Waiting around to make the purchase of a nice USED amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by T Prior, Aug 6, 2019.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Its happened a couple of times over the last few months, be it the GC Used site or maybe Reverb. I spotted two amps that were very well priced and would fit nicely in my bag of amps.

Early 70'S Fender SF Vibrolux Reverb, no pull switch and it had 2 x 10 Alnico's ! Under a grand.

Dr Z Maz 18 / with reverb / 1x12 combo with the Gold Celestion, under a grand

So I said let me watch them for a few days, maybe the price will drop on one. Not hardly , they were both gone in the next 48 hours ! Probably some TPRI member bought one or both !

There is a moral to this story... I think it's called "lesson learned"

Yeah I know I'm telling you all to buy an amp I may be looking at ! :)

Shuster, OldDude2, Wally and 2 others like this.
  2. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I've done this too.

Sometimes the patience pays off and I find what I want at a really good price.

Sometimes I say, "screw it", and just pay the asking price because it's what I want and I don't want to have keep waiting.

And sometimes I wait and someone else steps up and buys it before I come to my senses... Lol

It's not just you.

Having a grand to drop on a nice amp but then waiting for better deal because you can.... That's a nice problem to have!

:cool:

3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I'm with ya on the "come to my senses thing" ! Deep down that's probably the culprit why I don't pull the trigger right away. Like I need another amp ! Or guitar for that matter.

Having the cash, well that only took 45 years of working non stop to graduate to that position ! My good friend ( bandmate) told me not long ago that all I am doing is moving someone else's inventory to my house to be now included with my inventory. Supposedly they have medicine for this.:(

teletimetx and JayFreddy like this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have also learnt that if you see a nice used amp at a price that is doable then you better grab it while its still there. Thousands are probably drooling over that same amp if you find it online. I think the internet amp trends have also cooled the prices on higher wattage amps these days as Kempers etc are getting popular. I've seen some good deals going on heads and pedals lately as guys are selling off gear to modernise their rigs.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    schmee likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I've done it, and seem to forget what I learned and do it again a year or two later!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Guitar Center rarely drops it’s price on used items unless they have sat for a while. Anything that’s priced to move, will. Next time you might call the store with an offer. Don’t worry, though, another will come along. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but some day soon.

stevemc likes this.
  7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I come from the world of buying and selling antiques, modern design, and fine books. The principal is universal: if you see it, want it, and the price is rational, then buy it.

Over time you get your education by making buying mistakes. Spend the money, make mistakes, get your education that way, and end up with what you want.

8. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

If you see something you want in your price range, then it is better not to wait. If you are speculating on an amp's value to make money, then by all means wait until you get your price.

9. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

If you see something you like at a price you like, jump on it.

10. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

I did this with a "Cruz" Tele that was a non-relic gem. It was slightly higher than an Elite when it disappeared...

11. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

I watch the ads all the time. After a while you get a sense of what things sell for. Same ad posted for months and months? Asking too much. Ad taken down in a couple days? Good price, sold it quick. If something pops up priced way under-market, better grab it fast. If it turns out you don’t want it, you know you can get your money back reselling it.

12. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

GC policy is only discount after the used item has been there 90 days, and it's rare when a good used item lasts that long.

Learned in my thrift store shopping days--if you want it, pick it up right then and buy it. You can walk away and in 5 minutes it'll be gone.

13. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I did that with a Lefty Ron Kirn Tele a few months back!! Still would like to take my butt out behind the garage and kick it,,, several times!o_O

14. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

I just bought a used Fender Pro Junior on Reverb. Asked the store (CME) for their best price and they came back with a 25% discount!! I would been happy with just 10% so now I’m thrilled. It’s my first tube amp.

I paid CME full price for my Daphne Blue American Special Tele last year because I didn’t ask for a discount. Lesson learned.

15. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

I've purchased several guitars/amps from GC, one via their website.
    Contact the local store and speak with a manager. My experience has been that they will accept a reasonable offer off their listed price, say 10-20% or so.
    Give it a try; it has always worked for me.
    Actually, I think I've had lower offers accepted on almost all of my Reverb purchases.
    It seems like a 'discount' is generally factored into prices on Reverb and GC.

Mark

gridlock likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.