Walnut body pickup choice for newbie - let battle commence

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by nickmew, Jun 27, 2014.

1. nickmew

nickmew TDPRI Member

Throwing it out may be a little of an exaggeration, but getting rid of for next to nothing. Only trouble is my friend also has the same idea, so its more likely I'd get a neck blank from him. I still have doubts of my ability though. I can't even fit even baseboards. :cry:

2. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

With regard to the original question, I can't believe no-one's stated the obvious; for your first guitar, go straight Tele. Then, take the lessons that you've learned and make another one, this time with humbuckers. The third one will be P90s or Filter'Trons... :D The clue is in your sig - "The number of toys I need is n+1"
    As for neck making, find a 1" board or split a 4x2 and use those to practice on. Cheap enough that the mistakes won't hurt too much and you'll have a good idea of what works when you get on to the rosewood.
    Good luck!

3. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

I had a walnut Custom back in the eighties. It was fugly and had chips out of it but the tone was unsurpassed. It had an original wide range humbucker in the neck and a screwed into the body PAF in the bridge.

If I were trying to replicate that guitar I'd use Telenator and Wilde (L90) to do it.

4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Baseboards are much harder than necks. :p They're fiddly, you're trying to fit nice square miters to sloppy, unplumb and unsquare corners that houses have, and even after you do a bang-up job, what do you have--frreaking baseboards. (Yawn):rolleyes:.

Now a guitar neck, that's exciting. See if you can get two rosewood neck blanks from your friend (or as many as he's willing to part with), and as suggested above, then go buy some cheap construction timber and make your mistakes on that. Or, if you can afford it, buy a nice Warmouth neck, put it on this guitar, and use it for a pattern on your future builds. (I think I can tell when I'm talking to an incipient [or maybe even already hooked] fellow building junkie). That rosewood opportunity is just too good to pass up, believe me!

EDIT: BTW, I just visited your photo post of the body with Tru Oil. That is going to be absolutely lovely. It already is, IMO. I hope you'll consider not using a pickguard (oh, sorry--scratchplate!) so as much of that gorgeous grain will show as possible!

5. nickmew

nickmew TDPRI Member

Definitely no pickguard! I'd be doing it with a cheap bit of lumber if I wanted to hide the grain :D
    Am negotiating on the rosewood and browsing the Warmoths (there's a nice one in stock that has a Canary neck with Macassar Ebony fretboard), however that will have to wait until after payday as I've just pulled the trigger on a set of Lollar Special T pickups. Randomly a guy was playing at my daughter's school fete today who had an awesome tone - which was mostly down to the Lollars in a bog standard Squire Tele. Had to get me some of that:lol:

6. nickmew

nickmew TDPRI Member

Also just ordered a Callaham bridge. This is rapidly becoming anything but cheap :rolleyes:

7. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

Here's the thing with walnut...It doesn't take well to random pickup decisions.
    Walnut is a strange wood to build with. It has it's own thing going on with fat, growly mids along with no "end stop" to bass or treble. If your pickup puts it out, the walnut will transmit it for better or worse.
    The walnut teles I've made responded very well to Fender Original Vintage pickups. Some of the twangier versions were so over the top harsh, you couldn't stand it.

Walnut is a weird wood to build with. It's awesome but you have to go with it. Fighting what it wants to do is a recipe for an awful guitar.
    The upside is once you find what works, it's manna from heaven. And it sustains freaking forever.
    Good luck.

8. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

The guitar in my avatar is a walnut body thinking and I used Fender Original Vintage pickups in that. I don't know if it would make much difference in a solidbody, but I certainly love them in my thinline.

9. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful wood. Ive never been able to bond with a walnut guitar. Dont know why, i love the look. I dont know if different wood makes you need a different pup. I dont believe in the wood thing much. Good luck with it and i hope to find something in walnut myself sometime.

10. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Do you have pictures of the rosewood table?

And, you know, their address? Leamington Spa isn't far from me...

I want to make something out of walnut at some point, can get hold of it for very reasonable costs locally, so I'll be interested in your results. Does anyone suggest a walnut neck is equally as picky (see what I did there?) about what pickups it likes?

11. jstream

jstream Tele-Holic

Late to the party, but Warmoth does make pretty good necks. At 24 years old, mine's doing just fine. Still feels and plays like butter. Had the frets re-crowned once, but that's the only work it's ever needed.

12. nickmew

nickmew TDPRI Member

If the table does become guitar fodder I'll let you know :D
    I'll probably put up a build thread as I go on, the whole walnut thing is a bit of a punt as I wasn't really looking to do this until I got a chance of a pre-made tele body for a silly next-to-nothing price - and I do love the look of walnut

13. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My Labrocaster build used a walnut neck. Ebony fretboard. Poplar body with maple cap. I used Rob (Barncaster's) stacked P-90's in it, and it sounded awesome. I would again pick* a walnut neck without hesitation.

*see what I did there, too?:D

14. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

All my necks - without exceptions - are made of walnut.

Yes it is a strange neck wood and sometimes tricky, I can confirm that. Yet it has something that maple and co. do not have. A certain mellowish sound that changes with the pickup selection or switch position for that matter. You can go from sleepy mellow to throatcutting hard on a walnut neck with appropriate pickup selection.

And yes, it does have twang!

15. soonerdude

soonerdude Tele-Meister

I'm in the same boat when it comes to building a neck. My biggest concern is the cost to do the fret work properly. Those tools just aren't cheap.

As for walnut, it is my favorite to work with. Definitely finicky, but oh so pretty. I try to never put a scratchplate on my builds as I want the grain to show, not some piece of plastic. I did a 1-piece walnut tele with Tonerider Alnico IV pups (yes humbuckers) and it turned out fine. Great sound. Versatile tone from chicken pickin to blues to metal. Enjoy your project.

16. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

I built this one with walnut neck and body and put in these Kinman pups:

http://www.kinman.com/guitar-pickups/telecaster/#Broadcaster

It covers all the ground you have talked about. I have gigged it and the guy I built it for keeps it in his studio as the go to recording axe. To me the best of all worlds with these pups. IMHO

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.