1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wah Wah question

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bricksnbeatles, Jun 29, 2014.

1. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

Hi Everybody,

I have a quick question for all of you. I have had a crybaby classic for about 8 months now, and it has a bit of a stiffness to the sound, it isn't a smooth treble to bass transition, it's like treble, then you hit the midway then instant bass, the same thing with every other new wah I've ever played. I did however have to use another wah for a gig once and it was just a smooth regular wah sound, as have all other heavily used wahs I've used. So my question is, do wahs have to be sort of broken in to smooth out the treble/bass cut/add on the pot? Sorry if this wasn't in coherent sentences, it's past 2 A.M. Where I am, but I couldn't sleep untill I asked.

2. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

I also own a crybaby classic, and I've never noticed that (or any other wah) to "break in" at all. It should be good, right outta the box.

3. bricksnbeatles

Hmmm.... Every new wah I've used was like that though, I wonder why?

4. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I don't know this specific version of wah, but I usually change the pot sweep position for my taste. I am not a tech, but the interaction between the pot and inductor will have a resonant peak where the bass turns to treble. At this point of the travel, there is usually a great deal of energy from the frequency shift. Usually I like the swampier, lower frequencies of the sweep, so I adjust the mechanism back from what usually comes from the factory. Maybe the pots on the newer Dunlop products are not the correct taper though I doubt it. Obviously a cottage industry for wah mods & parts exist for this reason. I have never had any problems with older Thomas Crybaby wah pedals & have used Teese & Fulltone models with great success. Never liked the Dunlop versions except for the early Vox V847 reissue which I had the inductor changed. Maybe with exercise it will sound better, but my guess is the Q factor of the stock inductor might too narrow especially if your technique is to quickly sweep through frequencies.

5. bricksnbeatles

Thanks I'll try that, pretty much what i meant is its like this:
    treble= T
    bass=B

(Toe down)T----------T-t-tb-b-B---------------B(Heel down)
    Pretty much the full sweep is right in the middle and then after that it stays the same.

6. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

If you are adept enough, you can always reverse the throw the pedal meaning that it starts in the bass range at the switch and goes towards treble as the pedal is raised towards the heel of the foot. I am not sure which points on the switch need to re-soldered, but I figured it out from looking at a diagram. One of my Crybaby pedals is done in this way and it creates a different feel. Check the travel of the pot as well-that's super simple to do with a screwdriver. Play notes while adjusting the travel manually until you find the desired frequency sweep.

7. bricksnbeatles

I'm going to try messing with the pot sweep, how do I do so? Do I open the bottom of it and adjust where in the sweep the pot is from there or do I do it without opening the bottom?

8. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Open up the bottom of the pedal. There will be a plastic D-shaped pressure pad that is held in by a screw. Barely take the tension off the screw so the grooved plastic rod can be loosened from the grooves of the pot. Then start playing an open string with one hand & sweep with the other. You will have to be a bit gentle, but this is super simple to do. I wasn't hearing the type of sounds out of my first wah in the 70's that I wanted to hear and figured out how to adjust the sweep by trial & error. Before putting everything back together, make sure you like where the sweep is. Good luck & hopefully it will be closer to what you want.

9. bricksnbeatles

I don't see any d shaped things, is the wedge thing with the screw that is pressed against the gear rod what you mean?

image-3783967676.jpg

10. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Affirmative. On the older its a kind of d shaped loop. Loosen that up & slide the rod out of the pot. Hopefully it works better for you.

11. bricksnbeatles

thanks.

12. bricksnbeatles

I did it, and I'm liking what I got, but I bight adjust it just a little more after I use it as is for a week or two to see how I like it. I'm going to add an LED soon too.

13. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like you might want to look at a RMC wah so that you can adjust it as needed.

14. bricksnbeatles

Nah, once I have it how I need I'll keep it as is, but I just want to develop my wah skill a little more before I make any more changes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.