Wait a minute, you met who?

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
I’ve met a number of people over the years but my absolute favorite is when a pair of morning show hosts at a rock station that we had been friends with invited me and some friends to their private Christmas party. My father at the time made some joke about meeting some hippie rockers when I returned and asked who was there. I told him I met Helen Reddy who he was a big fan of. She was good friends with the station manager and was very nice.

rjtwangs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Me, back when I was fat, I had just had lunch with this guy, yes, it's Bob Dylan....
20200603_200223.jpg

RJ

Quarter1969

TDPRI Member
It was I guess 2004 when Tommy Emmanuel paid a first visit to Poland, invited by Wroclaw Society of Classical Guitar Players or sth like that. I was a part of a small but vibrant community of country music lovers (country is not popular here, there not so many fans) so we formed a group of 10 or so, drove down south there and showed up at the Philharmonic auditory where the gig was supposed to be held. We were wearing western/cowboy apparel so it was pretty easy to spot us among the audience. There were two Tommy's gigs scheduled, one after another and we stayed on both. When he started the second gig, he saw us again in the audience, and said that - as he can see some country fans - he's a got a special medley for us and played it. Of course we nailed him down after the gig talked for a minute. But this is not the end of the story - the best is yet to come :)

A year passes by and a joint effort of many people results in inviting Tommy to Poland again, this time to Warsaw. He was very pleased with the enthusiastic reaction during the first visit so it was relatively easy to ask him to come again. So the gig is about to start and me and the other country music fans talk to his manager that we have this little country music club in Warsaw and it would be so great if he just drop by after the gig, have a dinner with us, some wine and a bit of talk with us - die hard country fans. The manager is reluctant, of course, but he talks to Tommy, comes back and says, to our surprise, that Tommy will come. Then he makes it absolutely clear that no playing should be expected as Tommy does his best during the gig and he never, like NEVER, touches the guitar after the gig. OK, we were fine with that, sure.

So the gig (fantastic as always) is over and I waited for Tommy to pick him up and drive to our little club, packed with maybe 40-50 people. Once we got there, Tommy was offered a dinner, a glass of wine, and the three of us (a polish country star Lonstar, a great fingerpicker and me) with three acoustic guitars jumped on a small stage and do some playing. We were somewhere in the middle of the third song when Tommy left the table, jumped on this little stage, took the guitar out of my hands (an Epiphone EJ-200CE) and started playing with us. We all remembered what the manager said: "no playing after the gig" so that was a surprise, but we though "all right, he'll play a song or two, out of courtesey". The best part comes now - Tommy left our little stage after exactly THREE (3) FULL HOURS OF PLAYING! It was a delight, a night to never forget. After he got enough of playing (and we obviously didn't have enough of listening to him), he sat down, talk with us for another hour or so, pretty surprised we, for so many years under the communist regieme, know all the songs he knows. Then I drove him to his hotel and we did some hugging with me and my wife at that time, and said goodnight. I have to say he is one of the nicest, kindest person I have had the privilege to meet and spend some time during my life journey so far.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
I have a friend who races the Baja. He was at a bar with his team when a guy came up and introduced himself to my friend and told him he was a big fan.
My friend is pretty down to earth so he said thanks and went about celebrating with his team.
One of the guys on his team pulled him aside and asked if he knew who his fan was? My friend said he had no idea.

It turns out it was this guy.

View attachment 1010232

Even though my friend lives in Texas he had no idea who Sammy Hagar was. His wife played him "I can't drive 55" (oh and by the way my friend can't drive 55) and he looks at her and says, "that was the guy?"
Hey I clogged his toilet! About half of my life ago our band went down and played at Cabo Wabo. What a great time…

I think it was early August and KNAC had a big blowout down there, Anthrax played on the beach, and there was a week long gang of bands like Bang Tango etc.

I don’t know if it was luck or timing or possibly our demeanor (I had a birthday a little before that was a three day long bacchanal-or dare I say racchkanaal-everything was like that back then—it’s Rocktober— here on KNAC Boss radio, playing the boss tones, of the Bosstones, that my boss told me to play….Blech#%^*

But back to the demeanor part-we were all very nice people, calm and respectful nice boys

That might’ve helped because we were invited up to Sammy’s office, And there was a local girl Friday who I think might’ve been taking a vacation, But we were given the keys to about a 65 Ford country squire wagon, which I think she/they used for club business.

We used it that whole week we were there, Got a great shot of me driving, running a stop sign, with my head completely turned talking to the photographer in the backseat. Dummies can be respectful.

I actually hit the local auto parts and changed the oil, fuel and air filters, Which were the blackest sludgiest filthiest I’ve ever seen in my life, as a show of appreciation.

Hopefully that wagon brought many more years of service picking up copy paper and supplies for the bar.

I should’ve bought them a plunger, or maybe they had one but it was no use because The water was turned off.
Didn’t find that out until after I had already begged use of Sammy‘s office WC.

Speaking of water I just remembered the pool in our apartment/Hotel/motel Was particularly nasty I don’t think it got new water, just re-circulated the old, And the shower in my room was straight outta Bates Motel, if I stood in Barefeet and turned it on I would get a shock, So I could shower in my Tennies, or jump in the beach which was right there.

Oh man they even used to say ‘Rock n Bowl’ back then…

suthol

Friend of Leo's
Around 1975-76, a buddy of mine was into concert promotion. One day he asked me if I would help him out and pickup two members of the band he booked. Sure say's I.

Turns out, it was Rory Gallagher and his (iirc!) bass player. I guess the drummer was already in town. Took them from Sea-tac airport to the infamous Edgewater Hotel in Seattle.

He could not have been nicer.....a true soft spoken gentleman who was very appreciative that I picked him up. I did my best to not fan boy gawk and just told him how much I appreciated his music and playing.
Did Rory demand the front passengers seat, apparently that was his thing

suthol

Friend of Leo's
A few Australian musicians of note and due to my involvement in motorsport a few Australian legends at the track.

The most remarkably was sharing a lift and a chat with Sir Jack Brabham, I was in Adelaide on IT business and he was there as patron for Classic Adelaide a tarmac rally

raysachs

Friend of Leo's
No musicians of note, but I shot hoops with David “Skywalker” Thompson for about 20 minutes one day. He was the guy who inspired Michael Jordan as a kid. Played for NC State when they knocked off UCLA in the NCAA semi-finals (1974) and went on to win the title. Was the first pick in the NBA and ABA drafts. Signed with the ABA, and then when Alvin Adams won the NBA rookie of the year, he thanked David Thompson for going to the ABA… You younger folks may have to look him up. It was after he’d been out of basketball for a couple years (this was in ‘87). I was working for the City of Issaquah, a (then) small city outside of Seattle and took a lunch hour at the park across the street from city hall, grabbed a basketball from Parks and Rec and was shooting hoop.

After a few minutes, a cop and a handcuffed prisoner from the jail in the basement of city hall came walking over. They were talking and started heading for the court. The cop asked me if this guy could shoot around with me. I said, “if it’s ok with you, it’s ok with me - you’re the one who has him in cuffs”. So he took off the cuffs, we started shooting and talking. He basically never missed, so pretty soon I was just rebounding and feeding him.

And it was David Thompson, who spent something like six months in jail after some pretty serious drug problems he had late in his career. He was in King County jail, which was overcrowded, so they farmed some of the lower risk prisoners out to local towns with a few extra jail beds. He was an incredibly nice guy, soft spoken, and he went on to lead a very productive life - he’s still involved in the athletic department at NC State, where he was a superstar. Shooting around with THAT guy was a hell of a thrill. I was a major fan of his as a kid…

-Ray

Bangdapoontwang

Tele-Meister
So, my wife and I just got back from 2 weeks in Hawaii. (Maui and Kauai). We were sitting out over at our neighbors talking about the trip and one of the neighbors was really happy to hear about The trip. Many years ago, he was an assistant golf pro and worked for 2 years at a course on Maui. (We knew this). He told us that hearing about the trip was bringing back great memories. He became friends with one of the members at the Club where he worked. The guy was Robert (Bob) Longhi. He told us how onetime, Bob had picked him in his Cadillac and told our friend he (Bob) was going back to the mainland for a month and he wanted our friend to have his Cadillac while he was gone. Our friend said, "what if something happens?" and the guy responds , "like what? You're on an island". So, after he tells us this story he goes, "oh and that reminds me about a lunch I had with him one day. Bob calls me up at the pro shop and tells me to meet him at a little diner/ restaurant not to far away but not to tell anyone where I was going. So, Knowing Bob, I agree and drive over to the place. I walk in and Bob waves me over to the table and introduces me to the guy sitting at the table. Mark, this is my good friend George Harrison . " wait, what Mark? You met George Harrison and you never told us? Oh, I had forgotten about it until just now while we were talking about your vacation. I looked it up and Bob Longhi and George Harrison were good friends. Pretty cool story.
Bob was the owner of Longhis Restaurant on Front Street in Lahaina. It was a famous spot where Stevie Nicks and Mick Fleetwood have performed. Bob passed some time ago and the restaurant has closed, but there are now Longhis Restaurants at other locations on Maui and Oahu.

Last edited:

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
For the election 88 cycle my semi driving pulled a mobile art gallery to the presidential conventions, state fairs, and other events that had celebrities or famous people - obviously so at the presidential conventions. It meant a period of days in same elevators and spaces as some still in the news and high places from both parties. When the mobile art gallery was operating I had to be present and working the setup, generator, cooling etc.... I was clearly a truck driver and service worker in it all. It surprised me and stuck with me that Jesse Jackson and Nancy Pelosi were observant, respectful and friendly to my being a lowly service worker in it all. Other famous aind powerful people didn't notice or saw right through you.

In a very big change from truck driver and service worker, we've done many family trips to tropical places for snorkeling and diving. One time at a pub we were seated with locals or not the tours at bar and small side dining room. It took a while to realize a reserved but friendly couple was Sting and his wife.

When I used to spend 1-4 months a year in Jackson Hole friends of mine associated with and worked for some famous people. One was a concert promoter. I had some close sessions and private times with people most here would recognize in movies, bands, sports teams, industry and national politics. It being so out of context, I didn't recognize Harrison Ford up close.

In most cases I was not too impressed or thrilled by the celebrities except for the ones who were down to earth and respectful to everyone.

Tmcqtele65

Tele-Meister
Back in the early 90's I played in a hard rock band in Pittsburgh. Our singer was a cousin of Donald Roeser (AKA Buck Dharma), so when they came to Pittsburgh to play an outdoor concert one summer - we hung out with Blue Oyster Cult before the show and into the opening act. Absolutely great bunch of guys.

JeffBlue

Friend of Leo's
Years ago I met Lita Ford when I lived in Long Beach California. I bought the bass player from Canned Heat and Seymour Duncan breakfast when I went to Santa Barbara with a friend who knows Seymour I and got a tour of the factory.

I met Big Bill Morganfield, Steady Rollin' Bob Morgolan, Pinetop Perkins, Joe Louis Walker and Sonny Rhoads.
IMG_0240.jpg
IMG_0243.jpg
IMG_0248.jpg
IMG_0236.jpg
IMG_0247.jpg

Sorry for the quality.......these are photos of the photos.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
List is very long. (actors,musicians,golfers) I worked as a night auditor at a Sheraton back in late 70s
Everyone comes in and talks at 2am.
My favorite one was sitting and talking with Melanie for awhile . Just wanted to talk.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I went out for dinner in Pensacola where the movie "Midway" was being filmed. Several long tables were pushed together, and the cast was having a party. Charlton Heston was sitting in the middle like Jesus at the last supper with the lesser stars sitting around him. I remember the date wasn't much fun because she was constantly looking at the celebrities.

Last edited:

gb Custom Shop

Tele-Meister
This would have been 2019 when we had our annual Folk Festival in my city...lots of artists in town.

Anyways, a good friend of mine was a bar manager at this very small upscale bar situated downtown at the time. One day in July, this drop dead gorgeous lady comes in by herself, the seats at the bar are all available, and so she takes a seat at the bar. Well they get to chatting and chatting, probably for close to 2 hours. He had no idea who she was until she let him know at the very end. It was Kacey Musgraves.

I saw her show at the festival, and she was outstanding!! One of those emotionally moving performances. In a way, my buddy and I were both jealous of each other.

Edit: personally I've never met someone famous myself, I've only paid money to see them perform! Maybe one day though...

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
Back in the day, Shawn Lane lived in my small town for a while. He was playing with Jonas Hellborg and Jeff Sipe at the time, and Jonas was dating a local girl. Met all of them, and got to see them play a bunch of times at local, small venues.

Bob Margolin also lived here for a while, and was part of the local music scene. He's more friendly now than he was back then...

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
List is very long. (actors,musicians,golfers) I worked as a night auditor at a Sheraton back in late 70s
Everyone comes in and talks at 2am.
My favorite one was sitting and talking with Melanie for awhile . Just wanted to talk.

The Melanie? Rollerskate Melanie? I had such a crush on her when I was young. Even though she was way too old for me.

Of all the people mentioned in this thread she's the only one I'm jealous someone here meeting.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I've slept in Cher's bed.

Edit: Several times.

I'm stuck between several humorous replies here:

1. She had an estate sale and you bought some of her old furniture?

2. Was Greg there? (Not that there's anything wrong with that. )

3. And you survived? I always figured she ate her mates head afterwards - like a Praying Mantis.