1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wait - what ? Knowing when to bail on a bad movie…

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

New Charlie Kaufman movie called “I’m thinking of ending things” on Netflix.

With the cast he had assembled and his track record I definitely was looking forward to checking it out.

Ha !

much to her credit, my wife called BS on it first. :lol: (“OMG ! There’re still in the car ? Now they’re back in the car ?! Why do they keep showing that old janitor in the high school?”)

There are a lot of great moments in it but they are “moments”. And there’s a bunch of crap in between those moments.

The cast is about as good as you could get. The woman that will eventually win the Oscar, (they should just give it to her now), who also plays the nurse on the new Fargo and it seems like she’s in every other movie is fantastic.

But, the cast was really good in the Jim jarmusch zombie movie. And we all know what a turd that was.

and sure, my brain is not exactly 1st rank, in fact I’ve been called “thick” more times than I’d like to remember, so maybe it’s part that.

But, to answer the question posed in the thread title – just trust your gut. If your gut says bail, or even bail and come back and try this a little later, then do it.

Marc Morfei, Jakedog and nojazzhere like this.
  2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Idiocracy the movie.

Someone made me watch it.

The funniest part was folks going to Costco for their law degree

SbS, Deeve and Larry F like this.
  3. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I watched Swiss Army Man all the way through last week, recalling that I saw it several years ago. It was novel, it was amusing, it was off beat, but only for the first half hour. Talk about thick headed.

4. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Can usually tell within the first 10 minutes. Rarely wrong.

electrichead, Toast and teletail like this.
  5. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I remember back in the late 70's, when the Sergeant Peppers movie came out. I had a friend who worked for RSO Records who gave me and my wife (then girlfriend) free tickets. Well, we bailed on that movie after twenty minutes, as soon as we finished our popcorn, it was that bad. I'm sure I've seen worse, but not many.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My father in-law bailed out on Star Wars in 1978. He doesn't remember it, as he had bailed out on countless films since.

7. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We (wife and I) thought about bailing on the Hateful 8 about twenty seven times during the movie. And for some reason, stayed for the whole thing. We’re both Tarantino fans, and have enjoyed all of the other films. That one was a first class clunker. He could easily have cut a full hour out of that movie, possibly 90 minutes, and it would have made zero difference in the story or continuity. What a piece of over-long self indulgent crap. But hey, the cast was out of this world.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

well, even for myself and anyone like me who actually did find it funny when it first came out - it sure as hell isn’t funny now:lol::confused::(

9. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

We must have been typing at the same time... It took me 3 nights to finish that movie because I kept turning it off, but everyone told me I had to finish it because it was so good. Worst movie I've ever watched all the way through. And I am generally a Tarantino fan as well.

He basically ripped off every B-movie Spaghetti western ever made, and then copied & pasted them into a single movie. People who've never seen the old ones seemed to think he was a genius.

10. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Exactly.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I have seen some real stinkers over the years, but I usually stick through them, if for no other reason than as a form of "self flagellation" and Karmic penitence. If I remember correctly, I've only bailed early twice, both times at "acclaimed" art films. One I don't remember the title, but it was about an affair between a young girl and an older man, very "European", and tastefully but boringly done. The other was a critics' favorite called The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover. (hope I got that in the right order) It had Helen Mirren and Michael Gambone in it.....both fantastic actors....and I kept watching and kept watching, thinking it HAD to get to a point that made sense......and it didn't. This is one film in particular that I don't believe EVER pops up on cable, even at 4 AM. I finally walked out of the theater, and I think that's when I finally realized that film critics are so far removed from the real world that we should all believe exactly the opposite of any opinion they give.
    Added a day later......the film I couldn't remember the title was Stay As You Are, 1978. Avoid it like, well, THE PLAGUE.......;)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    Mad Kiwi, black_doug and Jakedog like this.
  12. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I start four or five movies for every one I finish. There are tens of thousands of free movies on Netflix and Amazon Prime. No need to waste time on a stinker.

13. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Tried watching Black Panther 3x, but slipped into a coma each time. Great cast in a steaming pile of yawn.

14. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

We have a Firestick & watch mostly independent horror movies or TCM type classics; most have the same plot...couple of nerdy guys & a couple of hott babes in shorty shorts being chased through the woods by some monster. I FF to see the monster & if the monster is CGI, I bail.
    My favorite is Rawhead Rex. He is one badass monster.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG][/

nojazzhere and Jakedog like this.
  16. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Nowadays, my wife and I don't bother with most movies that don't rate at least 6.5 out of 10 stars on the IMDB, so bailing on crummy movies isn't much of a factor anymore.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    Tommy Biggs and studio1087 like this.
  17. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I actually enjoyed the way The Hateful Eight combined a chamber drama/mystery with a western setting, but it absolutely would have been greatly improved by cutting an hour out of it. There was a really cool western potboiler hidden under all that fat.

Jakedog likes this.
  18. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I enjoyed The Hateful Eight, long as it was. I also enjoyed the Ridiculous Six, and that was a stinker, but funny at times.

19. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Tarantino fan here too. Although he's brilliant, also very uneven. Sometimes even inside the movie, like tries to be too clever. But the best ones are like jewels. Really great films.

With Hateful Eight, I fell asleep somewhere during the 1st hour and never finished.

stinkey and Jakedog like this.
  20. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

The part that did it for me was the Kurt Russell guitar smash. Even before I knew that it turned out to be an antique Martin worth 275k.

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.