Wall of empty cabs, mic'd combo?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JimmyJam, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Walker

Walker Tele-Afflicted

I think on the last tour Geddy had rotisserie chickens on stage. After the gig, that would be their dinner.

2. Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly Former Member

Even on the last tour, there were no amps on stage. Quite a novel approach, I must say.

3. randysmojo

randysmojo Tele-Afflicted

Brad Paisley's is a wall of fake amps used as video screens. At least he isn't trying to get people to think he actually runs that many like KISS is doing. USually the few amps right behind the center mic are for the stage only for the most part, and the actual FOH is from a couple of amps mic'd backstage, or a mix of backstage rigs, and the ones on stage. Brad is usually using three or four amps only.

I read that Steve Morse, when endorsing the Peavey 5150 amps, had three fake full stacks of Peaveys on stage and one working Marshall plexi head behind them ran into a single 4x12 with a mic.

4. Biz Prof

Biz Prof Tele-Meister

And of course, there's Neal Schon, who, like Joe Perry runs several different amps...some concurrently, others exclusive to specific songs.

I also seem to recall seeing Eric Johnson on Austin City Limits with a backline of three, maybe four half stacks, most with Marshall heads, but at least one with two tall-box Fender heads. I think all cabs were mic'd.

Here's a later pic (2005) that shows the same Fender heads, along with a Marshall combo (Bluesbreaker?) and what appears to be a JTM45 head to the side. Everything is mic'd.

Attached Files:

5. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Just had to post some pics of the dead's wall of sound. Not marshall stacks but still.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. randysmojo

randysmojo Tele-Afflicted

I also seem to recall seeing Eric Johnson on Austin City Limits with a backline of three, maybe four half stacks, most with Marshall heads, but at least one with two tall-box Fender heads. I think all cabs were mic'd.

The way Eric usually runs his rig, he would use one or both Fender heads ran into the 4-12 cabinet under them for clean tones, (one to two of the speakers, the other to the other two speakers). The Marshall Bluesbreaker combo is used for dirty rhythm parts, and the 50 watt plexi is used for lead tones. His earlier set up used another 50 watt plexi for the dirty rhythm parts, and two deluxe reverbs for clean tones. His very early rig he used 100watt Marshalls and two Twin Reverbs for clean tones, but he figured out how outragiously loud that rig was, and cut it back. The two Fender heads might even be Bandmaster Reverb heads. He uses two different A/B switches to go between the three different amp setups.

7. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

Those are all PA cabs. I think Altec supplied them. Back before the split crossover horn,mid,sub configuration was designed. like I said before. our modren sound reinforcment sets have gone through magor leaps in technology in a very short time it seem. In the 70's all you had was a Shure Vocal Master or some big old Peavey Columns for your singer.

8. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Afflicted

Marshall's version of a wall of Marshalls... can you spot the tweed Champ...??

Best,
    Tom

P.S. JK...

Attached Files:

9. BIGGEARHOUND

BIGGEARHOUND NEW MEMBER!

10. BIGGEARHOUND

BIGGEARHOUND NEW MEMBER!

Uses 2 heads/4 cabs - friend of mine did the sound for him a few months ago!

upload_2019-10-18_11-43-10.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.