1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Walking Dead Season 5

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jondanger, Oct 12, 2014.

1. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Is it over the top, though? Can't set him free. He can easily recruit people, and retaliate. You'll have another prison showdown. If they lock him up, nothing will change. He'll be consuming resources, and will still pose a risk. I think Rick is getting crazy but I also think he's right for the most part. He gave the wife beater a choice. Rick had multiple opportunities to take him out, already. I know Rick has had it out for this guy since he first saw him. He went for his gun on first sight, almost like a reflex. I wasn't sure if it was because Rick is going crazy, and wants the woman, or maybe Rick could see that he wasn't a good person from the second he set his eyes on him, and it was his instinct that caused him to do it. Rick is extremely sharp, almost on a superhuman level, at times.

2. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Very good points. Give him a bottle and turn him loose. He'd be walker chow in a day

3. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

not over the top at all. He deserves everything he gets. Lock him up or exile him it's not going to do anything. Beat the snot out of him and he'll learn to fear the consequences of abusing his wife.

4. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Oh, for sure he deserves everything he gets. What I meant is that Ricks being way too emotional about it. He's the town sheriff, he should act like it. Not like a PTSD'd guy with a crush. There ought to be a little more bureaucracy about about it. Have the lady in charge write up a warrant. And have the townspeople (jury) decide what to do. The punishment should absolutely be more harsh than the old days. Maybe stone him in the town square, I don't know. Whatever it is, Rick needs to chill out a little.

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I don't see that as more civil.

6. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Knowing some folk who battled with the bottle a pretty harsh but fair punishment for the abuser who is a drunk would have been to force him to detox. Worth it and justified. Mischone's sucker punch wasn't cool. Alexandria is gonna find out quick what the walkers/exiles can do. Perhaps Morgan will pop back up and help as a morale compass for Rick.

7. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Dang deckard, and Get Bent. I would have to agree with both of you. The guy needs help. THAT would be the civil thing to do! He very well could be a decent guy as long as he's not drunk.

8. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

But, is the civil thing to do as entertaining as the non civil thing to do? Probably not.

9. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

But we don't know Morgan at this point. I haven't looked at what the book says about Morgan so you might know more, but as far as the story on tv goes, we just don't know.

Mischone had to drop Rick because he's the group's leader and he was talking their position into a hole. He was ranting and Mischone as fellow law officer had o take command of the situation- natural protocol when the #1 guy loses it.

I think your right about what happens if a real threat, like a group of exiles or new band of people comes along, or one of those super herds of walkers makes it to the wall. Oh my god, can you imagine the inner beltway zombies coming to Alexandria, we see all these Walkers wearing lawyer suits and guts coming through! :lol:

10. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Everyone talks about the "civil" thing to do. There is nothing "civil" about the world they live in. The "he's a doctor" excuse Deanne used to turn a blind eye is flawed. He beats his wife to death you exile him no doctor, possibly one that meats a crew of riff raff like Daryl met after Beth was taken and comes back. Bad news. Rick kills him no doctor, no potential exile alliance. One of these seems like a smaller issue.

11. Thorby Bislam

Thorby Bislam Tele-Afflicted

Or build a set of stocks and lock him in it for a few days. The whole town sees him being punished and knows why. a public shaming for a private offence. Tell him, any reccurence of spousal abuse and back in the stocks he goes, for longer this time. A pre-industrial solution for a post-industrial world.

12. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I vote for supervised detox and deny Pete booze from the commissary as part of his probation. Both times we have dealt with an alcoholic on this show it had resulted in catastrophe. Rick should probably suffer a censure as well for acting outside of official channels, although it was pretty clear Deanna wasn't going to do anything.

But I expect we'll get something more dramatic than sensible. Which is fine, it's a show. Entertain me!

13. getbent

fish in a barrel. Of course the world they live in is overrun by zombies. But, your first two sentences aren't a premise, they are a fallacy. What the folks in Alexandria are TRYING TO RECREATE is civility. Order. Rule of Law.

Rick has been charged with restoring order through processes that are civilized and he is advocating (and acting) for a system that is not civil. His argument and actions are the result of being attracted to a woman who is not his who is being abused by a man whom she has chosen as a mate and has children with.

The husband may be incurably ill in the current climate, but his abilities to provide medical services have outweighed (for the matriarch) his violence toward his wife.

That is a difficult moral decision to make for a leader. It is one that will always be questioned regardless of outcome. In Rick's case, he derailed 'a right action' because of his lust for the woman.

This was made clear in the scene in the house when she asks "would you do this for anyone or just me?" His answer of "I don't know" is an answer of NO.

If you are trying to create civility AND you still choose to eliminate people from the group (via exile, bullet to the head, whatever) then it is incumbent upon you to choose a methodology that is the least barbaric.

In this case, Michone had to silence the ranting and temporarily insane Rick in order to save their group (if only temporarily.) Rick will understand and support that decision.

My question would be, why not dispatch the matriarch and declare new leadership? This would not be difficult and would not jeopardize Rick's family. It is likely what I would have chosen.

14. Thorby Bislam

That is probably the most chilling thing I've read on TDPRI.

15. getbent

It is a weakness in the plot, right?

16. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

It is a plot hole. Rick wants to do things his way he was alone with Deanna a few times especially when speaking about Pete by the graves. He culd have easily removed her from power.

17. Thorby Bislam

That was yesterday. Today is today. No worries.

The big philosophical question they have been facing this season is: are they (as individuals) so far down the 'do anything, no matter how horrible, to survive,' that they can't turn back? Ie: Have they lost their humanity?
    I think not. Rick may be further down the track than Michonne but I don't think even he is ready to summarily execute Deanna and Pete just to get his own way.

18. telemaster7082

Maggie in this first episode is how we need to keep seeing maggie.

I also prefer the relationship between Rick and Darryl during this time.

19. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Just checking in. Who do we lose tonight? How long before we find out what the hell is up with Morgan? Where are the Wolves?

20. telemaster7082

Are you guys excited? Im excited.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.