Wait a minute, you met who?

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve met a lot of musicians, but the most famous non-musician I ever met was in a hotel elevator in Hot Springs, Arkansas.

My daughter was about 7 years old, and took herself very seriously—especially when play-acting. We’d just eaten at Burger King or some other place that gave kids paper crowns, and of course, she was wearing hers proudly, along with a “princess dress”. She strode proudly into the elevator, swishing her skirt like she was at the Met Gala.

The other passenger suppressed a smile and asked her if she enjoyed being a princess…she looked at him, dead serious, and said, “You know, it has some great benefits…overall, I enjoy it…” (She’s always had a vocabulary beyond her years).

He held back his laughter and said, “It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance, your highness…”

She curtsied and said, “Likewise…”

At this point he almost burst out laughing. Meanwhile, I’m trying to figure out if it’s who I think it is; I finally spoke up, “Has anyone ever told you that you look a lot like John Ratzenberger?”

“Why, yes…yes, they have…”

“Is it because you are John Ratzenberger?”

“Why yes…yes, I think that’s the reason why…”

We both chuckled and I told my daughter, “Baby, this is the man who made the voice for the pig in Toy Story and Mack in Cars…” She had not seen Cheers at that point (and maybe still hasn’t 🤔).

She looked at him somewhat seriously, and considered whether she could recognize his face. He looked down at her and said the funniest line he had in Cars, “Oh no, did I forget to wipe my mud flaps?

She nodded her approval and appreciation, and said seriously, “You sound just like him!”

At that point, he finally burst out laughing, and as he got off the elevator he told me, “She’s a pill!”

You have no idea…” I replied.

We kept an eye out for him later that evening and the next morning to get his autograph, but unfortunately didn’t run across him again. We found out he was the Grand Marshall for the St Patrick’s Day Parade bring held that weekend in Hot Springs.

Last edited:

Blue Bill

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
A couple years ago, I was out to lunch with my parents, in Falmouth MA, close to where the ferry to Martha's Vineyard docks. A couple tables away I see Sandra Bullock. She was wearing jeans, a golf shirt, and an olive green baseball cap, pulled low over her face. She was having lunch with an older woman, who I assumed was her mom, and her kids. When I realized it was her, our eyes met for a couple seconds. I gave her a smile and a little upward nod. She smiled back for a second, then looked away.

I can only guess, but I think she appreciated that I recognized her and didn't make a fuss. Funny, no one else seemed to recognize her. At one point, she got up, I guess to use the ladies room. She went around our table instead of going straight past it, and with a little smile, bumped into my chair on the way by. I guess she knew it would be a thrill for me, she was right, the thrill of that bump is still with me; I've had a crush on her since Speed. She's smaller than I expected, just as beautiful as she is in the movies. It makes me smile every time I think of it.

saltyseadog

Tele-Holic
Well, I've slept in Leonid Brezhnev's (alleged) bed in Prague. What luck that he wasn't there anymore.
Reminds me of Billy Connolly being greeted by the manager of the Belfast hotel where he was staying. Manager is showing him his suite and says, Rod Stewart and Britt Ekland stayed here last, Billy quick as a flash says "I hope you've changed the sheets then?"

saltyseadog

Tele-Holic
At school in the early 60's in NE Scotland I was a member of a schoolboy soccer team picked to play against a side from Gordonstoun which was close by. Imagine our surprise when we saw Prince Charles was playing. In the end they took him off, as every time he got the ball he was fouled with his security detective going mad on the sidelines.

Remember being amazed and gawking at John and Yoko on Elgin high street in the late 60's. They were on their way to visit John's aunt in Sutherland. I think there was a crash and they were injured a few days later.

In my hippy days my buddy and I were hitching to the second ever Glastonbury, 1970/1 iirc. We were on the M4 just outside, Hammersmith when this brand new range rover stopped and Robert Plant driving and Jimmy Page passenger gave us a lift right through to Newbury?.

Together with some other locals had a couple of drinks with David Bowie a top guy who came across as just one of the boys really, in a bar in Hopeman in the 80's when he was up visiting his son who was also at Gordonstoun and rented a house in the village. Iirc his son was known as Joe and not Zowie locally.

RoscoeElegante

Poster Extraordinaire
Me, back when I was fat, I had just had lunch with this guy, yes, it's Bob Dylan....
View attachment 1010390

RJ
Oh, come on, man. Don't TEASE us.

What did Bob have?

I mean, describe, recount, paint the picture!!!

I cut OJ's lawn one summer. Ted Kennedy pushed me aside to ogle a pretty young woman beside me. A Virginia governor stepped on my foot. Sissy Spacek is a very gracious person. But that's about it for me....

rjtwangs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Oh, come on, man. Don't TEASE us.

What did Bob have?

I mean, describe, recount, paint the picture!!!

I cut OJ's lawn one summer. Ted Kennedy pushed me aside to ogle a pretty young woman beside me. A Virginia governor stepped on my foot. Sissy Spacek is a very gracious person. But that's about it for me....
Actually, the photo was taken in New Orleans, we went to a great local joint called Frankie and Johnnie's. We both had fried crawfish poor boys, fries and we each had double slices of key lime pie with a pitcher of iced tea. We also had great sushi in LA but unfortunately I've no photos of that dinner. Hope you enjoyed my vivid memories. It's always nice to be able to spend some time with him.

RJ

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
I ejected the act(or/ress) Emma Thompson from a pub once.

Technically it was her male companion that I was slinging out; he had got into an altercation with the wee guy who came in selling the early edition of the next day's newspaper.

I'd no idea it was "Suzy Kettles" until the bar manager told me after the bar had shut.

A week later, I had to do the same with Robbie Coltrane. I knew who he was that time.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I’ve met Pat Metheny, Steve Morse, Eric Johnson, Mike Judge, Wanda Jackson, David Ball, Lee Roy Parnell, Steve Wariner, Junior Brown, Kim Mitchell, Dickey Betts, Dan Toler, James Burton, Rick Trevino, Rusty Weir, Doug Sahm, Frank Marino, Dennis Quaid, George Grantham, Frosty, Herb Remington, Jimmy Day, Tiny Moore, Johnny Gimble, Ray Benson, Maryann Price, Chris O’Connell, Glenn Tillbrook, Jerry Jeff Walker, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Kevin Welsh, Stu Cook, Steven Frumholz, Tommy Shannon, Redd Volkaert, Tom Brumley, Woody Paul, Ranger Doug Green, and a few others I can’t recall.
Most were in the course of my music store day jobs, or my bar band “opening act’’ night job.
I even had the great pleasure of playing with a few of these artists.
All were classy, cool, and great musicians.

Last edited:

RoscoeElegante

Poster Extraordinaire
Actually, the photo was taken in New Orleans, we went to a great local joint called Frankie and Johnnie's. We both had fried crawfish poor boys, fries and we each had double slices of key lime pie with a pitcher of iced tea. We also had great sushi in LA but unfortunately I've no photos of that dinner. Hope you enjoyed my vivid memories. It's always nice to be able to spend some time with him.

RJ
Well, yes, sounds tasty, but...we're always interested in that "What is he really like?" thing.

In the late '70s/early '80s, I had a neighbor whose cousin worked in his business office. She said "very moody." In some moods, he'd hand out religious pamphlets, particularly ones warning not to worship wealth, and scowl and mumble. In other moods, he was "funny and goofy."

I guess this is prying, and celebrity ogling, etc. But he is one of the most talented people around, and a once-an-epoch type.

Yours,
Kramer nagging ("Does he dunk?") Joe DiMaggio in Dinky Doughnuts

Last edited:

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
I was on the road with Jimi Hendrix for a week….my best friend’s sister was Jimi’s girlfriend….so Steve and I got to tag along for a week’s worth of shows.

I don't know how I missed this! Wow man. As a pretty big JH fan, this is very cool! I would've been on cloud 9 for the next 50 years. I'll bet you've got some fab stories! :)

trandy9850

Tele-Meister
Ad Free Member
I don't know how I missed this! Wow man. As a pretty big JH fan, this is very cool! I would've been on cloud 9 for the next 50 years. I'll bet you've got some fab stories! :)
We had to ride in a truck with the equipment….no fancy tractor trailer either….it was a U-Haul truck and we had to keep the back door propped up so we wouldn’t suffocate. 😂

Jimi liked his eggs scrambled…smoked Benson & Hedges cigarettes….and was pretty shy and quiet most of the time….looking back he was terribly insecure…always asking people if he looked ok….or sounded ok…or whatever….to be honest it got old after a while.

Some nights he sounded other-worldly…other times not so much…not unlike most of us guitar players…but when he was “on” it was like a religious experience.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
We had to ride in a truck with the equipment….no fancy tractor trailer either….it was a U-Haul truck and we had to keep the back door propped up so we wouldn’t suffocate. 😂

Jimi liked his eggs scrambled…smoked Benson & Hedges cigarettes….and was pretty shy and quiet most of the time….looking back he was terribly insecure…always asking people if he looked ok….or sounded ok…or whatever….to be honest it got old after a while.

Some nights he sounded other-worldly…other times not so much…not unlike most of us guitar players…but when he was “on” it was like a religious experience.

Wow man... what an incredible experience you had, few could ever say as much, and thanks for sharing your insights! Funny thing is that I used to smoke B&H back in the day too! Ha! They were (and probably still are) a bit more $$ than the norm, and not everyone smoked em cause of the cost diff, but I liked em and probably for the same reasons JH did... if I had to guess. What you say about his character seems to line up with all the stories, interviews, backstage videos etc. that I've ever seen i.e. he always seemed to give me that vibe of himself, watching those candid moments on video, when he wasn't on stage. Still, to be able to hang with JH for a week... wow man... WOW o_Oo_Oo_O

trandy9850

Tele-Meister
Ad Free Member
Wow man... what an incredible experience you had, few could ever say as much, and thanks for sharing your insights! Funny thing is that I used to smoke B&H back in the day too! Ha! They were (and probably still are) a bit more $$ than the norm, and not everyone smoked em cause of the cost diff, but I liked em and probably for the same reasons JH did... if I had to guess. What you say about his character seems to line up with all the stories, interviews, backstage videos etc. that I've ever seen i.e. he always seemed to give me that vibe of himself, watching those candid moments on video, when he wasn't on stage. Still, to be able to hang with JH for a week... wow man... WOW o_Oo_Oo_O
It wasn’t all roses and lollipops….Noel Redding was a total jerk…rude, condescending…had the typical “rock star” attitude and almost got his butt whipped by my friend when he said something ugly about his sister…Mitch Mitchell was very nice though…little short guy that all the girls thought was “cute”…and BTW he was a hell of a drummer who worked his butt off every show.

mindlobster

Tele-Afflicted
Same answers I always give. Jackie Chan, Debbie Harry, Gene Simmons...and if you go to the NAMM Show it's like cheating, because so many musicians are hanging around. I still in a line in Starbucks behind this woman who looked like Alicia Keys, and a guy passes the other way and says "Hi Alicia". I miss that show, will go again some time.

Addnine

Tele-Afflicted
The coolest famous person I ever met was (nerd alert) William L. Shirer. I was doing "dinner music" solo in a French restaurant. As I played, everyone ignored me, as you would expect; but ol' Bill would give this adorable little Viennese-style, fin de siecle golf clap after every tune. I told him I had read most of his books, and he said, "Thanks."

I met Reinhold Niebuhr there once too. He was so close to death that he was translucent, and he did not clap, so I'd have to go with Shirer as #1. Heh.

Here he is, about the time I met him:

1662060892211.png

It may be coincidentsl, or it may not, that I look pretty much like him these days.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I was on a beautiful beach in Kauai in the 80s and Graham Nash and his family were about 15 feet away but they left us alone.
That's what I (almost) always do, in New Orleans. For example, once we created a sort of visual shield so Michael Stipe could enjoy his club soda without the fan frenzies spotting him (easy to do, he's not that tall). I used to run a parking lot quite close to Preservation Hall, but I don't think those men (my very reliable customers) wanted to talk shop at the end of a night that might have had few and poor tippers. Folks mostly just want to go about things without fanfare.

Flip G

Tele-Holic
February 2000, I was motorcycling around South Island, NZ. One destination was Kaikura, on the coast. A beautiful spot. Looks like a southern CA beach, only facing east. Anyway, I pull into this hotel. Get the luggage in, head to the bar for a sandwich. And right outside the bar, I almost fall over this short man on the pay phone. He was hunched down, intent on the call ... I didn't even see him. So I apologize and move on, realizing I have collided with Peter Falk. What's he doing here?

In the bar, I have a seat. Next table is James Fox, drinking with Bob Hoskins. Peter Falk was clearly with them, had stepped out for a moment. They were drinking hard, having a fine old time. I did not interrupt, but definitely eavesdropped and vicariously enjoyed their company. They were loose and absolutely hilarious, especially Mr. Fox.

Next morning I realized why they were there. Filming a movie. I don't know which one, but there was a monkey in it. In fact, the monkey escaped on the set the next day, and that was at the top of the news heap for days after.
Looks like they were there filming the 2001 Lost World miniseries.

You ALMOST met Brian Blessed!
Trivia: Brian Blessed was the original choice for the Bob Hoskins role but his casting was vetoed by the American networks.
1melelwn5lxv9ufnwii24jue5zm.jpg

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
John Glenn in a Starbucks. He was in a big hurry to get out. Probably didn’t want to get caught up.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I met a guy named Bob while walking my dog. I thought he was pretty cool.
I hear that. I've got a couple of TV star neighbors, up here in our holler, and since I don't watch much TV I was very much surprised to find they're "Huck" and Steve on this Moonshiner program which runs on the Discovery Cable channel. I'm more familiar with their ability to operate heavy equipment and carry on a pleasant, informative conversation, to be honest.