Walnut/Maple Tele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by closinggaps, Feb 12, 2014.

1. closinggaps

closinggaps TDPRI Member

Just started a new build today while working on a few others. The few others a double cut similar to a 335 or something, an offset and a walnut tele and the new one is a violin bass.
    Here's the tele:
    [​IMG]
    And here's the another:
    [​IMG]]

Do you guys have any suggestions for cheapish 6-in-line tuners for the tele?

2. Chocklit_Thunda

Chocklit_Thunda TDPRI Member

Nice work!
    Wilkinson EZ- Lock tuners aren't half bad.

3. closinggaps

closinggaps TDPRI Member

Thanks for the tip they look pretty good.

4. closinggaps

closinggaps TDPRI Member

Its been much longer than I had anticipated getting back to this thing. In addition to school winding down this years challenge got me a bit more motivated.

I wrapped up this guy:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And laid up and shaped the pickguard and mounting ring for this tele:
    [​IMG]

As well as routing the binding channels a while back. If my finals schedule permits perhaps I'll get the thing bound this week.

5. closinggaps

closinggaps TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

Dropped the cavities early this week using a homemade pickup template, and various forstner bits.
    Then delved into my first binding attempt. A few weeks ago I got this bending iron welded up and used a soldering iron for the tighter curves.
    [​IMG]

Double Bound Baby! I always wanted a bound Tele and I've always been told if you can't afford it, make it, if you can't make it you don't need it. Guess its a good thing I can make it...
    [​IMG]

Had some small issues bending the cherry but for my first time I'm pretty happy with it.

6. Model T

Model T Tele-Holic

Binding looks really nice. How thick was the cherry?

7. closinggaps

closinggaps TDPRI Member

Thank you. It was all a bit over a 1/16th. I think part of my problem with it was the binding strips had soaked to long when I was bending today.

8. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

That aint maple but it sure is pretty :)

9. closinggaps

closinggaps TDPRI Member

Thanks! And Yeah...pick guard and binding were supposed to be this birdseye till I found the cherry. Considering what I had I think its better off. It will have a flamed maple neck and I was thinking about doing a cherry fretboard too.

10. closinggaps

closinggaps TDPRI Member

Back on track after a commercial woodworking internship I had to do this summer. This week has been all about the neck. Got the fretboard slotted, inlay, binding and headplate veneers cut. I ended up thicknessing all my veneers and stuff using my Safe-T-Planer because the widebelt wasnt working right and I didn't feel like waiting around for it.
    [​IMG]
    After realizing some limitations brought on by my truss rod choice I decided to make this tele have an angled headstock. So I cut the scarf joint and glued it up today.
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully tomorrow morning I'll veneer the front of the head stock and then be able to slot for the truss rod in the evening. Then hopefully I'll shape the fretboard inlay it and then glue all that up. I am looking forward to this thing being done.
    [​IMG]

11. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

Looking great!

12. closinggaps

closinggaps TDPRI Member

College makes for slow guitar building. Inlaid the fretboard and bound it.
    [​IMG]

Detail. Love the grain in the cherry.
    [​IMG]

Had to do some mock up for motivation and hope preservation.
    [​IMG]

13. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Love the maple pickguard and the round-over detail on the pickup ring! Beautiful woods put to good use!

14. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Lovely stuff

15. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Beautiful! How is the weight?

16. closinggaps

closinggaps TDPRI Member

Thanks guys, and contrary to the what the posts said earlier everything on this is cherry or walnut! Things kind of changed directions a while back. As far as the weight goes I haven't even checked yet. The body is pretty light it seems, I'll try and see what it weighs tomorrow if I can.

17. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i love walnut for a guitar choice. its so pretty, iv been using it since i was a 14 year old boy in wood shop. i have a table in my shop with enough walnut to do two guitars probably with black walnut and white oak from a table i made in high school in 91. the stuff is so old. the table held up all these years till i moved to the desert and it got beat up, so i took it apart and put it on the shelf for another day.
    chris.

18. closinggaps

closinggaps TDPRI Member

About ten years ago a neighbor of mine had a bunch of walnut milled off of his property and its been sitting in his barn air drying for the last ten years, and every once in a while I buy a bit off of him. Its hands down some of the best looking walnut I've ever seen. Makes for good looking instruments I think.

19. closinggaps

closinggaps TDPRI Member

Glued on fretboard a bit ago and cut the neck relatively close to the fretboard. Not as close as I would have liked but there were extenuated circumstances. Then route to the board and headstock template.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then my trim router proceeded to break. Luckily I was at school so I could borrow a different one to finish it off.
    [​IMG]
    9.5" Radius on the fretboard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I'm roughing it in and wishing i would have planed the excess off to make my life easier. oh well. Should finish carving this weekend then put in side dots. Closing in.

20. closinggaps

closinggaps TDPRI Member

Roughed in the neck yesterday and finished it up today.
    [​IMG]
    It was a little rough dealing with figure and having to remove so much material. But I finally got there today. I decided to not use a back veneer on the headstock, because I'm lazy...or because I like being able to see the figure on the back. So close. Need to grain fill and some finish prep and then hopefully I'll be in the booth next week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and tuner holes and the truss rod cover I suppose.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.