1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Walnut Telehawk build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by trilby, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Fatcat211

Fatcat211 Tele-Meister

I also broke a screw in my northern ash guitar body. I learned a great way to get broken screws out. Get a tiny brass tube that has an inside diameter just about the size of the broken screws shaft. Use a hacksaw blade and cut small teeth into the circular end of the tube. Chuck the tube up in your hand drill and you now have a mini hole saw the exact size of the offending screw. Once you get it out, you just have to fill the hole with the correct size dowel and re-drill.

Here is a link to where Jack Wells explains the procedure with excellent pictures.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-hom...ner-screw-how-break-out-plug.html#post1991988

2. trilby

trilby TDPRI Member

Well, I lucked out. I decided I'd give the vise grips one more try, and I must have managed to find a sweet spot because I was able to back it out. After opening up the holes slightly to ensure it wouldn't happen again, the bridge is mounted and the guitar is strung up. Neck and bridge alignment look perfect, and intonation is pretty darn good considering I just eyeballed the saddles when putting them back on.

Tonight I'll hopefully get the neck pickup and output jack installed, and with any luck by the end of the weekend have it fully up and running with the controls.

Attached Files:

3. trilby

trilby TDPRI Member

By the way, one thing I want to say (wish I could edit an old post but I can't) is that my earlier comments about the neck holes in the body may have come off as disparaging Brian G.'s work and Tomahawk bodies. The Telehawk body is fantastic, and despite some inconvenience in fixing the holes - which I am sure was an atypical accident and not indicative of Brian's craftsmanship - I do not regret buying this body for a second. Should Brian ever return to making guitar bodies, I would not hesitate in recommending his work.

4. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Tele-Holic

Last I heard Brian had suspended his business. He had an unfortunate incident with a power tool, took time off to recover, came back, but then ceased operations shortly thereafter.

5. trilby

trilby TDPRI Member

Yeah, the power tool incident was shortly before I started looking at his stuff I think. Before he shut down he mentioned that he was starting a new job and was suspending operation until he got a better sense of his time commitments. I'm guessing the new job either keeps him far busier than before or during his hiatus he found his interest in the craft was waning.

6. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

7. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Tele-Holic

Amputation from a table saw IIRC.

8. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

Keep Us Updated! It seems its gonna be a looker!

9. trilby

trilby TDPRI Member

Finally done! It's been a long, drawn-out assembly, but very worth it. My worries that I'd somehow managed to misalign the neck/bridge/pickups/etc. has been put to rest; everything seems to gel beautifully. The guitar balances beautifully, and the semi-hollow body keeps it from being a back-breaker.

The Wilde pickups are fantastic. The L298TL in the bridge has plenty of P90-ish beef, yet can still manage to twang like a great Tele pickup. The L610 3.6H in the neck is strong and warm, yet still has some great upper end. The tone bypass switch on the volume pot may be a little over the top for some, but so far it's been putting a smile on my face. The Q-Filter - attached to the tone pot and accessed via the push/pull - wonderfully does what it claims to do: provide a full sweep from full, strong high-inductance output to smooth, sweet low inductance output. I can go from beefy P90 to vintage Tele and all points in between.

Hopefully I'll get to making some sound clips soon, but for now... pictures (sorry for the quality; the lighting isn't the hottest).

Attached Files:

10. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

I would like to see some pics under better lighting, please.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.