Wait...what ? I could have spent $900 more ?!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Mike Eskimo, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had no idea PRS made whatever that guitar on the bottom is .

I know that my MIC Corvette isn’t an exact copy of an old one but the pickups are phenomenal and and I’m also guessing that the PRS is imported as well so ...

Are the pickup’s God’s voice ? Is it the birds ? Wha ?

26A8A77B-731C-4CAC-BF61-148FE041D3A4.jpeg CE8972D6-6226-4C25-9EC0-89659C3799F1.jpeg

Tommy Biggs and backporchmusic like this.
  2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

The PRS Starla was USA; not imported. They started out as part of what is now known as the "Core" line, but were moved to the S2 series when that series debuted in 2013. The model was discontinued at the end of 2018.

Greggorios likes this.
  3. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

LOVE the Mega'trons. Only HBs i really enjoy playing.

Edited to add that the Starla looks like its daddy was an Astro Jet.

4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

As far as I have seen those guitars are only a few hundred dollars difference (and that PRS is USA Made). I have never played the one you own, but every PRS I have played has been high quality and good value at its price point. Not sure why you would diss a mid-priced guitar you haven't even played; $1200 new is a very competitive price for a USA instrument.

5. Mike Eskimo

My Corvette was $430 “used” ( it was NOS) at Motor City Guitar.

I actually have played plenty of PRS’s , in all price ranges with one of my favorites being an SE Soapbar. I was just struck by how similar they looked - or to be more accurate, how similar the Starla looks to the Corvette.

6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

If you look at the shape of the Corvette, which Gretsch has had since the 60's, and compare it to the now iconic PRS double cutaway shape, you'll find more than a passing resemblance. Just sayin'. 6-Silver Duke Gretsch Corvette.jpg s2-custom24-awt.jpg

7. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

In all fairness the Starla was designed to be kind of a "Gretsch-y" version of the Singlecut in the first place. One thing I neglected to mention was that the original Starla was PRS's shorter 24.5" scale length, but when they moved to the S2 series they changed to the typical PRS 25" scale length (and from the Wide Fat/Pattern neck to the narrower Pattern Regular neck shape).

Similar, but the PRS shape is a bit more stratty then the Gretsch shape. In all honesty Gretsch Corvettes always reminded me of a blobby, melted Gibson LP Jr./Special doublecut - which of course is the shape PRS appropriated for the bulk his original attic-built guitars and the current production Santana models.

SheldonP likes this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

I love the wide PRS necks I’ve played.

Especially on the Korean soapbar model I played.

I can imagine people with small hands not liking them though.

Yeah, the megatron pickups are pretty great. A Corvette was not on my radar at all. It was just in a rack of used stuff in the store and it practically floated up at me it was so light. 6 pounds and a couple ounces. And the neck was 1 11/16” wide and decently full.

Sold.

6stringcowboy likes this.
  9. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Had a 60’s ‘vette (1 pu, someone put a 70’s Dimarzio SD in. Should have kept that one...

10. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

There's also the Washburn Idol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

john kleeman likes this.
  11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The reason for the similarities is that guitar buyers are only going to spend cash on certain shaped guitars. Apparently the PRS Strat-Like-Object is their number one biggest seller.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mike Eskimo and Tommy Biggs like this.
  12. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

I have both the core model Starla and the Starla X. Both are from 2009 and they are designed by Joe Knaggs. I guess they’re PRS’s take on Gibson as both have the shorter scale length. The Starla is all mahogany but the Starla X is made of some really light woods. Comes in at 6lb’s. Great American made guitars and both were 800 bucks. Cheaper than a used S2 model. A02EA87C-9668-4B44-AED1-F6DA57B193F8.jpeg

13. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

gretsch-astro-jet.jpg
    Gretsch Astro Jet

thunderbyrd, radiocaster and Brian J. like this.
  14. Mike Eskimo

Should have bought an Astro Jet when they were oddball pawn shop/used guitars. Now they’re untouchable/ridiculously priced. I love ‘em.

6stringcowboy and Brian J. like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.