1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Want info about Esquires!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dallasblues, Mar 1, 2012.

1. cnote

cnote Former Member

You'd be surprised how flexable an Esquire is, especially with Eldred or similar wiring. I didn't really start to learn to drive one until I started bringing an Esquire and nothin else to gigs and rehearsals. Bit of a learning curve, but the techniques and touch forced on you by doing everything on one pickup can be used to great effect on a Tele or any other guitar.

Makes a 2 pickup guitar seem almost decadent :)

2. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

I love the idea of getting by with the bare bones approach of a single pickup guitar. In fact, I loved my Les Paul Jr for the same reason. Do any of you guys miss having a neck pickup? Does this lack of position have any affect on your rhythm playing?

3. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes and Yes, but mainly for jazzy and melodic stuff. But I got more than one pair of shoes for a reason. I love a Tele neck PUP, but we are talking two different pair of shoes and two different uses. Esquire VS Tele depending on how both/each is set up.

Esquire here is a snarl caster, My Teles neck tone lean way woody.smooth.melodic etc. To me it is a knife/gun fight thing....

I may set up a total Eldred one again at some point... That mint green esquire guard is stashed in my parts place since I sold off my last 'normal' esquire. A 2004 MIM....

Attached Files:

4. cnote

cnote Former Member

Back off the tone and volume and strum up by the fingerboard for a nice warm, round rhythm tone that sounds (to me on my rig) pretty close to a tele neck pickup. Get some thumb flesh on the strings along with the pick and you can really dial it back and get a nice mellow tone. For regular sort of strummin just season to taste with your knobs, pick angle, where ya strum and how hard ya hit it.

With Esquires you become intimate with the volume and tone knobs.

5. robt57

No doubt. but doing the same things with the right neck PUP is way outside the same window.... Exactly why Guitars are like Lays Potato chips.

I can not speak for anyone else, but my tempo doing triplet runs with my thumb is really lame... ;)

6. cnote

cnote Former Member

Very true. Dig the shoes analogy. I also play a regular Tele when it's to be called for; a a traditional Tele setup gets you more sounds and textures for sure.

Sometimes I'll bring both, sometimes I'll just bring one or the other. I think it has more to do with my mood than the band I'm playing with, but I'm not sure.If I'm feelin ornery, old and grumpy I'll rock an Esquire all night, if I'm in a better mood I'll bring a Tele and if I'm indecisive I'll bring both.

TeLAYScasters. Betcha can't play just one.

7. robt57

:D:D:D

Someone is going to steal that for Tag line. ;)

8. DrOctagon

DrOctagon TDPRI Member

People say the lack of neck pickup allows for more resonance and sustain due to the absence of the extra magnetic pull. I don't know how true that is but I can see how it would make sense and my Esquire does have nice acoustic properties but the real magic, as others have said, lies in the wiring. Bypassing the tone pot gives it the 'raw, edgy, open', etc. sound that most people identify with an Esquire.

'Bridge' position bypasses tone pot and is basically stuck in 'wide open' mode with only volume control, which is a great sound, especially for overdriven lead tone. Really cuts. Can sometimes get into icepick territory depending on what amp you're using.
    Middle position gives you control over tone and volume adding a lot more flexibility. You'll be surprised how versatile this position can be when changing your playing dynamics. I find this the most useful above bedroom levels. Using my AC15 it can get into icepick land very quickly in the 'bridge' position when the volume gets above halfway. YMMV
    'Neck' position leaves the tone rolled all the way down to zero and can be OK for rhythm playing or jazz I guess but I find myself using this position least.
    I've also heard Esquires use an extra capacitor, but I'm not exactly sure of this.

By the way, Actionless, that daphne blue Esquire is one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen. Great color on a Tele-style body, can't believe it isn't used more.

9. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

This has been a great thread so far! I live hearing about these guitars. Can someone tell me what the Eldred mod is? Why is it named after an old lady? Ha! Seriously... I'd like to know what it is.

10. robt57

Search For Mike Eldred here. He is THE Fender Custom Shop presence over there at the Fender Custom Shop. Mike's schematic for that mod is here a ton of time in a ton of posts.

I doubt he has been accused of being an old lady before though...

11. Guitar Rat

Guitar Rat Tele-Meister

It's basically subbing the cap out in the first switch position in the Esquire wiring for a "cocked wah" sound--like if you have your wah wah on and balance it about halfway, then play through it. I find it's way more useful to have than the "dark cap" that is traditional Esquire wiring.

It's an intriguing flavor clean, and overdriven it can be dangerously awesome--along the lines of tones like ZZ Top's "La Grange" or Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing".

12. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

I purchased a used 2009 CV 50s Vintage Blonde Tele and had it converted to an Esquire. The selector has four positions and I eliminated the "bassy" tone selection. The two other positions engage capacitors with .0047 uf (cocked wah) and .0022 uf (half cocked wah). Highly recommended.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  13. cnote

cnote Former Member

Anyone else get strange looks from your family and loved ones when you talk about "cocked wahs."

14. robt57

I gave up on the .0047 and even use the .0022 with the tone control. Tone Pot dumped is as cocked Wah as I need, so no switches for C-Wah in use anymore for me. Unless there is tone control in the circuit. ;)

15. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

Ahh... That makes sense. Sounds like he came up with a pretty cool and useful mod. Obviously a lot of guys really like it.

16. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

17. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

I've converted my MIM Esquire to a "Telecaster" by adding a (Barden) neck pickup, but that's just me - love the Tele neck pickup tone and I missed it with the Esquire.

That said, an Esquire in the right hands can be something special.
    Case in point:

well, since I can't seem to get the direct link to work, maybe this will help:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA_Q19HFQig

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  18. Doth

Doth Tele-Afflicted

Here are two of the popular "cocked wah" mod diagrams:

Arlo Mod:
    [​IMG]

Eldred Mod:
    [​IMG]

Don

19. slack

slack Friend of Leo's

1956 Esquire. Your thread made me wake her. New she's throwing a fit through a 1964 Vibro Champ and I'm gonna need a martini.

[​IMG]

20. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

Yum! More pics?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.