1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wanna build an amp cab...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TT2346, Nov 8, 2007.

1. TT2346

TT2346 TDPRI Member

Hello to all,
    Been lurking with nothing to contribute, but now I have an old question. I have a Vibro Champ which is a little anemic even in my bedroom playing. I intend to build my own cab, just a finished pine box, no tolex, to sit under my VC...maybe I will have an 18 watt clone(head) later on. The question is this : for home playing, not gigging at all, should I even consider a 1 x 12" cab or is the allure of a 2 x 10" cab the way to go?

I am leaning to a 2x 10" using 2 dissimilar 10" Eminence speakers, the Ramrod and Rajin' Cajun. Please note I have not even heard these speakers in any context, I am just going on the specs and descriptions offered by Eminence.I do favor raunchy blues guitar over very clean so please take that into consideration.

So the questions for the members are these...
    With a VC powering the cab until I can build a 18 watt clone, is 1 x 12 or 2 x 10 the way to go? Loudness is not an issue, my neighbors tolerate me :)

The 2 Eminence speakers are similar in their specs, 75 watt handling, 100db efficiency...Is 75 watt handling too much for the small power pumping from the VC? Should I lookk more to low wattage handling speakers?

Anybody do a similar cab build for a small watt amp? What did you use? What sonic results? Would you do anything different?

Anybody and everybody, please give me your best thoughts
    Thanx, Tom

2. bowlfreshener

bowlfreshener Friend of Leo's

I "built" a 1x12 cab for my Epiphone Valve junior head out of an old Crate combo amp I had. The 1x12 is good and loud, and more fuller and less boxy sounding than an 1x8 speaker I sometimes play through. I don't think I'd do anything different.

3. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

4. candh

candh Tele-Meister

If you are building with the intent to use it with an 18 watt then build a 1x12. If not a 1x12 then a....... 2x12.:D For 10's, anything less than a 4x10 just won't do IMHO.

Here is an 18 head a matching 1x12 I recently scratch built. Pine crates with a little vinyl slapped on em.;)

[​IMG]

5. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

I'd go with 2x10"s

6. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'd vote for the 2x10, too. You can also baffle it for a 1x12 if ya like as well, and try'em both out. Build the cab just a tad larger and you can also allow for 1x15 or 10/12 or 2x12 baffles! :cool:

As to cab building, IMO it's just a dang box, and length and height dimensions aren't all that important, but I do believe that the depth and back configuration (open, ported or closed) will better determine the cab's "voice". I also prefer naked cabs (uncovered), and I like using light, resonant pine over any other wood type. I build outta 3/4" white or sugar pine and half blind dovetail the box corners - but even a reinforced lap joint will work just fine. Another corner joint that works quite well is the box joint - but make no mistake, the half blind dovetail corner joint is the strongest.

Building a 2x10 speaker cab (a step by step pictorial) - www.frettech.com/rfc/cab/

7. marc sosnoff

marc sosnoff Tele-Holic

i am not well voiced haha on this subject but i thought there is a math equation called the Q-factor to make the cabinet to the correct specs for the speaker size to get enough air space in the cabinet to let the speakers work there best

8. Rob DiStefano

IMHO, cab dimensional formulas aren't really needed for guitar amp speaker cabs or combo cabs - it's the box's depth and back style that count most. Just ask Jim Marshall how he designed his famous 4x12. :cool: YMMV.

9. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Look at WinISD, a Windows program that helps calculate optimum sizes for speaker cabinets, based on speaker ratings and intended use.

Know however, that size/volume only matters in closed or ported cabs. Open-backed cabs can be any size or shape that fits the speakers. Also know that WinISD is primarily intended for making bass cabs, which need more to be closed/ported to better focus and control the power driving the speakers. That said, I'm sure the ideas are fine for guitar cabs.

Goos luck!

10. Rob DiStefano

Bass speaker/combo cabs, and audiophile speaker cabs DO require serious thought about their design, dimensions, materials and build. But not guitar cabs/combos, IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.