Want a Tele, but am thinking '61 SG Maestro

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by plainfaced, Nov 13, 2019.

1. plainfaced

plainfaced TDPRI Member

So ive been hanging on this form a bit over the last few years... I love Teles. Lets face it, they are truly the best guitar out there... Soon after joining the forum, I built myself a Tele from a DIY kit.. After some upgrades, it was amazing.. But the neck was terrible, so we departed ways.

Now a year or so later, Im looking at a Fender Original 50's.. Now this will be a gift from my wife for a milestone birthday.. So there is some money to be spent.. But I do have an upper limit.

Thing is, after buying and selling a few lower-end to mid-range guitars over the years, I want to set my sights on the best you can buy... and for me that would be a Custom Shop 51 Nocaster relic... Its my dream Tele... Unfortunately, this is out of budget.

So to save getting a Tele, that I may not fall in love with (Original 50's)... I'm thinking of going to the guitar next in line - A Gibson SG Standard '61 Maestro Vibrola.

My thought process here is, eventually get two of my dream guitars, and hang on to them for life.. A Custom Shop Telecaster (after a few more years of saving), and a Gibson SG Standard 61.

Anyway.. Anyone own a 2019 61 Standard? Thoughts?

Fretting out likes this.
  2. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Try to find a 61 Les Paul jr. in an SG shape. Mind blowingly good. I had one on loan as I would not sing without a guitar. That's the guitar to get IMHO.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Love my 61SG ri...think mid 2000s year
    Not sure about tailpieces..I dont like
    anything that make take it out of tune
    even though they are vintage looking.
    If you need the vibrola I guess go for it.
    ps..make sure has 57classics in there.

4. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

An Esquire would be nice as well as cost efficient.

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

My buddy ( note: a Vintage/ Vintage- style guitar, bass, and amp collector- but I seem to play his stuff more than he does) owns a '61 SG RI with 57 Classics and through a '68 Super Reverb, this combination sounds amazing, clean and overdriven- no pedals, just guitar Volume ( and Tone) controls, and of course amp volume ( which does really play into guitar response)- a Super is just a great amp, for any guitar

To compare buying ' either/or' a Tele or an SG is just something I can't process-

These are 2 wonderful yet completely different guitars ( neck attachment, scale length, body wood, pickups

What do YOU want to hear, want to play?

6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Thought the op still had a tele.
    Well of course tele, then all others. (*lol)
    Sort of like you need a toolbox then
    you can get screwdrivers and hammers, etc.

7. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

I don’t own one but am having gas also
    I think those new sgs look awesome

I can’t decide between a maestro Or sideways vibrola

8. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

I'm a sucker for the sg with a maestro, have most the parts for a build when I finish our house renovation. If you use light trem I think they sound great and arent too bad with tubing issues. The 61 with a sideways on the other hand... cool sounding trem but aweful to get used to.

9. Shayo

Shayo TDPRI Member

The SG is a cool guitar but it is very different than a Tele. These are completely two different animals. If you want a good Tele there are ways to get one that was made by a small luthier and get around the high fender prices... I also highly recommend on Logan Guitars. He specializes in building teles and his prices are very reasonable for what the guitars he make. I have one of his guitars and it's truly singing..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

richiek65 and nojazzhere like this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

If you really like Telecasters, why not get something like a Squier Classic Vibe Tele ( with a really good set-up) and then just save your money for that dream guitar down the road? Fact is, you may be so happy with the CV that you forget it doesn't have that "status" decal on the headstock, and you just focus on PLAYING....;)

richiek65 and Binx like this.
  11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Get both.

rze99 and uriah1 like this.
  12. thx712517

thx712517 TDPRI Member

You've played SGs, you've played Telecasters.

Don't settle. If you know what you want, don't waste your money trying to make substitutions work. If that means the SG now and the Telecaster later, what's the rush?

13. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

One of each is a good thing. Here is my #1 and #2

[​IMG]

Zepfan, uriah1, Binx and 3 others like this.
  14. plainfaced

plainfaced TDPRI Member

Good to see some SG fans here..

Yeah, this is pretty much the plan. I don't want to settle on a Tele, that is not my dream Tele.... That Tele can wait.

I've never liked Les Pauls, or Jnrs... I have heard the Juniors are great guitars. I just think the new 61 SGs look so nice.

Yeah. Love the look of the sideways trem. But in practice, it looks awkward..

Talked to the Wife last night too.. Told her I wanted a guitar. While she rolled her eyes she said 'If that's what you want, that's what you want'.. Done!

40th Birthday present done :)

15. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's

Having had an SG with a Vibrola, they vary in break angle of the strings over the bridge. Make sure that the specific one you acquire has enough of a break angle to hold the strings in place as you play. Mine didn't - the strings barely bent over the bridge, and the guitar would only play properly when I replaced the Vibrola with a stop tailpiece.

I have played SGs with Vibrolas which had enough string break, they were glorious.

fakeocaster likes this.
  16. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I have a 2019 Standard special edition in pelham blue, which is basically the 61 with different tuners (grovers) and white binding (not cream). It's a beautiful guitar. The only thing that could make it better is a maestro trem.

17. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I have a Tele.
    I have a Junior.
    I tried to have love for an SG, but they feel awkward in my hands.
    Get what you love most.
    It'll keep you happy longest.

18. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Meister

I'd get the SG and then sometime in the future the tele, as someone said before, get the SG and a used Classic Vibe, that way you'll have both worlds.

19. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Having both would be great. (I do.) My SG ('87 reissue '61 Les Paul/SG Custom... the 3 PU one) has become my go-to guitar even in competition with several other spiffy, pricey instruments. I find that mine has really wide-ranging voices (I have Frampton-style wiring that makes the middle PU really useful) as well as phenomenal action. It's quite a surprise, really, since so many SG players go for P90s or other fairly one-note setups. In my opinion, Clapton was at his best on his SG; Zappa. While many SG models are one dimensional (though great) it can absolutely be a versatile guitar and the good ones hold their ow alongside anything. As for vibrolas, though, they all simply suck. You can maybe get a setup that is not a disaster, but I would not myself ever, ever buy a SG w/ anything but a stopbar. And as versatile as a good Tele is, and I used one as my main player for a long time, I'll take my SG, thanks. Really good humbuckers -- mine has Shaws -- nail it.

20. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

I have a 2012 '61 RI Les Paul/SG w/the sideways trem.

Even though Gibson says that it was "Re-engineered" it's not any better than the original.

I hard-tailed mine, no more tuning issues!

fakeocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.