Walnut top Tele & the second "Rockmaster"

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by blackbelt308, Aug 16, 2010.

1. blackbelt308

blackbelt308 Tele-Holic

Just finished up two builds that were conceived of and started in February! (whew!)

First up is a semi-hollow T-style guitar... Some may recall that Marc Rutters listed a bunch of bodies for sale here back in the late winter. Here's one that I snagged from him:

[​IMG]

Bookmatched claro walnut top over a chambered limba body! Gorgeous figuring in that walnut!

And here's what I was able to do with it:

[​IMG]

I started with about four coats of Tru-Oil applied using a pad of grey synthetic steel wool (to bring out the figuring), followed by a dozen coats of nitro lacquer. Marc did a great job on all of the routs, and taught me a neat trick with the pickup switch (look, no screws!). Thanks Marc!!

[​IMG]

Big thanks to Curtis Novak for the pickups! I have a set of Curtis's pups in my Jazzmaster, including a JM-90 at the bridge, and they are fabulous. I asked Curtis to wind me a set of P-90s with a bridge pup that would match the nasty growl of the JM-90, and a neck pup that would give me the warm tones of a vintage archtop. He delivered! The bridge is a stainless steel Hipshot hardtail, and I put a set of gnarly Glendale Grip-o-matics on there...

[​IMG]

The neck is an amber-tinted Allparts TMO-V. I have a nice flamey TMO-Fat that I was intending to use, but the finish is a little too pale. So I guess I'll stick with the V for now...

[​IMG]

The guitar set up very nicely, and the tones are terrific. There is good twang on the bridge pup, and it gets nasty when cranked. The neck is warm and much more versatile than I expected at different volumes and with various pedals. Very happy with this one!

Next up is the second of my "Rockmaster" series of builds. You may remember seeing my post of the first one, a Jazzmaster-style guitar with SG Special accouterments:

[​IMG]

Here's the second one, clearly Tele-inspired!

[​IMG]

Special thanks go out to a bunch of guys for assistance on this one... First, thanks to Tommy at USACG for supplying a perfect one-piece swamp ash body and nailing the custom routs! (He did the mahogany RM body too!) Next, big thanks to local boy Chris Kroenlein (K-line Guitars) for helping nail the BSB color coats! (I also need to thank Chris for a lot of fun and helpful conversation. He's a great guy, amazing builder, and has a lot of sweet guitars in his basement!) Next up for kudos is Owen Duffy of O.C. Duff Pickups... Last year, I scored one of Owen's early "Redd Volkaert" winds and popped it in an Esquire partscaster. The thing absolutely kills! So when planning this guitar, I asked Owen if he could work his magic once again. He did. If you're interested, ask Owen for an RV wind on Alnico V magnets. The resistance on mine is 10.74K. Big, big pickup but with amazing clarity across the board. Last bit of thanks go to Tony Dudzik at Pickguardian for providing a variation on his "Telemaster" pickguard.

[​IMG]

I spent a lot of time thinking about the neck pickup on this one... I ended up going with my first choice: a Lollar Firebird pickup. No regrets, it's awesome! Fender vintage bridge plate and Glendale brass compensated saddles.

I expect that some may not be crazy about the control placement on this guitar... I wanted to do something different than what you see on most of the "Telemaster" builds where the Tele-style control panel seems placed too close to the edge of the JM body. I also like having the controls back a bit from the bridge so I don't crash into them with my hand while strumming wildly! To tell the truth, if I had known Marc's switch-mounting trick when I designed this body, I would have put a 3-way switch in front of the volume knob. Oh well; next time! But this is a good configuration for me, so I'm happy!

[​IMG]

Used an Allparts neck on this one too: TMO-Fat (love 'em!) finished in amber-tint nitro lacquer. Nice, thick Callaham neck plate too!

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking! Hope you enjoyed 'em!
    Rick

2. Marco_NL

Marco_NL TDPRI Member

Those are some fine looking guitars!

Kinda curieus how you mounted that switch without screws!

3. ckroenlein

ckroenlein Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Nice job Rick! It was fun working with you. Keep on the keepin on!

4. OuttaspaceMan

OuttaspaceMan Tele-Afflicted

All three looks really well built. The grains on the 1 piece ash on the telemaster is very exotic and beautiful =)

Btw.. Among the three, which is your personal favorite?

Congrats on them!

5. blackbelt308

blackbelt308 Tele-Holic

Thanks for the kind words!

Depends on the song I'm playing! ;)

Thanks,
    Rick

6. tooncaster

tooncaster Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.