Wait a minute, you met who?

GunsOfBrixton

Friend of Leo's
So, my wife and I just got back from 2 weeks in Hawaii. (Maui and Kauai). We were sitting out over at our neighbors talking about the trip and one of the neighbors was really happy to hear about The trip. Many years ago, he was an assistant golf pro and worked for 2 years at a course on Maui. (We knew this). He told us that hearing about the trip was bringing back great memories. He became friends with one of the members at the Club where he worked. The guy was Robert (Bob) Longhi. He told us how onetime, Bob had picked him in his Cadillac and told our friend he (Bob) was going back to the mainland for a month and he wanted our friend to have his Cadillac while he was gone. Our friend said, "what if something happens?" and the guy responds , "like what? You're on an island". So, after he tells us this story he goes, "oh and that reminds me about a lunch I had with him one day. Bob calls me up at the pro shop and tells me to meet him at a little diner/ restaurant not to far away but not to tell anyone where I was going. So, Knowing Bob, I agree and drive over to the place. I walk in and Bob waves me over to the table and introduces me to the guy sitting at the table. Mark, this is my good friend George Harrison . " wait, what Mark? You met George Harrison and you never told us? Oh, I had forgotten about it until just now while we were talking about your vacation. I looked it up and Bob Longhi and George Harrison were good friends. Pretty cool story.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a friend who races the Baja. He was at a bar with his team when a guy came up and introduced himself to my friend and told him he was a big fan.
My friend is pretty down to earth so he said thanks and went about celebrating with his team.
One of the guys on his team pulled him aside and asked if he knew who his fan was? My friend said he had no idea.

It turns out it was this guy.

1659042557953.png

Even though my friend lives in Texas he had no idea who Sammy Hagar was. His wife played him "I can't drive 55" (oh and by the way my friend can't drive 55) and he looks at her and says, "that was the guy?"

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The photos are at my daughter-in-law's place, but her mother was a very good friend of Robert Mitchum and his wife. My DIL's mother would often speak of Robert Mitchum, and I thought she was just going on. One day when we were over at her home, she had some photo albums out, and sure enough there she was all dressed up like a movie star with old Bob smiling away. There was even like an 8x10 of the lady, her husband and Robert and his wife (at the time?) dressed in evening clothes. Tuxedos and gowns.

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
I've met a number of famous musicians, having worked in that field for a decade.

Non-musicians, not so much. I did, however, meet William Shatner. I was out on a date and ran into him on a patio. I recognized him immediately, but didn't pull any fanboy stuff or anything like that, which he seemed to appreciate because he smiled big and tipped his beer to me. He seemed good and lifted.

sudogeek

Tele-Holic
Not actors or musicians. Pretty niche but my brother lived right across the Kam Hwy from Sunset Beach. I visited him a number of times and met a number of professional surfers (Rusty Keaulana, Sonny Garcia, Derek Ho, all world champions at one time or another, among others) and surfed with them. Super nice guys and very humbling for a B list East Coast surfer to be in the water with them.

BB

Poster Extraordinaire
Around 1975-76, a buddy of mine was into concert promotion. One day he asked me if I would help him out and pickup two members of the band he booked. Sure say's I.

Turns out, it was Rory Gallagher and his (iirc!) bass player. I guess the drummer was already in town. Took them from Sea-tac airport to the infamous Edgewater Hotel in Seattle.

He could not have been nicer.....a true soft spoken gentleman who was very appreciative that I picked him up. I did my best to not fan boy gawk and just told him how much I appreciated his music and playing.

S00NERMAN

Tele-Holic
I'm a car nut/vintage racing fan and back in 1998 my wife and I were visiting the Shelby American museum in Boulder, Colorado. Somehow in talking with the gentleman running the operation that day we managed to get on the Christmas party invite list. Got to meet Carroll Shelby, Phil Hill, Bob Bondurant, Dan Gerber and others at the height of 60's sports car racing. The stories they told were simply awesome, and we were lucky enough to make it back there for several years.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Back in the 80's I was visiting family in Los Angeles and they wanted to take me to Malibu to a favorite restaurant of theirs. The place was right on the ocean with large picture windows that gave a panoramic view of the water. It was beautiful. Anyway, we're sitting there waiting to be served. There was another family sitting in a group of tables next to us, looking like they were going to celebrate something. All of a sudden, none other than THE Betty White walks in the door and sits down at the head of their table!!! I guess it was her birthday and their family was throwing her a dinner there. It was awesome and she didn't seem anything like the character she played in Golden Girls at all. Very nice lady, and very intelligent from what I deduced.

;)

teleplayr

Friend of Leo's
A guy I worked with would hang out at the local Holiday Inn bar during the weekends.

He was sitting at a table by himself and this English guy asks if he could sit at his table. The English guy was Ritchie Blackmore!

Of course the co-worker was a country fan and didn't have a clue who Ritchie was.

Rainbow had played a gig that night and were staying at that Holiday Inn. When the local bar band took a break Ritchie and some of his band-mates jumped up on the stage and jammed.

The co-worker said "Those guys were really good!"

DUH!!!!

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Still with the Hawaiian theme... back in '85..

A mate and I went over there to sail and watch the Transpac boats come in, maybe get a delivery ride back to the States onboard..

We were walking along Kailua Beach one afternoon, no one around except a couple of folk a few hundred yards away, walking towards us... as we got closer and closer to eventually crossing as we turned to say hello, I noticed the guy was Dennis Conner the Americas cup skipper..
and I just blurted out his name, it was such a surprise to see our arch nemesis standing right there...

Crikey! it's Dennis Conner. He grinned and said hello and we had a 15 min chat about our sailing backgrounds and why we were here and where we were headed.. we offered our thoughts on whether he'd win the upcoming series. He was cool and seemed interested in what we were doing and wished us luck..

then we continued on our walks. the people you meet out walking, eh?...:)

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
Had a coupla beers with Flaco Jimenez when we opened for them back in the day. One of the nicest guys I've met, and a true legend too!

Also opened for the Howlers not long after, so I got to meet Omar Dykes as well. Maaan, that guy has MOJO written all over him! At the soundcheck, he went trough a bunch of hired Twins and then zeroed in on my tattered and highly modified Super Twin, plugged into it, turned everything to 11*, said "Holee crap, this 'un sounds GOOD!" and borrowed it for their show :D

Those were the days...

* Among other things, said behemoth was also modded for 2x6L6 class A(ish) operation. So NOPE, we didn't lose our hearing :D Just so you know...

Last edited: