Walking every day...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Doing it outdoors, and maintaining distancing at all times. If I see somebody headed toward me on the sidewalk, I cross the street. But...

I’ve found walking is a great way to stave off cabin fever and keep from going stir crazy. But I have to do it every day, rain or shine, and do it for real. Not just little jaunts around the block.

When I first started staying home and not being able to work, I was doing around 2 miles a day. At the end of the first week I went up to 3-5. My lowest day so far this week (Mon, Tue, and Weds) was Monday. It was seven miles. Yesterday was 8.4 and today was 8.1.

My new goal is 50 miles per week, and I’d love to get it up to 10 miles per day.

Anybody else walking a lot? Anybody else want to? I wouldn’t mind a “walking club” thread here. I figure everybody can set their own goals for how often they go and how far. It’s definitely not a competition.

It’s doing wonders for me. I’ll come out of this thing in a lot better shape than I went in.

2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very cool. Congrats.

I’m running 3 miles every-other day and biking 10 miles each day in between.

gwjensen, telestratosonic and Jakedog like this.
  3. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Meister

Yep - 1 or 2 times a day. Still working 8 hours, so lunch and after 5pm.

Want to stick with it.

4. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

My wife and I have been going for a walk together every evening for about ten years. Nothing serious. Just a mile or two depending on the weather. But its a great way to unwind after work, to have conversations without distractions, get some fresh air, and it helps to keep a couple pounds off too.

I'd say it a routine that contributes to the really nice marriage we have.

Pete'67, brbadg, gwjensen and 5 others like this.
  5. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's

Good for you!

I'm doing nothing and getting depressed. Didn't leave the house today or yesterday. I need all the encouragement I can get.

brbadg, tubegeek and Jakedog like this.
  6. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Walking is great and I do it every day, have for years. I don’t do it for exercise but just to get outdoors. I need to be outside and I’ve found that getting out can really lift my mood.

There’s a city park less than a mile from me with a large pond and woods with trails on one side and a big hill on the other side of the pond. I take my dog out there every morning after my first cup of coffee & before breakfast. Not sure which of us looks forward to it more but my dog definitely is more excited about the ‘event’. It’s great you’re getting out to walk, JD.

gwjensen, telestratosonic and Jakedog like this.
  7. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

My wife and I have been walking our pup, not daily though, more like every other. Usually it's four miles give or take. We did it before all this hit too and there has been a change, the pup gets a lot more comments than he used to. I hope it doesn't go to his head...

telestratosonic and Jakedog like this.
  8. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have been mostly, at least once a day. Yesterday it was 71F outside, the warmest it had been all year, but I was in back to back remote meetings from dawn till dusk- first work-related, then school-related.

It was also the first good day to open all the windows up and solder a bunch of stuff, but none of that happened either.

9. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oh, and also... Everyone else must be going stir crazy also, because whenever I walk I see dozens of people over the course of the hour. I find myself going down the center of the street pretty often to avoid a person on either side on the sidewalk.

10. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

I try to get out every day. Mostly because my dog turns into a psycho if she doesn't get enough exercise. I maybe do a mile or two a day. My pup probably gets about four or five. Whoever invented the Chuck-it is a genius! IMG_20200309_170634.jpg

Matt G, DLReed, Stubee and 7 others like this.
  11. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

That is a stone cold fact. My dad was ahead of his time - he used to use a lacrosse stick before the Chuck-it came along.

Matt G, Jlwctn, Jakedog and 2 others like this.
  12. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I'm still working for now (thankfully- apparently I became essential sometime between my high school shop teacher calling me a loser and now) but I make sure to take my dogs around the neighborhood every couple of days. Especially now that its warming up and the walks are a pleasure instead of a chore.

The dogs love it, I love it, and it makes us all feel good.

getbent, Jakedog and telestratosonic like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I've reported many times here, that my wife and I walk every day. Not a long walk, only about a mile and a quarter, but we are faithful. Only miss on a very few occasions. Alex likes going for a walk, all the dogs we've ever had enjoyed taking a walk, so it's been our habit for years.

getbent, Jakedog, stnmtthw and 2 others like this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When I first retired, and hadn't adapted to not going to work yet, I took to walking, just like Jake I kept upping the mileage. One day I walked thirteen miles! My average for about a year was about five miles a day. Occasionally I'd walk six, seven, even eight miles, but that thirteen mile day was my best effort. I eventually tired of doing it like one will after a while, and dropped back to just doing the evening walk with momma as I'd always done. One day, I stopped and bought a little Debbie pie and ate it, I looked at the calories written on the wrapper, and realized I'd have to walk about three or four miles just to walk off the calories from the piece of pie! I didn't do that again. When I was walking that much though, I managed to wear out a pair of walking shoes every eight or nine weeks though.

15. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I see more people walking around than I used to say 5 yrs ago,,,

a couple are neighbours walking their dogs just short distances.. often I can chat to them from my front veranda....
    Though, I do see more regular walkers from further away walking the main road and ducking up our short dead end road and back to add some distance without having to risk walking the main road.....

one guy was doing his regular afternoon walk in the rain yesterday in a jacket,, head down doing the yards.... good on him... I was nearly going to go out on the veranda to cheer him on... :D

16. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I'm doing a 3 mile loop in my neighborhood. I've been tweaking the route little by little to hit as many hills as possible. I found an app for my phone that maps your route and gives you statistics for how far, how fast and elevation gained. It is good motivation and I appreciate the exercise.

Before I lived in the city I used to ride a bicycle 30 to 40 miles a day. I really miss that built in exercise from commuting by bike, so my daily walks are helping me get back on track with exercise that fits my current lifestyle.

17. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I didn't get my 30 minute walk in yesterday or today. Temps are still below freezing but I can live with that. It's been really windy out of the NW. A leg of my walk is in a northwesterly direction and that wind really bites. I decided against wearing a balaclava or having my back to the wind. I'll be out tomorrow if it's not blowin' a gale o' wind.

I'm seventy. I find that walk really gets the kinks out and hopefully burns a few calories at the same time.

Jakedog and black_doug like this.
  18. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

My boss started walking one hour after work everyday a little over a year ago. The wife joins him on the weekends and they often get in the car and walk for an hour around a lake , in the woods , at the beach or whatever.
    Goodbye to high Blood Pressure , and he has lost more than 30 Kilos.
    The wife and I have really taken to riding bicycles , but really , walking is an exercise form many people overlook.
    Anyone can go for walk , you dont have to invest money to start , go to a gym etc , its possible to start right away.
    Not hard on the body at all , and about as good a workout as running.
    On top of that many people get their heads in better shape too !

19. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Huge fan of hiking here... This was me a few weeks ago at Big Bend National Park, a few days before they shut it down.

[​IMG]

I did 18 miles that day with some good elevation.

I try to hike 5 or 6 days a week if possible. Last year I did 31 miles in one day on the Appalachian trail.

Going for daily hikes is an incredible way to stay in shape, relieve stress, lose a little weight. I try to recommend it to everyone.

Great thread JD.. good luck on your daily hikes.

20. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Walking is a lost art ... jeez ... what did people do before the automobile was invented... and you were too poor to afford a horse ???

;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.