1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wampler Ego compressor or Barber Tone Press?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by klobasa, Jul 15, 2016.

1. klobasa

klobasa Tele-Holic

Hi,

I want to get a compressor with "blend" feature and have narrowed down to these two. Of course there is still the Xsotic SP, but based on couple of days on googling opinions I ruled that one out (don't anymore remember why...). I would use the compressor "always on" to smooth out my playing to a clean(-ish) amp. I use humbucker guitar exclusively.

The Wampler is more tweakable, but it is 70€ more expensive (250€ vs 180€). Though I'm not sure if I need the extra tweaks. There prices are kinda making me sick :)

Which way to go?

2. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

I say neither. Go with the TC Electronics HyperGravity. Should be around 130 Euros.

CAAD8N8 and soulman969 like this.
  3. klobasa

klobasa Tele-Holic

Anyone?

4. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Nothing at all wrong with the Xotic SP, especially if you're looking to save a few bucks and some pedalboard real estate. Works great, very flexible.

5. klobasa

klobasa Tele-Holic

I think the comments about SP being noisier than the two others was the reason why I kinda ruled that one out.

6. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

I understand your concern. It may have more to do with the rig it's plugged into, since any good compressor will amplify any low hiss or hum that's already there. But I have nothing to compare it to so it may be those other pedals handle it better. I'm real happy with mine and don't notice it introducing any noise problems. But then I use it on the low setting, with a slight boost and it sounds great, I keep it always on. I have read some complaints of noise on the high setting. There's also a lot of nice reviews like this where people prefer it over the other pedals and say it is not noisey even on high. I guess the only way to find out is to try it with your rig and see. You can always order one of the compressors from Sweetwater and return it if you don't bond with it. I'm sure those other pedals are great too it would be nice to compare them or hear from someone who has.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I picked up a Wampler ego used. It's an excellent choice and the blend feature is superb you can get it to seem barely there to very compressed and it is not noisy. You may need to wait a while to get a used one.

Gatordad likes this.
  8. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I'd get a handmade Barber Tone Press for that or less all day long waaaay before I got a hypergravity, but maybe I'm just being snobby.

Also, Dave Barber was kinda doing the whole blend knob thing WAY before it was popular.

Also, the tone press now comes in surf green!

Good luck. I havent turned off the compact tone press for 2 years.

sanfi4u and gentlyweeping like this.
  9. klobasa

klobasa Tele-Holic

Thanks for your replies. One other option would be Diamond Compressor (used). I know it doesn't have the blend knob, but it seems to be a very transparent comp anyway. Any thoughts on Barber vs Diamond?

10. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Try one of those pedal rental companies.

11. Crawfish

Crawfish Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for the Tone Press, sounds great. I have mine set on the "Magic dust for single coils" setting and it's always on. Fantastic quality build as well.

Surf Green? Yikes. I may have to get another one to go with my red one!

songtalk and gentlyweeping like this.
  12. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

Barber Tone Press all the way! transparent and very musical, easy to use.

13. voodoo tele

voodoo tele Tele-Meister

+1for the ego

14. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

+1 for the Barber. I didn't like any of the compressors that I tried till I found this. I've got an older model so I don't know how the newer models compare but I find it very useable

15. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Like you, I use a comp as an always on effect to smooth things out a little - no extreme settings.
    Barber Tone Press or Mooer Yellow (Diamond clone). I have a Barber on my big board and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. The Mooer is small and inexpensive but very good quality. I love it on my small board.
    I've played through the Ego several times and never really dug it compared to my Tone Press. It is very quiet and has good fidelity, maybe a little heavy on the bass though. Not really "transparent" enough for me - by which I guess I really mean subtle. The Tone Press's mix/blend function is better implemented than the Ego's, imo.
    The Mooer, like the Diamond it clones is very subtle but definitely adds a nice "sparkle" and smooths things out well. The eq knob works great, too.

16. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

If you choose between Wampler Ego and Bareber Tone Press I'll go Tone Press any day. But TP vs Diamond Comp is a different story. I'd choose Diamond.
    Actually I did it. :). I have Diamond Compressor SE Limited Edition and soundwise it's one of the best compressors in a stomp box format on the market. It's a safe bet.
    Minor hint: Don't miss Lumpy's Tone Shop OS-3 Compressor. It's well built, has blend knob, sounds fantastic and is very reasonably priced. I see just one drawback: it's hard to get one. But if you'll manage to find OS-3 - just grab it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My rule of thumb is less than four knobs use it as an effect, four knobs or more for final polish to your tone. Out of the ones mentioned, I'd go with the Wampler, but I have never used one. I'll throw in a used Empress for the only one you'll ever need.

Gatordad likes this.
  18. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Really like my Barber, but barely use it.
    Go figure

19. jmclaren

jmclaren Tele-Holic

I've owned both. Prefer the Barber. Smaller platform, too.

20. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Tele-Meister

I've owned the old Tone Press, great compressor and easy to use. I never tried the Ego but it would be a good choice, I guess.
    I use an Empress compressor.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.