1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Walking Dead Season 5

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jondanger, Oct 12, 2014.

1. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

About 1/2 a second

2. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

*aside* who is the lucky(for them)/unfortunate(for us) family member who is selling the Ramones back catalog to everyone who wants their commercial to "rock in an anti authoritarian manner"? It's bummin me out.

3. rider7

rider7 Tele-Meister

4. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

7 months people....dang! More blood and guts that's for sure.

5. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Liked, a lot. Good episode to end the season with. Tied up the loose ends for me without posing too many new questions, just enough.

We've got a lot to learn about the wolves, another sick bunch. I'm sure that will play out a bunch next season. I do see the group staying here....for awhile.

Oh, and somebody better deal with the preacher, he's sick. Major failure on his part.

6. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

Fail on his part, but allowed the people to see how Rick is an asset.

7. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

I get the impression that Rick was getting kicked out until he turned up late to the meeting.

8. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

something will happen, you don't need to make it happen.

great advice and great foreshadowing...

9. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, great line....and at this moment the complacency of the compound has finally been brought into the "real" world. Lots of new scenarios to look forward to.

10. creading

creading Tele-Holic

Melissa McBride's Carol was great again last night. Her stopping by to have a 'word' with Pete was as good as her 'chat' with his son a couple weeks ago. Her character is really one of the best.

11. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

I liked they way they wrapped things up neatly. In the teasers it made it look like it wouldn't end like that. One bad guy in the group down and one more that will answer next season. I hope Morgan sticks around but that looked questionable in Talking Dead.

The only thing I didn't like was way too many commercials. Whoa.

12. Tesla_HV

Tesla_HV Tele-Afflicted

DVR was my friend in this regard.

13. Thorby Bislam

Thorby Bislam Tele-Afflicted

But did Rick kill Pete?

We saw Deanna tell Rick to "Do it!" We saw Rick shoot but the camera was placed on the ground looking up at him as he fired his gun. It could be that Deanna was asking Rick to shoot her dead husband through the head to stop him coming back as a walker. It's a possibility that remains open until the next series.

Would AMC mess with our minds like that? This is the same AMC that warned us that a beloved character would die in the finale only for all the gang to make it through ok. And although Reg seemed like a nice guy, a beloved character he was not.

14. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Pete was in the RIP section of Talking Dead, but I also thought it was ambiguous who was killed. I thought it was Reg at first myself, but thinking back on it, the anger that Deanna showed when she said it would kinda suggest that it was Pete.

But I don't disagree with what you said. I don't think it's crazy to think that Pete is still alive.

15. getbent

was it chilling when Deanna told Rick to kill the man who sliced her husband's throat open (presumably killing him?)

16. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Nicholas and the Gabriel would have been so dead. I can't believe they didn't get it, but I'm sure it show compassion or have some other purpose.

I wonder if Glen was bitten ... don't think so ... hope not.

I've heard a few people think it may have been Reg and not Pete, that Rick shot ... I never even thought of that and just assumed it had to be Pete ... but the show throws curve balls.

Great season finale ... enjoyed every minute.

17. Thorby Bislam

Thorby Bislam Tele-Afflicted

Another thing; Gabriel's walk on the wild side.

When he put on that white shirt and went out for a walk in the woods I at first thought the symbolism was obvious. White equals purity and sacrifice. He was going out to die. And when he approached the walker saying, "I'm ready, take me," I thought that was it. But at the last second he fought back and put down the walker and then finished off it's human victim. So I thought, crisis of faith over. Maybe he's coming round at last.

But then he turned up at the gate with not a mark of blood spatter upon him. Even as I was watching, that raised a gasp of disbelief. Especially as it's a bugbear of mine about TWD, ie; there's always too much blood when walkers get their heads smashed in. I mean, come on, they're basically mobile corpses. when any creature dies it's blood stops flowing and pools in the lowest part of the body. In an upright walker that would be the legs; the head should be empty. Yet each walker 'death' (for want of a better word) is accompanied by a liberal shower of stage blood. but there was not one stain on his still pristine white shirt.

This raises the question, did the encounter on the road actually happen or did it all take place within Gabriel's mind?

This would actually make more sense of his later actions. It would explain his not shutting the gate properly, with his mind in turmoil, he'd be incapable of thinking straight let alone doing mechanical tasks. And when he encountered Sasha, after a brief fight he was begging her to shoot him. "They all died because of me," and so on. He's clearly still ravaged with guilt over locking his parishioners out. And those words scratched on the wall of the church, "You'll burn over this." They've come true. He is being tormented by it.

conclusion: Gabriel is a more complex character than he first appears.

18. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

The thing that's getting me is this...Pete had Michone's sword. He had to get it from the house Michone and Rick share... That's where Carl and the kid were last seen......... Don't like that......

19. getbent

Gabriel is a coward. He would want to be brave and courageous, it isn't in him. The hillbilly fake scientist who was a pacifist found out that he is courageous in the previous episode... and, as an audience, it is what we desire most.. We desire a hero who does not want to be a hero but, thrust into an impossible situation, he rises to heroism.

In Gabriel's case, he lied to Deanna, he bore false witness, he betrayed his own flock, he has, time and again, been weak in a moment that required strength. He is antithetical to his calling. He is not meek, he is weak.

He left the gate open because instead of taking a leadership role and making something happen (even if that involves taking your own life) he chose to 'let things happen.' Leaving the gate open, created an opportunity that he could be killed. The fact that others would die as well... he is okay with that.

He begs to be killed because he is too cowardly to do it himself.

IIRC, Gabriel is told (in the Bible) to create the fight between and among all the evil people... what I'm still unclear about is what happened exactly to his flock... maybe it is discussed in greater detail in the books...

His white tshirt adventure was the great juxtaposition of his desire to be clean (and he remains so) but maybe the blood he needs to be washed in and cannot seem to be anointed with... is paradoxically the blood of the walkers and symbolic of the blood he seeks to be part of....

It is interesting symbolism.

20. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I have to watch again, now. I thought he was wielding a machete, but I could certainly be wrong.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.