Walnut Parlor Guitar -Slight Return

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Sep 5, 2019.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Fall means it's time to put an acoustic guitar together. Two years ago I did a walnut parlor and really like it. Last year I did a maple parlor and didn't care for it so much. I have about 10 walnut back and side sets and another 10 rosewood sets. A lifetime supply at this rate.

This guitar uses the same pattern as #1. Kind of Martin-ish. Originally I made all my acoustic patterns out of posterboard, but the last few have been plywood. I cut one out of what looks like underlayment.

Here's the drawing I used with the X carve.

parlor pattern.png

After cutting it out:

pattern1.jpg

pattern2.jpg

MM73, nojazzhere and crazydave911 like this.
  2. guitarbuilder

I had decided to make a new universal workboard that was smaller. My original was patterned after the 1980 model at the Charles Fox GRD school. As it turns out that was better for a dreadnaught size guitar or 000, of which I made about 3-4 of each since. That workboard made this parlor business a bit more difficult because the slots didn't always end up in the right spot for a smaller guitar.

I drew up a drawing and the X carve cut it out. It's not like you press a button and it pops out. You have to convert the drawing to a toolpath first and edit it so you end up with what you want. Many times you end up with what you don't want and you have to fix it. :)

assy1.jpg

assy2.jpg

I flipped it over and cut a dado and groove for the support pieces. Those slots are to hold vertical dowels with 1/4" bolts in them that are held in place with a wingnut and washer.

assy3.jpg

assy4.jpg

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. guitarbuilder

Now it's time for a kit of parts. Stewmac will sell you one for 4-600 dollars but they don't have a parlor one, just a D or 000 style. A guitar will need a fretboard, a back plate,top plate, bent sides, a neck and end block, spruce braces, mahogany braces, lining or tantelons, a bridge and bridge plate, and binding. I have a quite few sets of B grade spruce. It's cheap and has imperfections. It works fine for me. The woodworking is just jointing the mating edges and then sanding it down. You could plane it down too. I prefer the thickness sander. With that done, the X carve cut it out as well as a rosette channel. Again...it sounds easy but you aren't seeing the top that got ruined when the rosette was cut in the wrong spot because the X carve did exactly what I told it to do....drill it in the wrong spot. Before CNC, I used a router and trammel set up to make my rosette channels. That works too.

top1.jpg

top2.jpg

top3.jpg

top4.jpg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  4. guitarbuilder

The rosette was made on the X carve with some scraps of mahogany that I had sitting here. I drew a circle and cut it up into segments. Then I created a toolpath for 4 of those segments and cut them out. I did this 3 times to make 12 pieces. Because the X carve was not perfectly calibrated, I had to fit them by sanding the edge a little.

segments.jpg

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. guitarbuilder

I picked the best 10 and epoxied them in. The wax paper keeps the clamping caul from sticking to it. segments2.jpg

crazydave911 and MM73 like this.
  6. guitarbuilder

After the epoxy is cured, I thickness sanded the top down and cut the top out of the waste.

segments3.jpg

segments4.jpg

segments 5.jpg

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. guitarbuilder

A similar process for the back. Joint the two pieces and thickness sand it down. Then cut it out. The top and back are cut out with about 1/4" extra material on the edges all the way around.

back.jpg

back2.jpg

back3.jpg

8. guitarbuilder

Sides involve thinning them and jointing them on the edges. I cut off a couple narrow strips to be used as walnut binding. Sides get sanded to about .085 thick for easy bending on the fox bender. My sander is a Delta 31-250. It is one of the worst machines I ever owned. The belt tracking is kind of hard to get exact. The clamping mechanism is difficult to deal with when installing a sanding strip, and parts are now unavailable. It's no wonder they discontinued it and came up with a new and improved model. I could go on about the deficiencies but that's enough.

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. guitarbuilder

After sanding the walnut side with two binding strips adjacent to the edge get put into the Fox bender. I spray it with water on both sides before inserting it into the slats.
    The bender is preheated for 10 minutes until water sizzles and evaporates off the top of the spring steel slat. First the screw and shoe gets cranked down into place to set the waist. then the lower and upper bouts are bent and held into place. 10 minutes to cook. 20 minutes to cool at least before removal.

fox 1.jpg

fox 2.jpg

fox3.jpg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Skydog1010 and crazydave911 like this.
  10. guitarbuilder

This fox bender is heated by 3 higher wattage bulbs. The walnut bends nicely.

fox4.jpg

fox 5.jpg

fox6.jpg

crazydave911 and Skydog1010 like this.
  11. guitarbuilder

The second side and binding were just done yesterday and look remarkably like the first side.

I trimmed them down and they are residing in the assembly board.

sides in board.jpg

12. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

I love these builds. I would ask you to make one for me while you've got all parts out but the idea that I need another guitar sitting around while I am trying to reduce the count seems a bit counterproductive. :)

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. guitarbuilder

The fretboard is quartersawn walnut. I resawed a slice off of a thicker plank I had here. It got a 12" radius on the Xcarve and a 1/2" D round nose bit.

Slotting took place on my stewmac slotting system at 25.562" and the holes were drilled at the drill press. Dots were punched out of .090 pickguard material scrap and duco'd in.

The sides were cut off on the bandsaw and sanded to the line to create the taper. The excess at the ends were cut off with a small hand razor saw.

fb1.jpg

fb2.jpg

fb3.jpg

fb4.jpg

fb5.jpg

crazydave911 and Skydog1010 like this.
  14. guitarbuilder

I can make up some parts for you if you like...you can't have too many unfinished guitars around.

15. guitarbuilder

The scrap from the back is large enough to make a peghead overlay.

I jointed the edges again and clamped them together. After 30 minutes I scraped off the glue squeeze out. The next day I ran both sides through the sander to level it all out.

overlay1.jpg

overlay2.jpg

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Marty the smells and sweat you're bringing back is heady stuff,well done :D

17. guitarbuilder

The lining was made on the x carve with a 1/16 bit. This was the first time I tried this and it worked out pretty nicely.

lin1.jpg

lin2.jpg

lin3.jpg

lin4.jpg

18. guitarbuilder

The burning walnut and sweat from wondering if it cracked?? LOL

crazydave911 and MM73 like this.
  19. guitarbuilder

Braces are cut on the bandsaw off a bracewood billet and thickness sanded to thickness. I think I'll do a single X brace configuration on this guitar.

brace1.jpg

brace2.jpg

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. guitarbuilder

The pyramid bridge was x carved off a hunk of walnut. I have used this particular program on all the pyramid bridges I've made and it works out nicely. This is the beauty of CNC because I didn't have to do much more than stick the wood down and press the make a bridge button. Double sided duct tape holds it down to the table.

b10.jpg

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

photondev and crazydave911 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.