Wall of empty cabs, mic'd combo?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JimmyJam, Aug 2, 2009.

1. johnporter

johnporter Tele-Meister

He uses Five(5) Conn Strobe tuners.
    See who can figure out "why" the fastest.

2. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

ummm, 2 e strings? :D

Franc Robert

3. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

And there we have proof that prolonged exposure to high SPL's affect one's ability to think clearly and rationally.

4. Woody Relic

Woody Relic TDPRI Member

Yes, Franc Robert--two E strings, of course.

When I saw the Strobotuners, a vision of my old reliable Boss TU-6, with the switch that goes to six positions (low E, A, D, G, B, and high E) popped into my mind, and I wondered how Neil tuned that last "E"!

The Strobotuners probably detect a low "E" and all higher multiples thereof.

5. johnporter

johnporter Tele-Meister

Silly I know,but have seen some seasoned pros & pretty sharp fellows take a while to get it.

6. Woody Relic

Woody Relic TDPRI Member

If one's only experience with electronic tuners were with one (like the Boss TU-6) that has a separate setting for each string (frequency), he could be darn smart and still not know of strobe tuners that respond to any "E" in any octave.

But hey, if a guy or gal is smart enough to play a Tele, well, he/she is pretty darn smart in my book!

7. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

So is Brad doing this as well?
    Check out the backline in this vid.

8. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

My tuner requires a single setting. I plug in, I pluck a string. The tuner just knows. It's like it's magic or something.
    What the heck is a strobotuner?

9. telepathetic

telepathetic Tele-Afflicted

Back in the ancient times (just after we went from steam powered amps to tubes....) a guitar tuner was a little smaller than a cinder block and WAY too costly for the casual player.
    It had a strobe light in it and a spinning disc with various black rectangles on it. The flashing strobe would cause certain rectangles to appear motionless, indicating the frequency of different notes.
    [​IMG]

10. ACK75

ACK75 Tele-Meister

More specifically on the KISS thing:

It's been rumored for years that Ace Frehley on the Love Gun tour in '77 was actually plugged into a Fender Champ combo with a Big Muff for his solos instead of the Marshall's onstage.

And in KISS' early club years, they used empty cabs so they could appear to have lot's of equipment..part of the whole "larger than life" thing they were after.

11. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My band in the 90's played a club gig with a band who did that. The guitar player had at least 4 Marshall cabinets on stage (all empty cabinets, as I saw them up close and saw how ridiculously light they were to carry.) I think that only one of them actually had speakers in it and was being used.

12. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

13. johnnytronics

johnnytronics Tele-Holic

Brad Paisley does it with Dr.Z cabs.

14. SatelliteOrders

SatelliteOrders Friend of Leo's

At the end of the video I saw, they grabbed the clothes out of the drier and threw them into the crowd.

And I recall reading that Yngwie Malmsteen keeps towels in his empty cabs.

15. mr natural

mr natural Friend of Leo's

When I saw Rush, Geddy had a refrigerator next to the dryers and he grabbed a cold beverage out of it several times during the show.
    -Mr. N.

16. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

I believe ACDC uses one stack each, with one as a backup. The rest are empty fakes for storage (cables, etc).

Angus mentioned in an interview he often uses a JTM45 combo mic'ed under the stage/drum riser for his solos.

17. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

In 1979 on the Tom Tomorrow show where he interviewed Kiss (the famous one where Ace is drunk and steals the show), Paul describes how they had empty cabs and instructed the light guys not to shine the lights on them because it'd be obvious they were empty.
    Kiss lost a lot of money on their early tours. They had more equipment and a bigger crew than the headlining acts. They had a rising drum kit and a demon breathing fire, all while in a bar...sometimes with a low ceiling. All while they weren't selling albums...but people left the show talking about the opening band. It worked out for them in the end.

At least they admitted they did the fake cab thing...of course they didn't admit they were still doing it.

When I saw Aerosmith a couple years ago Joe Perry didn't have a wall of cabs but he had a stack of a lot of different amps. There were cabs, heads, combos, you name it. It gave the impression he was using different ones for different songs...as he switched guitars all night too. It was also one of the quietest rock concerts I ever attending and I was near the stage. At one point the bass player yelled at someone backstage to turn up a monitor, and I could hear him.

When I saw Tom Petty there were three Vox stacks so it didn't appear he was being an amp glutton. One for him, one for Mike Campbell and one for the guy who played keyboards and guitar on an occasional song.

18. prawnik

prawnik Tele-Holic

I had read AC\DC also used the "walls of dummy amps\actual sound from a miked up 45 watt Marshall" trick.

19. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

20. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

-------

theres a funny moment on Neil's Rust Never Sleeps tour DVD. He's having a LOT of trouble keeping Old Black in tune and at one point, is having a bit of a temper with one of his road-eyes about the Strobos... and he says, "You cant just turn em on and leave em out here"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.