Wandering Boy Guitars - OLD SOUNDING, OLD LOOKING and OLD FEELING

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
The blues guitar should smell like stale beer and cigarette smoke, the case should smell like cat pee.

Good lord. Just when I thought I’d heard it all! I’d hate to hear what you expect the rest of your gear to smell like. Gag. Sounds like you’ve got a “thing” for cats. “Purr-ists” are a strange bunch, indeed.

Last edited:

zombywoof

Friend of Leo's
Dan, I just noticed a Stella Gambler on reverb. A mere $3699. My little Sovereign sold new in 1932 for 20 bucks (unless you need a dozen)

Schmidt would send you a free guitar if you subscribed to his mail order music lessons.

After a couple of decades this one remains my favorite. A Schmidt-made Galiano jumbo.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Mine seriously needs a reset and I'm scared to death to do it. When I asked Neil Harpe about the mother of toilet seat fretboard he said to be very careful. I'm not worried about doing the actual work, just taking it apart. For right now its tuned to G and sees a lot of slide action

IMG_5762.JPG

I love that sparkly gold rosette and purfling.

zombywoof

Friend of Leo's
The builder does have his spiel down. The archetype blues guitar is, of course, the Schmidt Stella. And quite a cottage industry has arisen in selling new versions. Ironically at the same time another cottage industry has come forward - this one in converting ladder braced guitars to X braced instruments.

I do wish the builder luck but for me when it comes to ladder braced guitars while I do own some of the originals which he is basing his on I still find it hard to beat a good old Harmony Sovereign or Kay K24. These two brands were everywhere during the "re-discovery" of the blues when the folk music revival hit in the late-1950s. About the best thing you can do with these (after getting the neck reset) is to dump the Harmony pinless bridge and those bizarre Kay wrap around bridges and replace them with a pin bridge and maple bridge plate. Just improves the efficiency of the top and makes them more responsive.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Funny thing....

I just bought a heavy relic Broadcaster. Love the heavy relic finish!

I have a Collings D1A and want to keep it as mint as possible!

Relic acoustics.....nah man..... Just don't look right....

zombywoof

Friend of Leo's
A relic’d acoustic bothers me more than a relic’d electric.

Pre-War Guitars also offer relic'd acoustics. And I sure would not kick one of those, relic'd or not, out of bed. But to me a "relic" is just another finish option. So I am not for them and I am not against them. What I do know though is that every time I look at say the hand rubbed bursts on my 1920 and 1932 Gibsons while they do look great I cannot help but wonder at how glorious they must have looked when those guitars were a brand new and shiny. I kinda feel cheated.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I couldn't find any info on pricing and wasn't going to waste their time asking, since I'm pretty sure it's out of my range.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Another fine build of this style guitar is Todd Cambio at Fraulini Guitar. His guitars are played by several of the really great modern blues men such as Paul Geremia and with a little work you can get an idea of his prices from his web site (or you can contact him)

http://fraulini.com/

Todd was very helpful when I built my ladder braced 12 string - he has done a very accurate clone of Leadbelly's big stella.

zombywoof

Friend of Leo's
Another fine build of this style guitar is Todd Cambio at Fraulini Guitar. His guitars are played by several of the really great modern blues men such as Paul Geremia and with a little work you can get an idea of his prices from his web site (or you can contact him)

http://fraulini.com/

Todd was very helpful when I built my ladder braced 12 string - he has done a very accurate clone of Leadbelly's big stella.

Todd's guitars are fantastic. Alvin Youngblood Hart plays one of his 12 strings so 'nuff said. But his guitars also come with a pretty hefty price tag. I am not sure if he still does but Mike Hauver used to build a really fine version of a Holzapfel 12 string.

GoldDeluxe5E3

Tele-Afflicted
In my youth, I started my guitar journey with weekly lessons. One week, I wasn't prepared for my lesson because I hadn't practiced all week due to a lack of time to do so. See, it was summer, and screwing around was taking up all my time.

I didn't want to bear the shame of being unprepared, so I took a spoon and a butter knife and "reliced" my guitar as proof that I'd really tried.

That's exactly what relicing is on a new guitar.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Todd's guitars are fantastic. Alvin Youngblood Hart plays one of his 12 strings so 'nuff said. But his guitars also come with a pretty hefty price tag. I am not sure if he still does but Mike Hauver used to build a really fine version of a Holzapfel 12 string.

Paul Geremia and Ben Harper both play(ed) Fraulinis, there are some great videos and sound clips on Todd's web site.

Inspired by this thread I got both my old Stella six string and the 12 string Stella clone out last night and just spent the evening picking old blues. The little guitar was in open G and I mostly played slide, the big old 12 was four steps down and just wanted to rumble. Neither is a "pretty" sounding guitar, but both sound good.

I need to come to grips with the neck angle on the six string - I would pay to have this done right but I don't know who to take it to. I'm perfectly capable of resetting the neck, but that pearloid fretboard scares me.

Anyway, they are special guitars and my hat is off to both the people who play them and who build and maintain them.

Reactions: BB