Wanna Give My Buddy Pickups As A Gift

tbarrnes

TDPRI Member
Hi All,
Wanna send my buddy a Tele bridge and neck pickup as a gift for a body I gave him several years ago.
But I don't wanna spend very much money. Can you tell me the best bang for the buck that still sounds great?

Thanks!!!

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
I got Wilkinson WOVTA Alnico 5s for mine and love them. I don't think you can do better for $32.99 unless you're after a specific style or want real hot pickups. These are strong, but not real "hot". I'd be happy to make some demo recordings or something if you want a sample of something in particular.

More details and a couple very quick demos of them in my $99 Monoprice Tele in this "review" thread: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/wilkinson-wovta-alnico-5-set.1087369/

Last edited:

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Hi All,
Wanna send my buddy a Tele bridge and neck pickup as a gift for a body I gave him several years ago.
But I don't wanna spend very much money. Can you tell me the best bang for the buck that still sounds great?

Thanks!!!
Like @smoothrecluse already mentioned, there's only one logical choice for you.....Bootstrap Pickups. There's LOTS of great pickups available out there, but Bootstraps is as good as any of them, and at an incredible price. smoothrecluse suggested the Palo Duro set......I use the Palo Duro neck pickup, and the Pretzel bridge in both my Teles. Great balance and sound. We're talkin' under $50 for a pair, and worth far more. Oh, and made in an Ohio garage in the U.S.of A.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Bootstrap!!

I have the Palo Duros in my partscaster, and I really like them.

For the money, Bootstrap can’t be beat.

+1 for Bootstrap! I've used their Pretzel bridge pickup in 2 builds and it did not disappoint.
However, it's wound hot - so it depends on what type of music he wants to do.
Fortunately, Bootstraps come in several flavors - and they're all $49 for a set of 2 (neck and bridge).
Plus they're hand wound in a garage in Ohio, so US made even.
I also love their P90s, which are like $60 a set.
And they will sell you pickups ala carte - for example if you want a bridge from one set and a neck from another.
Or a Tele bridge and a P90 neck like I did in a recent build and love it.
1642342734541.jpeg

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
You are a good friend to do this. I have enough trouble picking out pickups for myself. There are so many choices but I think these members have steered you in good directions. I really like the Squier Bullet Tele pickups if you find some used.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Does he have pickups in it now?

I agree about the Bullet pickups. You can usually find a used set for under $30. I just wax pot the neck because of microphonics. I also recommend Fender Tex-Mex pickups as a good value. Very similar to the Bullets IMO.