Walking every day...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Before I retired, I used to take a half-hour walk at lunchtimes, to clear my head, breathe the fresh air and take in the sea views, while getting my body working harder. It broke up the day, was a great stress reliever and gave a pleasant sense of well-being.

Nowadays, I like to do that walk, still- but also enjoy the local forests and hills. Two or three times a week seems about right. I'm lucky, that I can get up into the woods behind my house easily, during current restrictions- and usually see no-one, if I'm up there for an hour or two.

At this time of the year, I would normally be looking forward to my first mountain walk of the spring, once the kids were back in school and my favourite spots became as empty as a politician's promise.

It must be murder, for active folks, who live in high density housing developments- but at least the road traffic is way down, so the city streets and parks have cleaner air.

Toto'sDad, Jakedog, gwjensen and 2 others like this.
  2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Walking twice a day with my wife.

Lord, that woman loves to talk.

It used to be just me and the dog and Nature.

3. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I normally go to the gym everyday, but am now using my little home gym. I walk at least a mile a day, but usually three. My neighbor remarked yesterday that I'd not been on my bike, and that is true---unfortunately, folks around here tend to let their dogs out unsupervised when they are at home...maybe soon,

Jakedog likes this.
  4. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Meister

Been putting in 8 miles, just about every day since this has all kicked off. My wife is an occupational therapist, so I’m full time daddy day care atm. The walks are keeping us sane. Couple of snaps from our travels..

B5AA8ED1-63C0-47E5-BB75-5D33B8402EE3.jpeg
    1B880FEF-97F9-4345-B911-B72CD2EB254D.jpeg
    553F2F96-E5CE-4D03-9A74-9BE273760CB1.jpeg

5. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

There is a gravel road down below the house, the dog expects a daily walk, so that's where I head. About 1.5 mi with a break for Mabel to play in the river. IMG_20170711_072329129.jpg

6. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Highly recommended. Dog needs four walks a day; we live in the middle of large city. Working from home, but I still try to get at least a short walk, just myself.

Jakedog and gwjensen like this.
  7. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

We got out of the habit and I would like to do it again. Jackie really isn’t able to do much walking so it’d be a solo act for me

Jakedog likes this.
  8. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

214558B1-030B-4EEC-87CB-C69BBEBBBED3.jpeg
    Here are some of the rocks (and my wife) on one of the trails we’ve been using.

Mrs. 79 and I try to get out every day. We miss some (mostly because of weather), but we’ve been pretty faithful. Distance depends on the time we have. We try to get four or five miles, but it’s often only a couple.

We have a lot of old or closed logging roads around here - nice treks through the woods - generally a pretty good elevation change. If we don’t get out until later, we avoid the woods. On those days, we’ve gone to a nearby college campus to walk. There’s usually nobody around (school is shut down for the semester), and it’s well lit.

dougstrum, Jakedog, ieatlions and 2 others like this.
  9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Love walking for leisure or necessity... we have legs and feet for a good reason..

Jakedog and tintag27 like this.
  10. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Rocket and I have been circling the block a couple times a day (decent days) since we moved here in February. We just stepped it up to a larger, 3 mile loop. 2 yrs ago, I was doing a 10mi Sat/Sun walk down the nature trail by our house. Nothing like that nearby here...I need to explore the area more.

Meeting many neighbors these days, circling the subdivision. The women tend to walk in groups of three, guys by themselves. One guy I've seen almost every day, shirtless, shorts lower than they oughta be, yakking on some sort of earpiece...oblivious to the world. The lady across the street calls him "the butt-crack guy".

11. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Meister

Since the house is now "work" it helps to get away. We're finding that a walk after work is a good way to decompress and shift gears.

We've only lived in our neighborhood 1.5 years, so this has been a good way to meet more neighbors. People are out who we haven't seen since we moved in.

And yes, there is an old shirtless guy in shorts.

Jakedog likes this.
  12. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

I've always been a walker,it's really the only exercise I enjoy. It clears my head,sets me up for the day and stops me being a fat arse.

I do 5 miles or so every day I can and in all weather. There are somedays life dictates otherwise,but if all is good I get a walk in.

According to the watch I wear when walking,I've done 401 miles so far this year,with an average distance of 4.83 miles.

I'm fortunate enough to live where I can easily avoid contact with others. I do sympathise with those who live in more crowded or built up areas.

This is part of my daily dander.

[​IMG]

dougstrum, Jakedog and gwjensen like this.
  13. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Me too.

I also have a treadmill, which is good to have in WV climate. I run, too. But not as intensely as I used to.

That said, research suggest the positive mood effects of exercise outside are higher outside in nature than inside. Even with same exertion/miles, etc... Our parks are all closed down, so we are walking and running on our little road.

Jakedog likes this.
  14. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

NOTE: If you are running, give more than 6 feet as you pass by. Walkers give plenty of room to runners. Runners are breathing very heavily as they pass by.

Jakedog likes this.
  15. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Restrictions are different from place to place. Some countries are in total lockdown i.e. not allowed out except for food,others like myself are permitted essential journeys only and just once a day for exercise.

Police are now setting up road checks and fining people in the UK for nonessential trips. Because so many are refusing to stay indoors,there is now the threat that complete lockdown is coming for us all. For us walkers,that won't be fun.

Jakedog, gwjensen and tintag27 like this.
  16. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

I walk 3-5mi everyday through the icy months here. When the paths are clear enough I ride about 15mi a day. Also 3 days a week I do about 40min of strength training. Keeps me in somewhat decent shape :)

17. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I walk 8 - 10 miles every day that I'm not working, so weekends and every other Friday. I wish I had time to walk more, but better than nothing...

Jakedog likes this.
  18. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    My wife’s gym shut down, and my pool is shut down (been shut down since the Nashville tornados, when they turned it into a Red Cross shelter).

So we started walking, and are up to about 5 miles a day now. But even the relative low impact of walking is starting to take its toll on me. I got diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis about a year ago, and have opted against any medication thus far. I’m only 47, and the risks that go with the available meds... I’m not ready to accept, the biggest one being a suppressed immune system. Liver disease being another one.

The walking is good. But after about a mile, my toes, feet, hips, and back start to hurt. By the time we’re finished, I’m in significant pain. And I’m not out of shape, and I don’t have a sloppy diet.

19. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Another walker here. Try to do at least 2-3 miles a day. My neighborhood is fairly hilly and has some steep inclines so it's not a bad workout. I also have a nice creek behind my house with a walking path next to it which is great nature therapy. Not sure if I'm losing weight but just getting out and about is certainly helpful.

20. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Sorry to hear about the arthritis, but I admire your fortitude...

Jakedog and TheGoodTexan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.