Wait... Someone explain current gear prices to me

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thesamhill, Jun 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don't mean, like, explain market capitalism or anything. But I just looked up prices on reverb for my Fender Champ silverface and they appear to be listed for 4 or 5 times what I paid 5 years ago.

Is that for real? Are people actually paying those prices? Cuz I like mine pretty well, and I am not a wheeler dealer type, but... this thing might be finding a new home

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

You can filter Reverb by sold to see what's actually paid. It's still a lot higher than it used to be just 3 or so years ago though.

What's causing it is good ole low supply and high demand plus inflation.

3. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe. Be sure to factor replacement costs before getting too excited.

telemnemonics and thesamhill like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It seems to be “gouge while you think you can” lately.
    It is hard to source some things because of the recent ordeal.
    You can always wait, and shop later.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Supply lines have been interrupted on MANY things, not just musical gear. Items that were dirt cheap a year ago are inflated several times over. Last week, one day I went over to the mailbox across the street. After getting the mail, I noticed my neighbors pickup truck had a yellow piece of paper on the radio antenna. Being nosy, I walked down to see if he had gotten a parking ticket. When I got to his truck I could easily read the note on yellow paper. It said, "I will buy this truck running or not, as is, where is, for a good cash price, no gimmick, call me!" The truck is probably five or six years old, a larger four door model Ford F-150. There are mail flyers, and notes on my door at least once a week offering to buy my house, no inspection, cash, and close in ten days. I didn't even know it was possible to close that quickly.

I sold off some golf equipment a month or so ago. After selling off some of the better stuff one item at a time, I grouped some things together and put an ad on CL. One guy came to look at one of the clubs, and just bought all of them! Conversely, clubs for sale now are way too high.

6. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's a fact. Real estate, lumber, food all as bad or even worse than guitars and gear. The jury's still out on if, or when, some of these items will see prices stabilize or come down.

7. sax4blues

sax4blues Poster Extraordinaire

Vintage gear becomes more rare every day so the prices reflect exclusivity more than functionality. Also inflation + many people have quite a bit of discretionary spending money.

JayFreddy and thesamhill like this.
  8. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think another factor is that people were "stuck at home" for a year, and they took up things like crafts and hobbies, and for many that "finally learn to play the guitar". So that is (or was) driving the high demand.

On the flipside, I wonder if we'll see the market flooded with all sorts of cheap gear in the near future.

That said, I've been eyeing the Yamaha NTX line for over a year and they're scarce as horse beaks.

northernguitar and thesamhill like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You have no idea how many trinkets that my neighbors have bought with the windfalls that came about recently. They don't care what the price is. IMO, they will later.

Telekarster and thesamhill like this.
  10. Dostradamas

Dostradamas Tele-Meister

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/c...ainer-ship-traffic-jam-is-still-really-jammed

All the ships full of freight were in line headed to port then covid happened.
    All the ships with covid specific freight jumped to the front of the line.
    Biggest port on the west coast can only process so many ships at a time..

Also if you noticed the west coast is flooded with cheap cargo containers.
    This is because we are importing way more containers worth of stuff than we are exporting.
    Empty containers are stacking up and not heading back out with goods.

thesamhill likes this.
  11. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

Not to mention that many factories were closed for weeks and weeks and many of them re-opened at something like 25% capacity and ran that way for months and months.

Greggorios likes this.
  12. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

Animal shelters too.

13. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, remember to account for its replacement. Like the housing and auto market, people are saying "I can get $xxxx more than I paid for it two years ago! I'm selling to Carvana!" and seem to forget they have to buy in the same market they sold in.

Money is mostly a number on a screen these days, but what you have in your hands is an actual thing that give you something you want/need. To some that's more valuable than cash in an inflated and recovering economy.

nojazzhere and thesamhill like this.
  14. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thanks all!

Good point! I haven't played this amp regularly for a few years. Of course, selling it will mean that somehow I'll find the perfect use for it and nothing else will do.

Please don't take my "like" as a like for crowded animal shelters. It was more of a "good point" like than a "like" like

northernguitar and Greggorios like this.
  15. pi

pi Tele-Meister

Across the board on reverb I see people asking above retail price for used gear, for the exact same models that are currently available new from retailers. It's bonkers.

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Supply and demand … ummmmm …. free market capitalism.:D

stormsedge likes this.
  17. corliss1

corliss1 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Asking prices aren't necessarily sold prices.

Last SF Champ I watched on ebay that was in decent shape sold for $630, which still kinda blows my mind.

18. rze99

rze99 Doctor of Teleocity

This thread again?

sax4blues and getbent like this.
  19. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Just heard some econ experts on the radio yesterday talking about another housing market bust in the next year or so, and likewise goods and services... so... guess we'll have to wait and see but yeah things are not making sense right now IMO.

20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

About 19 months ago there was a mysterious and novel virus spreading across parts of China and Europe and unfortunately it scaled into a global pandemic that disrupted many supply chains including those that affect luxury and entertainment items.
    Combine that with most everyone staying away from their jobs, enormous surge in leisure time, many hobby items have seen record demand.

You can read more about the global response to the Coronavirus 2019 pandemic here:
    https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus#tab=tab_1

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.