Wait - aren't original Blues Deluxes sought-after/kinda valuable ?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Mike Eskimo, Jun 25, 2019.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

FWIW, the 60th Anniversary Woody Pro Jr. was priced at $1,200 when new in 2006. The one in that Reverb listing is $750.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That ‘woody’ Pro Jr. is cosmetic fluff around an inexpensively built amp circuit, imho. My money stays in my pocket at half of that asking price.

slider313 likes this.
  3. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

It’s the cab, not the amp.

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Hard to argue with that, but I got mine at my local shop in 2016 where it had been sitting for ten years. 200 bills out the door. Thought that was more than a good deal. I play it out regularly and it has turned out to be quite the little workhorse for me. Looks danged cool, too.

Scott

Wally and brbadg like this.
  5. Wally

E5SRY, at that price it is a different matter....kudos.

E5RSY likes this.
  6. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I've been daydreaming about buying a Blues Deluxe cheap and recabbing it in a 3 x 10 cabinet, a la tweed Bandmaster. I imagine getting it to sound somewhat tweed-ish, but with reverb. I suppose I could just get a Blues Deville but I like the lower power (40 vs 60) of the Blues Deluxe.

Good reading these insights on the BD series, as it kind of throws a wet blanket on this whole stupid idea. Yet, it would be nice to have a tweed with 'verb....

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  7. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

There is a guy in my area, he may post here, that offers to gut and rebuild an amp in the BD chassis. Im thinking a blonde bassman.....

8. Wally

In effect and inexpensively done, the Blues/Hot Rod series are tweed based designs. The reverb in them is solid state. The SuperSonics have both a BF based preamp and a tweed based preamp...although I read of reliability issues. It is built to the same quality point as the BF Reissues.
    The Pro Sonic is a well-built tweed based amp with tube reverb and great versatility.

9. WildcatTele

WildcatTele Tele-Meister

I have a '94 Blues Deville that had this problem, I think it was a common issue with all the "Blues" series that was fixed in later years. There was a resistor in the power supply circuit that was undersized (power rating) and would get get hot with extended use, causing the issues documented here. It weakened the solder joint so that after about ten minutes of use the channels would "flicker" back and forth and the amp was unusable. I swapped the resistor with one the same value but a much higher power rating and mounted it away from the board and haven't had any issues in the last three or four years with it.

One thing that can be said about the Blues series is that they are LOUD and there's no volume control past three or four. I dime mine and put a volume pedal in the effects loop to tame it...you can actually get a little box with a pot and a couple of quarter inch jacks on it that's specially fitted for the loop plugs on eBay or make one yourself...sounds pretty divine when you do that.

stanger likes this.
  10. Wally

The problem with the quick ramp up of volume with that first gain stage can be simply addressed by running a 12AY7 in V1. This also yields a better overdrive signal.

drlucky likes this.
  11. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

my only criticism about the bd I had was the reverb was not my favorite and, of course, it was kinda heavy... and the drive channel was not useful.

12. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

So, what did you like about it? :D

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

it was a beefier deluxe that was inexpensive and small and loud when I needed it, sounded good with pedals, super reliable, I lived in colorado and would play in a hot club, load out, sometimes -5º, leave it in the truck (with all of my gear) it would get up to 40 during the day, go to the gig, play, repeat... it nearly never came inside the house.. usually in the garage in between... I beat the tar out of it, it never failed me and held its value through its life.

People rip on the wave soldering and flabby blah blah, but for playing bars it was fantastic... I never put the reverb higher than 2, but when I did mess with it at home... it wasn't groovy classic fender reverb.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  14. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Good points. Of course, I already have a Bassman-based amp in my Pro Tube Concert Amp. I don't care what people say, that amp is a stout workhorse, and versatile to boot.
    The only reason I'd be putting together a 3x10 Blues Deluxe is for the novelty of having a tweed Bandmaster-styled amp.

stanger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.