Wait a minute, you met who?

BB

Poster Extraordinaire
Did Rory demand the front passengers seat, apparently that was his thing
He did ride in front, but I don't remember he demanded it. I had a 72 Monte Carlo at the time, and when he opened the passenger door, the other fella got in the back seat.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
The Melanie? Rollerskate Melanie? I had such a crush on her when I was young. Even though she was way too old for me.

Of all the people mentioned in this thread she's the only one I'm jealous someone here meeting.
Yep. !!

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
February 2000, I was motorcycling around South Island, NZ. One destination was Kaikura, on the coast. A beautiful spot. Looks like a southern CA beach, only facing east. Anyway, I pull into this hotel. Get the luggage in, head to the bar for a sandwich. And right outside the bar, I almost fall over this short man on the pay phone. He was hunched down, intent on the call ... I didn't even see him. So I apologize and move on, realizing I have collided with Peter Falk. What's he doing here?

In the bar, I have a seat. Next table is James Fox, drinking with Bob Hoskins. Peter Falk was clearly with them, had stepped out for a moment. They were drinking hard, having a fine old time. I did not interrupt, but definitely eavesdropped and vicariously enjoyed their company. They were loose and absolutely hilarious, especially Mr. Fox.

Next morning I realized why they were there. Filming a movie. I don't know which one, but there was a monkey in it. In fact, the monkey escaped on the set the next day, and that was at the top of the news heap for days after.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I've already told this story on the forum, so I won't go too far into it. I picked Bobby Vinton up out on the 99 highway north of Bakersfield where his brand new still had the paper plate on it Corvette flamed out. I took him down to the 46 and 99 intersections to Seymore's where he could get some help. This was around 1962. The gals there all went ballistic when I brought him into the cafe there.

When I worked at the Desert Inn, I did not necessarily meet them, but waited on a number of stars in the cactus room there. I was literally less than ten feet from Ann Margret when she was playing chemin de fer at the tables in the main lounge. She was wearing a black evening gown, with a dazzling array of diamonds draped around her neck. I have never seen a more beautiful woman before or sense. We were separated by ten feet, and a galaxy far, far way.

I met, and talked to Merle, and Buck, Dallas Frazier was a friend of mine. Met Leroy Van Dyke in Vegas when he was doing a show there. The guy I was with introduced him to me, and we talked for a bit, seemed a nice guy. I don't know, met a lot of people of note in my time, some I remember, some have faded away. I'm willing to bet none of them remember me! ;)

The only celebrity I wish I'd met and didn't was John Wayne. I had the opportunity to meet him after he'd been on a duck hunt out off of gun-club road and stopped off in Wasco to fill his big Blue Buick station wagon up at a gas station across the street from where I was having breakfast. Everyone in the place ran over there, and I didn't, he took a little time with each of them. I don't know why I didn't, but I've wished ever since that I had.

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
A coworker regularly works as a carpenter for Thomas Hayden Church. He'd never heard of him at all. When he met him at the gate the first time he just got out of the truck like any other ranch hand and said, "I'm Tom Church, call me Tom."
I've had lots of chances to go along to meet him but didn't feel it necessary.
I have seen him in a convenience store a couple of times but I leave him alone.
There is NO mistaking that voice.

suthol

Friend of Leo's
He did ride in front, but I don't remember he demanded it. I had a 72 Monte Carlo at the time, and when he opened the passenger door, the other fella got in the back seat.
Gerry McAvoy's book about life on the road as Rory's bass player is titled "Riding Shotgun" because Rory would always say, you get in the back I'll ride shotgun

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
Closest I ever came to royalty:

I was staying at a hotel on the waterfront in Vanc, BC and having breakfast on the "concierge" floor. Terrence Stamp (actor) was sitting there a few tables away and I smiled at him, he smiled back. As he got up to leave, I said to him "you're Clint Eastwood" aren't you. He kinda looked at me funny and after a second realized I was just jivin' with him and he smiled and laughed as he walked away.

When I lived on Maui, a good friend of a buddy of mine used to take care of the house that Mick Fleetwood owned (I think it was his, might have been McVie). We went over to the house and had a few beers with him a couple of times. It was pretty cool with the gold records hanging on the walls and stuff. He also told us about the parties they had there....

closest I ever got...

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
I have an old RAF buddy who now lives in the States; imagine Brit pop era Damon Albarn and add a decade or two. Tony's on holiday with his family when who should he get chatting to at the hotel bar but Harrison Ford, as you do! - I imagine it would've been the topic of aviation that won Mr Ford's attention since Tony always has a good tale to tell. Whatever was said, Harrison happily came over and joined them at their table for a while and was relaxed enough for a picture to record the occasion!

My own tale takes place on a ferry to the Scottish Hebridean islands. I spotted a young woman sporting a cowboy hat and guitar case who clearly wasn't a local. Since she was standing by some other instrument cases I ventured to ask if there was a music event happening on the island and this led on to a long conversation about American roots music.
She wasn't with a band she said, the other instruments weren't hers, but she would be performing at a local village hall that evening so I promised I'd go along. Well, she played to maybe 20 people that night and afterwards I don't think there was single one of us who left after with any doubt that we'd be hearing from Amythyst Kiah again some day.

loudboy

Tele-Afflicted
My favorite one was sitting and talking with Melanie for awhile . Just wanted to talk.
She lives in Sedona - plays a few times a year at a little club.

My story of randomness:

We were out taking an evening walk on the golf course, and stopped to chat with some neighbors who were having drinks on their patio. An old guy comes tooling by on a golf cart, drink in hand, and stops to say hello to them. We chat for a minute, and then off he goes.

The neighbor asks if I knew who that was. Nope. Maury Wills, famous baseball player for the Dodgers in the '60s, lives right around the corner.

teleplayr

Friend of Leo's
Was at a friends guitar shop and two guys came walking in. They told us they were working as road crew for George Throgood and for some reason one of them looked familiar.

I mentioned to him that I recognized him from somewhere but just couldn't place him.

Turned out that he had played bass with Michael Schenker and had been on one of Michael's DVD's.

dougbgt6

Tele-Meister
My daughter studied for her "A" levels at Henley College for a couple of years. She told me that one day while walking around Henley town centre an old man winked at her! Her friend said "That's George Harrison!" My daughter said "Who's George Harrison?"

George had a house next to Henley College and they saw him out and about quite often.

30 years later I'm in a supermarket check out queue with my daughter's 5 year old daughter. In front of us Theresa May (Then British Prime Minister) behind us MR TUMBLE (British Kids TV comedian) The Prime Minister? So what! But OMG!!! MR TUMBLE!!!!

Theresa May lives a couple of miles from me and quite often seen in the supermarket. Mr Tumble a little further away.

Doug

Last edited:

Tonetele

Doctor of Teleocity
Telekarster : Yes I met Brian Wilson after driving from Ceduna to Adelaide to see them on a long weekend ( 500 miles). He was happy at that. I bought him a beer, my brother reminded me of that recently. All the original Beach boys played. Carl was good on his Epiphone ( natuaral, 336 style with a Bigsby,) , Dennis played Australian football 1/2 the time. Blondie Chaplin on guitar, some drummer did a lot of Dennis' work and it was a great happy show. It was 1978/9. Michael Love was great on lead vocals. So Yeah, I met Brian Wilson and his huge body guards.

t-ray

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I haven't met any famous musicians, but I have been to the West Wing of the White House for a meeting with George W. Bush's economic advisor, Al Hubbard. That was pretty cool.

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
30 years later I'm in a supermarket check out queue with my daughter's 5 year old daughter. In front of us Theresa May (Then British Prime Minister) behind us MR TUMBLE (British Kids TV comedian) The Prime Minister? So what! But OMG!!! MR TUMBLE!!!!

Here's one for fellow brits of a certain age
I was in a pub near Kew Gardens, West London when I deferred the barmaid to serve an older gentleman who'd been waiting at the bar first. "Thank you" he said, "you're very kind".
I didn't recognise his face, but his voice was unmistakable, even after nearly 50 years...
It was Mr Benn! (Ray Brooks)

O- Fender

Friend of Leo's
This takes place a few years back about a carpenter/handyman friend. He's as stereotypical blue collar as one can be, reads magazines but not books, watches movies but isn't interested in movie makers or stars, etc.
A bunch of us met up and he started talking about the work he did fixing up a cabin. After the job was done, he sat and talked quite a long time with the owners, Stephen and Tabitha. They were going to spend more time at the cabin before heading back to Maine.
That's where the rest of us perked up.
"Stephen and Tabitha KING?"
"... yeah."
My other friend went to his car and brought back the book he was reading. He showed the picture on the dust jacket.
"This guy?"
Of course they were friendly and cool, my friend is one of a very few people that wouldn't realize who they were and weren't bombarding him with the usual questions or treating him like a star.

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
Just last night I met and chatted with Ike Willis for about 15 minutes. He was Frank Zappa's main vocalist from about 1978 on. This happened way off in the woods of Zayante (in a steep redwood canyon near Santa Cruz) at a memorial service for the original guitarist of San Jose based Zappa tribute act "Stinkfoot Orchestra". They just finished up a two week tour of the Pacific Northwest.

Picture or it didn't happen. I asked Ike to compare my nose with Frank's. "About the same" he concluded. Sorry for ridiculous selfie face. I don't do selfies and had my wrong glasses on so I couldn't see wtf I was doing. By the way, this 15-piece band is absolutely killer and you should go see them.

Attachments

• image (3).png
    image (3).png
    543.5 KB · Views: 16

Mark617

Tele-Holic
Living in the 617 , in the 70’s & 80’s, you’d see a lot of the homegrown musicians of the day. But the one I hold to most, was hanging with Benjamin Orr. He lived in our neighborhood through the first (2) albums. Then his apt building burned down. That’s when he realized he had money and joined several other band mates and moved to the Weston Estates 😂

Esquire Jones

Tele-Holic
I run into/see celebs at almost every airport. It’s uncanny and my wife can’t believe it. But it’s true. It’s a gift or curse. Not sure. 😀

Sometimes they act low key and wear ball caps or sunglasses or something. And they sometimes look different in person than what you might think.

Actors, musicians, tv personalities…You name it.

Partial list: Jamie Lee Curtis, Peter Falk, Mick Jagger, Robert Plant, Steve Cropper, Cindy Lauper, Vigo Mortensen, Ted Williams!, Shannon Sharp, David Soul, Malcom Young, Darryl Hall, Lemmy, Daryl Hannah, Caroline Kennedy….

It’s amazingly. I’ve spoken to a few of them. Most are very nice. Some not so much.

If only I could profit……😆