Wait - aren't original Blues Deluxes sought-after/kinda valuable ?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Mike Eskimo, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Peteb, I would consider the Blues/Hot Rod amps to be at the bottom of the price range for Fender tube amps. The Reissues are the midrange, with the Pro Sonic and the Custom Shop amps at the top. The Pro Sonic started out in the CS. Fender has built exactly one amp with the construction method of the Pro Sonic...none other is built in that manner. The Reissues are not as well built.
    As for Mesa being the progenitor of Dual rectifiers, that is not so. Fender had dual rectifiers in the 5E8 Twin in 1955...and one could be pulled to gain different response.

Back to the subject.... collectibility has only one driving force...demand. I don’t see why that would occur; but if it does and I can buy one cheaply and sell it to a ‘collector’ for profit, I would not argue with the reality. I don’t foresee such a reality, but we people are strange creatures who do strange things, right?

H. Mac, 2 Headed Goat and peteb like this.
  2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

Information/education.

I also know that the much praised Pro Sonic is in exactly the same category as the Blues Dlx = way too freaking loud for me to get anything toneful out of either of them.

I’m fairly set with my $190 Gemini 1 , a Cube 60 for other gigs and a couple filthy pedals.

But as a long-married man famously said “I still look !”

drlucky and JayFreddy like this.
  3. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

When they reissued the "Blues" series amps, they did update/improve the gain structure, as there was a bit of an issue with dialing in the gain settings on the originals, with the cascading controls they use. I did play through an original USA made Blues DeVille at a jam years ago, and I liked it a lot, never played the Deluxe version, but I know it was well received at the time.
    Al

peteb likes this.
  4. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

Hey Wally,

Good point, Fender was first with the dual rectifier, but, I think to them it was just one rectifier.

Gonna do some reading

ADEEF76A-A94C-4E81-A191-5B147DD68BFA.jpeg 2B91BB20-AD6C-420F-B4E0-5D23FE3D1169.jpeg 692B8562-0D75-459A-8369-4AA1E9298A96.jpeg

5. Wally

Pete, I am lucky enough to have owned one back in the ‘90’s.....A 1956. I owned 2 1959 Bandmasters at the same time. The 5E8A has a great similarity to the 5E7 Bandmaster/5f4 Super/5E5A Pro amps when running on a single rectifier. I have been fortunate enough to have given some Tweeds a home for a while. Some of them I brought back from dire circumstances. One of those Bandmasters came to me as just a Chassis...no cab or speakers.
    Hey, I have a bare 1956 5F6A chassis and a bare 5E5A chassis that need components built into them. They are the remains of a fire.
    Heads??? I need to get busy.

2 Headed Goat and peteb like this.
  6. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

The pro sonic is a good comparison with the blues deluxe, they are both modern classics and both PCB based with a loyal following.

The pro sonic should have the advantage of much lower production numbers to give it value and make it collectible.

The question should be, and is

How much does a used RI blues deluxe compare to a used blues deluxe of the original series?

I think the question has been answered. Not much if at all.

7. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I love it when Wally talks about the Prosonic. It literally gives me a warm feeling inside. I'm gigging my red lizard-skinned PS at an outdoor block party this 4th of July. Even put in a blue jewel light. I got it and a 72 Twin in the same deal for $900. I eventually decided the 2x10 Prosonic was as much firepower as I would ever need and traded the Twin for a mint Martin D-17m that gets a lot more use and is less likely to cause an injury.

Also had an original BDX that was fine, but never did that much for me. The master volume was ridiculously touchy and never found a sweet spot for it.

In my experience the Prosonic is vastly underrated and can be had for pretty cheap. Neither have any sort of value to collectors as far as I can tell.

2 Headed Goat and Wally like this.
  8. Wally

I finished resurrecting a 1991 Marshall JTM 45 RI today. I had to compare the Pro Sonic. In the tube rectified/fixed bias mode, the Pro Sonic can do what the JTM RI does; but the Marshall cannot go where the Pro Sonic goes. I have found this in comparisons with a number of amps...some of them very high dollar boutique amps. I think the Pro Sonic is much undervalued in the market....I have thought this for a long time. I feel the same about the Super Champ. I have turned down stupid money for a Super Champ outfitted with an EVI/FOrce speaker. If a Blues Deluxe brings $400-500, a Super .champ is WAAAY up there in my book.....
    I love good amps..... my only problem with them are that I like to turn any amp up to where things are ‘cooking’. Full bore??. My little California record player/P.A. 5 water is a monster....clean or overdriven. It is a mighty amp...better than any modern small watt amp I have come across. Single EL-84. I paid $25 when it didn’t even have a power cable. Best Buy ever for sound/money returns. When I got it running and heard it, I fell out...unreal! Odd thing...it has a 7199 in it....so does the 1996 Fury I got for not much...dead silent amp. Magnificent amp running 2x7868’s.
    So....no...I won’t be collecting Blues/Hot Rod amps. They are utilitarian amps if they are working properly and set up well. An English band with a hit from the ‘90’s came through with a Deville. They wanted me to have a look at it for some reason....perfect condition even though it was form early in the amp’s production. Those sandcast resistors were fine and did not show heat problems. The bias was set to a warm point....the amp sounded fine...totally usable. I would not have given much for it if it had been for sale, but it was one that filled a need. I would gladly give 3-4 times as much for a Pro Sonic combo were I a Pro and needing quality equipment. Collectable??? That is another reality..... I got my Premier Super 88 back on line last week and heard it for the first time. Whoa!!!!!! Great sound, Great tonal versatility, cool aesthetic vibes......rock and roll history as the sound of ‘Rumble’...a song which drove many to pick up a guitar...Jimmy Page for one since he acknowledges that he was much inspired by Link Wray’s music....Rumble for one...to pick up a guitar.
    Collectability is a different thing to different people...hence the variances in the market. One can collect what they wish. However, don’t let personal passion over-ride the age old wisdom......don’t buy so high you lose on the sale.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  9. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

I had an original Blues Deluxe and thought it was a great little amp. I never understood why it wasn’t more popular. I never had a guitar sound bad through it.

The only reason I traded mine is because it became redundant after I rehabbed a Super Reverb.

10. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

This

11. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

My thoughts have always been as follows:

Sought after? Yes but no. Yes if you're already in the market for a similar Hot Rod Deluxe and you stumble across an original Blues Deluxe. In the greater scheme of things you don't hear these mentioned in the same breathe as other vintage amps....yet.... They're still considered an affordable "best kept secret" and have been for most of their existence. Like was mentioned earlier there are thousands of them still available.

Valuable? In my opinion not worth anymore than a comparable HRDLX.

Back when these first came out Pete Anderson always had one on stage when Dwight Yoakam was touring behind the "This Time" album and I thought Pete's tone on the "Dwight Live" album was very good. So naturally I wanted one but I never picked up a Blues Deluxe but I did get a Hot Rod Deluxe.

Never could get a sound out of it like Pete on that live album. I sold the amp after a couple years. I later found out Pete never used the Blues Deluxe other than for looks and as a stage monitor for his real amps he was using back stage..... bummer.....

2 Headed Goat and slider313 like this.
  12. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I highly doubt any of Fender's pcb offerings will ever be considered "collectable". JMHO

2 Headed Goat and Les H like this.
  13. Wally

Except maybe the Pro Sonic, built it is built like a tank compared to all other Fender PCB amps. The Reissues are better than the Blues/Hot rods, but the Pro Sonic is a much better built amp than are the Reissues and the Super Sonics, which are on a par with the Reissues.

14. stanger

stanger Tele-Meister

The early re-issues often had a manufacturing glitch in the circuit wiring; part of the wiring was too close to a tube (or some other heat source), and the soldering would soften over time when the amp became hot.

When the solder cooled, it would often crack, or would allow the wire to become loose enough to not have solid contact. This would cause the circuit to fail, but because the solder didn't melt or look obvious, was hard to spot.

Apparently, sometimes the wire would just be knocked a little too lose once the amp was picked up and then set back down when it was cool. I never learned if it was a design or a production problem, or both.

It didn't always happen, either, but it did to my amp, when it was still new and just out of warranty.

I was a good stress-tester; playing gigs in Idaho in the winters means an amp will go from -30 straight onto a stage, where it gets to be 100º on the inside of the amp in about 3 minutes. I sued to watch the frost melt off the metal amp corners as I played.
    And after returning home at 4 a.m., there were lots of times when I brought my guitars in the house, but left the amps and gear in the truck outside.
    All my instrument's hard cases had padded case covers, which kept them from becoming real cold. Those covers cost as much a the cases!

I had a pal who was a brilliant amp technician, and after he discovered the problem, he just re-wired the affected wires to go over the circuit board rather than on the underside, which allowed enough space that the wires stayed cooler.

Never had any problems afterward, and the amp got a LOT more use after the repair than it had before the failure. My buddy died a long younger than he should have, and I really miss him. He was a great player, the best electronics tech I've ever known, and a really good friend.

I think of him every time I jack a guitar into that old amp. It's still a super amplifier for my style, and it probably helped the way I like to play more than any other amp I ever owned.
    regards,
    stanger

drlucky and Mike Eskimo like this.
  15. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

When it came out in 1993, Fender actually called it the "Tweed Series". It included these amps:

Blues DeVille
    Blues Deluxe
    Blues Junior
    Pro Junior

When they moved everything to the Hot Rod series a few years later, they made changes to the first two amps, but just kept the last two as they were.

An interesting aside, the Teagle & Sprung book says that in '95 the whole Tweed Series became available in white tolex with maroon grille cloth. Can't say I've ever seen any of those, but sounds like a cool look.

16. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

The Blues Deville and Deluxe were discontinued when the Hot Rods came out, only later they were reissued, with some improvements to the circuit. That's when they were added to the Hot Rod series.
    Al

17. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I played a blues deluxe for a lot of the 90's in a classic rock band... loved it. beefy. changed tubes once I think, used the original speaker all the way, traded it for the fender vibrating speaker thingy... had that a few years and sold it for what I bought the blues deluxe for new...

the guy who bought it calls me 3 days later and says, "man, I just wanted you to know, you ripped me off' and I am flummoxed, "whaaa?' and he is 4-5 hours away, I'd driven 2 to meet him for the sale...

After 20 minutes on the phone, he finally understands how to use it... Calls me back the next day and says, "wow! what a set of sounds" and I have a tinge of regret for a groovy tool I used twice a year, maybe... cool stuff... I bought the BD at a store (back porch music) in Grand Junction... what a great store that was back then!

Hatfield92 likes this.
  19. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Right. Thought that's what I was saying. I meant Deluxe and Deville, not Blues Deluxe and Blues Deville specifically.

RSY

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  20. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.