Wampler Velvet Fuzz

zimbo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I saw this video on YouTube and was pretty impressed. I thought it was too good to be true that you could get an EJ sound like Cliffs from one pedal. I ended up buying the pedal and was not impressed. Lots of hiss and a sound that can only be described as disappointing. I tried it through two Fender tube amps and the pedal just didn't deliver. I think it's false advertising for Wampler to put up a video that makes false claims.

luckett

Banned
I think it's false advertising for Wampler to put up a video that makes false claims.

How can there be false claims when they didn't make any claims at all in that video?

Last edited:

Iago

Friend of Leo's
I saw this video on YouTube and was pretty impressed. I thought it was too good to be true that you could get an EJ sound like Cliffs from one pedal. I ended up buying the pedal and was not impressed. Lots of hiss and a sound that can only be described as disappointing. I tried it through two Fender tube amps and the pedal just didn't deliver. I think it's false advertising for Wampler to put up a video that makes false claims.

You ought to find that strange when lots of people love the Velvet Fuzz, huh? The pedal has been around for some years now, would that happen if it were (consistently) that bad? Maybe you got a dud.

brobar

Tele-Holic
As Brian says in the video... you can't trust demo videos. How a pedal sounds to him (with his amp, amp settings, guitar, pickups, how it is mic'd, pedal settings, video/audio compression, etc...) may and probably will sound different than your setup unless you have the EXACT same setup as his.

Which is why he says (and has said on numerous occasions) you have to get the pedal in your hands first and try it before you buy it.

I've only purchased Wampler's used for that very reason... so I could test them out with my own equipment!

Just like I would never buy a car without test driving it first... rarely if ever will I buy a pedal without testing it first.

So if you can't find 'em used (save yourself some money and try before you buy) then purchase new through a dealer that has a 30-day return policy and you'll be covered.

But yeah... product demos aren't to be trusted. You gotta try it for yourself.

Oh... and I think that only sounds like EJ's tone in that video more because of how the guy is playing it and less because of the effect(s). It sounds like EJ because it is an EJ song and the guy plays it halfway decent, but I think it is a pretty far cry from EJ's tone.

I think Brian mentions that in the other video as well... HOW someone plays can affect the tone you are hearing in a video as well.

Last edited:

ndeli55

Tele-Afflicted
You mentioned using two fender amps, fender amps notoriously dislike fuzz. They replicate the hard edges of the square wave really well. Try driving the amp with an OD or distortion and run the fuzz in behind that. Also, roll the volume back to soften it.

Fuzz is not easy to master, and just plugging in can leave you wanting. There is a chance you've received a bad one, in that case, I'm sure wampler will make it right

Lobomov

Friend of Leo's
Ok .. I had the opposite experience. It is one of the most stable fuzz pedals out there that doesn't need much from neither guitar or amp.

Love my VF :)

lespaul74

TDPRI Member

What did you think it would make you sound like EJ and you are blaming Wampler that it didn't? Also, most fuzzes have hiss and make noise, pickup radio signals, but that isn't a defect, just the nature of the beast. When you play in a band situation, that noise gets drowned out. I tried one awhile ago and it sounded fine, but I didn't sound like EJ. Don't blame the pedal, blame the player.;)

Last edited: