Wanna see what a "Lap Beagle" looks like?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Sep 4, 2019.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

What is it with dogs and thunder?

At the first rumble, my Bella (Beagle/Cocker Spaniel mix) was clamoring to get into my lap as I sat working at my desk. And she’s about 2 feet long and weighs 27 lbs., so not really a lap dog size. To complicate matters, my legs are short (30” inseam), so it makes her climbing up in my lap even more ridiculous. Plus it makes it hard to type.
    09-04-2019 - Bella seeking protection from thunder.jpg 09-04-2019 - Bella seeking protection from thunder - 2.jpg

FenderGyrl, Chinacat, Dan R and 18 others like this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

drf64, 24 track and brookdalebill like this.
  3. LGOberean

Looks like Toto made good use of his laptop time. ;) Bella just makes it hard for me. And this is hardly a recent development. The two pics above are from this morning. Here are two others, just from this year's folder of Bella pics, from two previous thunderstorm events.
    08-28-2019 - Bella, the thunder lap dog.jpg 04-18-2019 - Bella wants a lap - 3.jpg

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have two lap dogs. One is a 17 pound Boston terrier. The other is a 70 pound German Shepherd. I have a big lap.

Chinacat, drf64, Fretting out and 4 others like this.
  5. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I'm with the dog. Hate thunder.

Chinacat and Wally like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I love the pics! You can see she just wants to be near you. We took our new dog Alex to the groomer yesterday, we didn't have his hair cut, we thought it would be too much for his first visit, but we got him a bath and a comb out, and had his nails clipped too. Next time we'll get him groomed a little just to see how he looks with a haircut, not much, just a trim. Somehow taking him to the groomer made him and I both feel better, don't understand what happened there but we seem tighter now. Maybe it was because I dropped him off, then came back and got him, don't know, but the trip seemed to help us both. Toto was a once in a lifetime dog, but life goes on, having Alex around helps, it doesn't cure the ache in my heart, but it's sort of like taking pills for it.

Chinacat, Rowdyman, JimInMO and 4 others like this.
  7. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

We had a dog that would start freaking out about an hour before thunder got here. We had to give him doggy downers.

Our vet told us that dogs can sense the difference in barometric pressure. And that creates anxiety in some dogs.

LGOberean likes this.
  8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

My lap dogs...

CB25A9F0-78FE-491C-A24A-230563708184.jpeg I had a wonderful little mutt that I found in street in the late summer of 1996 when he was just a couple of months old. He hated thunder and fireworks....I figure he was subjected to a lot of firework activity as a very young pup. He lived with us until he passed in October, 2010. A friend, who was the mystic type, told me that we would soon get another dog that would look nothing like Obie but would be very much like him. A month later a 7 pound bag of bones Boston Terrier came to us....from a ‘breeder’ who was starving her. This little dog is very much afraid of thunder and fireworks just as Obie was....she is also a very loving dog just like Obie was.

The German Shepherd was left to die when some neighbors moved leaving her in 10 degree weather...no food, no water, no shelter. She is a great dog.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Chinacat, dr_tom, Rowdyman and 8 others like this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I know lots of different dogs are afraid of thunder, but Daisy, my Beagle/Dachsund mix would just FREAK OUT. Over time (years) she got better....when it would happen I'd let her get in my lap or beside me on the couch with her head in my lap, and I'd rub and comfort her. She's gone now, but I always think of her when we get thunder.
    Off subject, but I'm starting to get the itch for another dog now that weather's about to get better and will be easier to leash train and house-train. (if necessary) Looking on the Humane Society's website, there's one I may go see, a Terrier/Pit mix (almost EVERY dog they have has some pit in it....they must be aggressively amorous dogs) and her name is also Bella. I know any dog will learn to respond to any name, but I've found many rescue dogs, even if it's not their original name, seem to "fit" what the shelter gives them. I'll let you guys know if I adopt (or get adopted BY) a new dog.

10. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Good girl, Bella!

I've had dogs who were terrified of thunder - Whipper, an Italian Greyhound, would insist on getting on my lap at the first clap of thunder. She was about 50 pounds and all legs, so it was always a little clumsy.

Our current dog Scout doesn't give a crap. Thunder, fireworks, none of it bothers him. He's a chill dog. Which is good, because he weighs about 80 pounds and trying to jump into someone's lap would probably result in injury.

[​IMG]

- D

Chinacat, dr_tom, Rowdyman and 5 others like this.
  11. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

We used to have a mixed mutt growing up that was one of the smartest dogs I've known.

When it thundered, she would run outside, and "chase the thunder" out of the yard. She felt the obligation to keep her owners safe.

12. natec

natec TDPRI Member

"Lap Doodle". Remo is 40lbs, 3 years old. Hops into the recliner from time to time.

(... with apologies for cargo shorts.... At least I wasn't on a stage...) IMG_20190827_163343_01_01.jpg

13. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Looks like a nice beagle bet she’s got one heck of a bark (howl) ;) she looks loyal and just glad to be there
    My lap dogs a 14 pound 6 year old dachshund mix named Lois and she’s got the loudest bark in the world sheds like crazy and has separation anxiety if she can’t be right with me loyalist dog I’ve ever had

81B529DC-2EF0-4293-8799-46CEE91C8FDB.jpeg 0C46D433-E62F-4E2F-8648-C20F9110A687.jpeg
    She’s spotted like a cow has a pig belly and When she curls her legs up they look like chicken wings she’s one confused animal;) D2DDB17B-5CDA-44AD-852E-E9F70AC010C1.jpeg
    That’s her chicken wing

Chinacat, Rowdyman, Wally and 3 others like this.
  14. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Deleted

15. LGOberean

Fireworks has come up several times here. My Bella hasn't had any close experience with them. Thankfully, no one on our block is into that. We live three blocks from Corpus Christi Bay, and for the 4th of July the city has a fireworks display fired off from a barge in the bay, but it's far enough away that it doesn't seem to bother our pooch.

I can relate to your "once in a lifetime" reference, from experiences with both a canine and a feline. Bella is easily the once in a lifetime dog for us. She is the smartest, sweetest dog I've ever had, and she does want to be near me, especially when seeking comfort/protection...unless my wife is around, and then she becomes a mama's girl.

In my childhood, with but one exception when I was very young, I grew up with bigger dogs, as outside pets. My wife, OTOH, grew up with a beloved Dachshund as an indoor dog. In 43 years of marriage, to that point, we'd never had an indoor dog. So when we got Bella 3 years ago November, I thought I was doing my wife a favor. Little did I know how much this little girl would endear herself to me. And I've posted this pic more than once in various threads on TDPRI, but here's the little ball of cuteness just a couple of days after we brought her home...
    11-19-2016 - Bella beyond cute.jpg

As for a "once in a lifetime" feline, that would be Rocky. When our oldest daughter got a cat (a Russian Blue dubbed "Peter the Great"), our son and youngest daughter took that as permission to each get a cat themselves. So we had an outdoor dog and three indoor cats. Then, Thanksgiving Day that year my kids went to visit a friend across town at an apartment complex, and came home with a kitten about 6 weeks old. He had been abandoned when someone moved out, and he was hungry and cold. (It was actually what we consider cold that day.)

My kids knew what my reaction would be to a 4th indoor cat, so they didn't bring him into the house right away. They kept him out in our garage apartment, which was our son's room at the time. When they did bring him in, as expected, I said, "We're not keeping that cat!" In response, my son held him up by his forelegs and showing the kitten's polydactyl paws, and exclaimed "But he's got thumbs!" Here's a shot of this freaky feline...
    Rocky 1.JPG

I admitted he was certainly unusual, and cute, but I was determined to find someone to give him to. I sat down on the couch in the living room and called a friend that immediately came to mind. No answer. As I sat with phone in hand, trying to think of someone else to call, the kitten took matters into his own...paws. He clicked his way across the room on our hardwood floors (he had claws growing between his "thumbs" and the other toes, and couldn't retract them), crawled up my leg, past my belly and up onto my chest. He nestled in underneath my beard, settled down and started purring loudly. I put the phone down. I knew then and there that I had just been adopted.

I named him Rocky because when he curls up his legs in front of himself, as cats are wont to do, his extra digits/thumbs looked huge, like he had boxing gloves on. He was definitely my cat. I always said that he just figured I was a gray tabby too. He'd sleep on the bed beside me, especially when it was cold, and get in my lap while I was working at my desk or sitting in a recliner.
    Rocky 3.JPG April 004.JPG Larry&Rocky3.JPG

He had pneumonia from exposure, and so immediately after we got him we spent a fair chunk of change getting him healthy. He had respiratory issues throughout his life, but he lived to be almost 15. That was more than a decade ago, but I'll never forget him.

16. LGOberean

Interesting. I didn't go into the specifics of it in my OP, but Bella did the same thing this morning. Before I heard the first peal of thunder or even a drop of rain, she was in my office trying to get up into my lap. I knew it was overcast outside, so I wasn't caught off guard. Still, she knew before I could hear a thing.

Wallo Tweed and Wally like this.
  17. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Nice photos, Larry - and all the above! Dogs make our lives better. Other pets do, too. We're lucky to have the time we get to share with them.

- @LGOberean - the onliest thing I can see that is sort of off in the pictures is that Dallas Cowboy shirt...but I guess we all got our crosses to bear...having grown up near Denver, there is only one pro football team that gets my attention.

StrangerNY likes this.
  18. LGOberean

My oldest daughter has two German Shepherds. My son-in-law is pretty strict about keeping the canines off the furniture, so I don't really think of them as lap dogs. One is a bit standoffish anyway. The other is very affectionate, and I think would be a lap dog if allowed to do so.

We kinda picked the name "Bella" by accident. My faulty memory was that the dog Snoopy in Peanuts had a sister named "Bella." And of course since bella is Italian for "beautiful," we liked that, so Bella it was. And turns out it's a very popular name for a dog. Only later did I catch my error; Snoopy's sister was "Belle."

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. LGOberean

"Whipper"? Did you also have a pet turtle named "Snapper"? :twisted:

Wow! That's a new one on me. Never heard of a dog doing that!

A 40 lb. "lap doodle"?!? :eek: That sounds like one big personal accident! :oops::twisted:

nojazzhere and StrangerNY like this.
  20. LGOberean

Bella's coat is unusually silky for a Beagle, we believe because her mother was a Cocker Spaniel. (We call her a Bocker Speagle. :rolleyes:) And because she's multi-colored, she can shed in black, white or brown. And she has similar spots...
    06-11-2019 - Bella 'penitent'.jpg

You're a Broncos fan living in Houston? Boy! Talk about having a bear to cross! :twisted:

Bella turns 3 years old next month, so we're hoping for another good decade or more with her in our lives. Already can't picture life without her.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.