Wait a minute, you met who?

Martian

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Oh yeah, I was in an antique shop in Manhattan, down near GV, I looked up and there was Harvey Keitel right in front of me. He was with a boy, maybe 8 years old, I assume it was a grandchild. As with many of the meetings discussed in this thread, he was, let's say, less thrilled about running into me than I was in running in to him. I couldn't help myself; I blurted out, as quietly as I could, so as not to draw unwanted attention, something like, "Wow it's nice to see you, I really enjoy your work."

He gave me a warm smile and a quiet "Thank you", then we moved on. What a cool character he is.
Oh yeah, I was in an antique shop in Manhattan, down near GV, I looked up and there was Harvey Keitel right in front of me. He was with a boy, maybe 8 years old, I assume it was a grandchild. As with many of the meetings discussed in this thread, he was, let's say, less thrilled about running into me than I was in running in to him. I couldn't help myself; I blurted out, as quietly as I could, so as not to draw unwanted attention, something like, "Wow it's nice to see you, I really enjoy your work."

He gave me a warm smile and a quiet "Thank you", then we moved on. What a cool character he is.
I was in an elevator with my father and these two other guys at Lennox Hill hospital, around 1974. Harvey Keitel came in and was standing next to me. (I was surprised how short he was.) Suddenly one of the guys looks at him and says, in a true Brooklyn accent, “Hey, I know you. You’re an actor, right??” He slaps his friend and says, “Hey look who it is; who is this guy, you know him, right?!” Then, to Keitel, “You’re, you’re, don’t tell me, I know….Who are you? You’re an actor, right?? It was hysterical. Just like that scene in Annie Hall for those familiar with the movie. Anyway, Keitel seemed painfully uncomfortable. I felt bad for him. But I remember being impressed that that guy had any idea at all who he was. Not many people knew the film Mean Streets and that was about the only film of note that he had been in by then.
I also met Sid Vicious in the bathroom at Max’s Kansas City during his week of shows there. Small bathrooms are not the place to initiate conversation with strangers so I just said, “How you doin’?” To which he nodded with a kinda goofy smile and gave a big old “Ey ey, captain” wink. I found it endearing, actually. A true lost boy. Sad.

I also came face to face late one night with David Berkowitz, aka the Son of Sam killer. But that’s a whole other story for another time.

sloppychops

Friend of Leo's
I met Aaron Neville when producing a radio spot featuring him. Sat about 5 feet from him as we discussed the script. He sang a bit of "Tell it like it is" for us. Chills down my spine.

Also met Allan Touissant and Irma Thomas when producing radio spots featuring them.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
oh yeah.... Bob Hope too

what a dork

I never met Bob Hope (although I did see him speak live at UCLA when I was a student there), but I did go to low-rent end of his estate sale at his home in Toluca Lake, down the street from my sister-in-law's house. It was lame. They didn't let anyone go past the driveway and all they had were things like Bob Hope swizzle sticks. I had much better luck at an estate sale at Charlton Heston's house in 2016. We got to roam throughout the house -- often alone -- save for the family bedrooms on the upper level, and I came away with three of his toupees (and one fake beard).

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
Back in the 80's I was visiting family in Los Angeles and they wanted to take me to Malibu to a favorite restaurant of theirs. The place was right on the ocean with large picture windows that gave a panoramic view of the water. It was beautiful. Anyway, we're sitting there waiting to be served. There was another family sitting in a group of tables next to us, looking like they were going to celebrate something. All of a sudden, none other than THE Betty White walks in the door and sits down at the head of their table!!! I guess it was her birthday and their family was throwing her a dinner there. It was awesome and she didn't seem anything like the character she played in Golden Girls at all. Very nice lady, and very intelligent from what I deduced.

;)
Back in the 70's, that was Alice's Restaurant. Girlfriend of mine took me there for my birthday. I fished at the pier there with my Dad. It is another restaurant now. The Jack in the box is right across the street. They use to have real Kona coffee. I went there with my sister on a cold day and parked for the thirty minute limit. Then walked to the end of the pier and back, dressed warm, with my Kona coffee.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Back in the 70's, that was Alice's Restaurant. Girlfriend of mine took me there for my birthday. I fished at the pier there with my Dad. It is another restaurant now. The Jack in the box is right across the street. They use to have real Kona coffee. I went there with my sister on a cold day and parked for the thirty minute limit. Then walked to the end of the pier and back, dressed warm, with my Kona coffee.

No kidding! Ha! How bout that? It's been so many years that I honestly don't remember the name of the place, but I'll take your word for it. It was a really neat place. I'm surprised it's still there! I figured some natural disaster might've taken it out long ago. Good to know it's still around. I'll never forget those panoramic scenes of the ocean, the water crashing against the rocks, etc. it was a stunning view that was only complemented by Mrs. White's entrance.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
Alice's restaurant probably hasn't been there for 35 years. But another high end restaurant is there last time I was there.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
At a concert recently a man recognized my Pogo t-shirt, and he introduced me to his friend, who is Walt Kelly's son.

That was a thrill for me. Walt Kelly is an American hero.

IMG_20220921_133522441.jpg

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Hey boris, did you ever meet Pud Brown? another clarinetist down there and kind of a local hero to some, maybe not celebrity enough for this thread

I think he used to play at the Palm Court

lots of, ahem, colorful characters down there
No, I didn't meet him. I really tended to go the other way, and musicians at Preservation Hall routinely "Parked and Locked" at my lot on Chartres across from Channel 6. I certainly would have enjoyed talking to these guys if they wanted to introduce themselves and chew the fat, but honestly, to most of them it was the last part of a very long day and I imagine they craved peace and quiet. Most New Orleans pro musicians were reticent about self promotion - a guy like Pete Fountain was a standout for his ebullience.

I got to see Johnny Bench play for the Columbus Jets, in Colombus, before he got called up. So obvious, he was the standout player on that club.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
I “met” John Sebastian at the Summer NAMM show here in Austin, about 15 years ago.
I kept running into him at various booths.

About 20+ years ago a friend of a friend of mine was in talks with JS about doing a blues CD. Apparently he and JS went way back I guess. Anyway, since I was about the only Delta Blues National guitar player in a tri-state area at the time, my buddy says "Hey man, are you interested in the project?" So... we went over to his friends house to discuss it and, in the convo, his buddy says "Well... hold on. Let me call John and see if we can get some of these questions answered..." I'm standing there going "Huh? Is he really picking up the phone to call JS.... right now??? No..." Sure enough, he does. He puts John on speaker and we ask our questions etc. John was super cool and a very nice man e.g. groovy :cool: The only thing I needed to know was what my role in all this would be, demo songs, etc. so I could practice and that was it. Call lasted about 5 minutes. The whole time I'm thinking "Man... even if this doesn't work out, it was cool to talk to JS!" LOL!!! Well... the project never took off but that's AOK by me ;) Was a cool little musical moment in my life that I'll never forget; it was an honor to be considered.

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Here's a picture of me and some guy that said he played with Led Zeppelin or something, I dunno.

Attachments

• IMG_8356.JPG
    IMG_8356.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 36

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
I remembered I met Dick Vermeil when I saw him being honored at the Eagles game. We were at a wedding. He was quiet and unassuming very unfootball like. Nice guy.

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
The Steve's. Wozniak and Jobs. Waay back in the day; I'm not 100% sure on the dates so don't hold my feet to the fire, but I think it may have been late '70 or early 71. My Mom worked at the same place as Woz's Mom, I again don't recall what company. May have been Fairchild. But anyway one weekend my Mom says we're going over her friends house in Cupertino. I didn't want to go but I went anyway and was in a weird mood. We get there, bog-standard 3bd. 2b. tract home in Cupertino, they're chatting away in the kitchen I'm sitting in a comfy chair in the living room. The chair was exactly like the chair in the TV show Fraser, the one his Dad sat in. Remember that? Classic 70's style, lol. I'm sitting there daydreaming and Woz's Mom comes and asks me if I wanna go in Steve's room and meet him, play with him. etc. I say no I'm OK. She was maybe worried cuz I was behaving so well, just sitting there. She asks me if I wanna watch TV I say no, thanks. They had a Curtis Mathis huge console thing like my Grandparents did.
After awhile Woz's Mom went and got Steve out of his room, he came out and sat on the floor near me playing with a Moog synthesizer, tearing it apart etc. We don't talk. But he asks me if I knew what it was. I did but I said no, cuz I didn't want to talk with him. He looked about 14 years old, short small kid. But he actually had just come back from a year at college in Colorado. So he was at least 19. I was 12 maybe. After awhile he goes back in his room. I was into baseball and sports and to me he was a little nerd lookin' kid. I didn't wanna be friends with him.
It was either on this occasion or another time we were at their house when someone rang the doorbell, I got up to answer it and a kid with black longish hair asked if Steve was home. I turned around to call to Woz's Mom that someone was at the door but she had shot down like a flash to the front door (their kitchen was raised up a few inches from the living room) and she was right there nudging me out of the way taking over the situation.
It was Steve Jobs. She didn't want to let him in because he was a hippie kid with long hair who probably smoked dope. You have to remember the era. Woz' family was straight arrow middle-class, his Dad worked as an engineer at Lockheed, etc.
Anyway she WAS NOT going to let him into the house, lol. She went and got Steve he went outside for a few minutes to talk to Steve 2 and then went back in his room. I guess they were friends.
About a year later I'm riding my ten-speed in Rancho, a then crappy sub-division in Cupertino that now is "upper class" with HUGE McMansion's in it. The type where they tear down the old house and build a new house that takes up the entire lot. Back then it was just those crappy Eichler houses from the 50's. Anyway, this kid is skateboarding toward me, we cross paths and I see it's that kid from Woz's house, (Jobs). He's trippin' balls on acid, his eyes almost have stars and pin-wheels in them, lol. We look at each other, he recognizes me, smiles at me then we part. Not a word spoken. Another kid I didn't wanna know. Acid head. I wondered how the Steve's first became friends, two very different type of kids.

Last year I told this story to my French buddy who is a huge Apple fanboi and he was amazed, etc. His worshipful attitude is funny to me because they were just two dumbass kids. Never would have accomplished anything if Kerkorian hadn't bank-rolled them.

Last edited:

Informal

Tele-Afflicted
Met a handful of Country stars, semi famous session players etc....

The one huge star I met, was Jim Neighbors... Coming out of an elevator in Reno 30+ years ago.
Only thing I could muster... was.. GOLLLEEE! He shook my hand, and I scampered off, completely embarrassed.

I'll never forget how much taller he was than I had imagined, and that his hand, was the size of a catchers mitt.

From Gomer Pyle, I had this vision of him being well under 6 feet... and a tiny man for some reason.... Couldn't have been more wrong.

Last edited:

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
The Steve's. Wozniak and Jobs. Waay back in the day; I'm not 100% sure on the dates so don't hold my feet to the fire, but I think it may have been late '70 or early 71. My Mom worked at the same place as Woz's Mom, I again don't recall what company. May have been Fairchild. But anyway one weekend my Mom says we're going over her friends house in Cupertino. I didn't want to go but I went anyway and was in a weird mood. We get there, bog-standard 3bd. 2b. tract home in Cupertino, they're chatting away in the kitchen I'm sitting in a comfy chair in the living room. The chair was exactly like the chair in the TV show Fraser, the one his Dad sat in. Remember that? Classic 70's style, lol. I'm sitting there daydreaming and Woz's Mom comes and asks me if I wanna go in Steve's room and meet him, play with him. etc. I say no I'm OK. She was maybe worried cuz I was behaving so well, just sitting there. She asks me if I wanna watch TV I say no, thanks. They had a Curtis Mathis huge console thing like my Grandparents did.
After awhile Woz's Mom went and got Steve out of his room, he came out and sat on the floor near me playing with a Moog synthesizer, tearing it apart etc. We don't talk. But he asks me if I knew what it was. I did but I said no, cuz I didn't want to talk with him. He looked about 14 years old, short small kid. But he actually had just come back from a year at college in Colorado. So he was at least 19. I was 12 maybe. After awhile he goes back in his room. I was into baseball and sports and to me he was a little nerd lookin' kid. I didn't wanna be friends with him.
It was either on this occasion or another time we were at their house when someone rang the doorbell, I got up to answer it and a kid with black longish hair asked if Steve was home. I turned around to call to Woz's Mom that someone was at the door but she had shot down like a flash to the front door (their kitchen was raised up a few inches from the living room) and she was right there nudging me out of the way taking over the situation.
It was Steve Jobs. She didn't want to let him in because he was a hippie kid with long hair who probably smoked dope. You have to remember the era. Woz' family was straight arrow middle-class, his Dad worked as an engineer at Lockheed, etc.
Anyway she WAS NOT going to let him into the house, lol. She went and got Steve he went outside for a few minutes to talk to Steve 2 and then went back in his room. I guess they were friends.
About a year later I'm riding my ten-speed in Rancho, a then crappy sub-division in Cupertino that now is "upper class" with HUGE McMansion's in it. The type where they tear down the old house and build a new house that takes up the entire lot. Back then it was just those crappy Eichler houses from the 50's. Anyway, this kid is skateboarding toward me, we cross paths and I see it's that kid from Woz's house, (Jobs). He's trippin' balls on acid, his eyes almost have stars and pin-wheels in them, lol. We look at each other, he recognizes me, smiles at me then we part. Not a word spoken. Another kid I didn't wanna know. Acid head. I wondered how the Steve's first became friends, two very different type of kids.

Last year I told this story to my French buddy who is a huge Apple fanboi and he was amazed, etc. His worshipful attitude is funny to me because they were just two dumbass kids. Never would have accomplished anything if Kerkorian hadn't bank-rolled them.

Wow... that's quite a story man. I had no idea the 2 Steve's knew each other way back there. Funny how they both turned into who they became! Geesh! Wish I'd bought stock back then ;)