1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wait: King of Tone us selling for $700+ on Reverb?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by burntfrijoles, Apr 5, 2021.

1. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Tele-Meister

There is a B. K Butler tube driver on reverb for about 900 euro. Very optimistic as it is still being made and availble for $299.
    Prices on the big platforms just keeps getting crazier, while on the smaller sites/boards, it's hard to get anything at all for your stuff.

2. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

I got on the list October 2020 (maybe early November. At least 3 year wait, maybe more.) In the meantime, building a Rullywow queen of bones 2. Videos I have watched compare it to a real KOT and sounds identical. Just use quality components. The diodes are the tricky part. I dont have any MA856 but I have BA282, which is almost exactly the same.

3. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I got mine about a week ago. I just worked out, I was on the wait list for three years and eight months.

Pax/
    Dean

Urshurak776 likes this.
  4. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Two (2) x Prince Of Tone pedals = $296
    One (1) short patch cable = $10
    Total - $306

loopfinding likes this.
  5. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I bought mine on Reverb a couple years ago in mint condition for less than $400. Glad to see my investment is growing nicely. :D

6. Urshurak776

POT circuit is slightly different (higher gain,) but pretty close. Lots of banter about this all over the internet. My guess is it is close enough.

7. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

These folks have MA858s and MA859s that are supposedly authentic Panasonic units, and probably as close as you'll get to the real Panasonic MA856 - BQ Music KoT diode sets (note: I have no affil. with them).

The fundamental problem with diode chasing (in this case, anyway) is the forward voltage varies from unit to unit, so is anyone sorting them for a specific target forward voltage? Given how rare the MA856 is, I kind of doubt that this is happening (but admit that I could be wrong).

IME, you can actually tweak the clipping response in a Bluesbreaker/KoT/etc. with much greater precision by replacing the 6.8K series resistor with a trimpot. If the average forward voltage of an MA856 diode is a little bit higher than the average forward voltage of a 1N4148, then increasing the series resistance to 6.9K - 7.2K with 1N4148s will probably result in very similar sonics.

8. Urshurak776

Great idea!

I got my BA282 diodes from DIY Guitar pedals in Australia. He has a YouTube channel. Supposedly he has tested them and has sold them as KOT alternatives. I'm a beginner player anyway, so doubt I will notice the difference ! :)

9. Walden

Walden TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Only a couple more years waiting time, and I'll own one... (to keep!)

10. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

I’d rather have an SD-1 for $50 new.

sax4blues likes this.
  11. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi

Very true.

But arguably, you’ll need two of them to be the ‘equivalent,’ possibly one of them with a slight difference if you want something like a boost/overdrive arrangement.

So, now you’re at $100.

I’ve said this before, but it’s worth repeating, at a base price of US$265, the King of Tone is actually relatively cheap for a quality dual overdrive. It’s quite cheap for a great one that’s really famous. It’s especially cheap since it is still a true boutique pedal.

Pax/
    Dean

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.