1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wah wah pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by orangeblossom, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Marshallfender

Marshallfender Tele-Meister

I've been very happy with my Teese Wizard Wha.Sounds great & very reliable

Attached Files:

2. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

The switchless thing is only in the DUNLOP 95Q unless you go with a Morley:neutral:
    Its a small momentary heel footswitch and the wah treadle is spring loaded so when you take your foot off it returns to the heel position and turns off the wah. Its a brilliant wah IMHO and I wont be selling mine even though it resides in the pedal drawer at the moment.

3. tomasino

tomasino Tele-Meister

K', got the Japanese Girl yesterday.

Jettisoned the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe from the pedal board (that felt good :cool:) and replaced it with the JG.
    The JG is smaller than I anticipated.. even after seeing all the videos.
    So that's cool/different.

Then played it for a couple hours last night. VERY INTERESTING.:idea:

Definitely has it's own sound, flavor, color and feel.
    It's even smoother sounding than my Clyde Deluxe with McCon-O-Wah Potentiometer. But different.
    Playing the same song/bit on the guitar, I'm getting more of "dwahp" sound than a "wah" or "quack" sound. (like I do with the Clyde).

The frequency switch selections (on the side) have a profound affect on how the treadle operates.
    It actually moves the sweet spot on the treadle a bit. It's very consistent so that's good.

One thing that was kinda weird, was I took an hour long break and when I came back the there was no signal 'till after switched the JG on n' off.
    I'll have to check that again.. maybe even RTFM! :eek:

Will play it a bunch more this weekend.

4. lancefrei

lancefrei TDPRI Member

Put me down for the old Vox Crybaby made by Thomas Organ.

5. paulandrew

paulandrew TDPRI Member

I have a 1969 Thomas organ v846.. But the ICAR pot is broken after all those years.. It's a 100K pot,. I've tried a few other pots.. But they don't make the Wah feel as good as it did..

Any ideas to some other pots that could work out?

6. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

Check out Stu Castledine at http://www.wah-wah.co.uk/ or Joe Gagan.

7. Ironbird

Ironbird Tele-Holic

This.

I've gone through many wahs, including but not limited to: GBB95 (stock and modified), Crybaby Classic, the Wylde model, 535Q and 95Q but I always come back to the BH2.

Versatile, wide sweep, no pots to wear out, very 'usable' sweet spot on the BH1 setting and very tweakable on the BH2 setting. Plus, it's cheap as hell, and Morley has excellent customer service.

8. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Congrats on your J Girl, hope it works out between you. ;)

One of the things that sold me on it was the tipping point of the treadle, it gives me greater control over the wah than the larger models I tried and I use a different part of my foot. I keep mine on the 0.4-2Khz setting, works well with middle position pu's I find. Note to self - I must investigate the other settings some more.

9. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

I had one (1) Morley wah pedal in my lifetime so far - and I hated the darn thing!! I went back to the old classic GCB-95 CryBaby wah and I have it as well as a Vox 847A on my board (actually, both are beside the board on the floor "chained" together).

However, the one pedal (that I have already mentioned here in any discussion about James Burton or his guitar effects) that has eluded me so far is the ColorSound wah/volume/fuzz pedal. One of the reasons I like the pedal mainly has to do with the treadle (hey, I rhymed!) being large enough for a person's whole foot. One reason I kinda dislike the CryBaby is because my foot sometimes wants to slip off of the pedal when using it.

I saw a ColorSound wah/volume/fuzz pedal a long while back that had been modified to where an adapter could be used with it instead of a 9V battery and I still kick myself in the *** (asteriks are mine) really hard because I didn't go after it:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      30.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      42.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      53.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      58 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      49.4 KB
      Views:
  10. rudyy_

rudyy_ TDPRI Member

Been through the wah search myself (actually, it never really ends).
    What I know for sure is:
    I never cared much for any Vox, and liked almost every Crybaby.
    The coveted Budda wah wah just 'ok' to me.
    Geoffrey Teese makes excellent wahs, and I regret selling the RMC3.
    You don't really 'need' a vintage wah, with the Picture Wah and the likes available.

Also, as the years go by I tend to gravitate toward more modern wahs and darker sound, like the JC95 or 535Q.

I've most recently played a borrowed 535Q for quite some time.
    It's an industry standard. For a typical user it'd be more than enough. It definitely won't disappoint, but it will not thrill either.
    I've never really found a good use for the boost tho.

Wah is more of a filter to me.
    Don't like constantly rocking the pedal back and forth, creating the full wah-wah effect sound.

I try to find a sweet spot to emphasize certain notes and play around with it. It's also great to combine the harmonics in the sweep of the wah with the tone knob on my guitar.

Been looking at the mint JB95 for a great price, but I'm still undecided as the MC404 looks very promising.

11. tomasino

tomasino Tele-Meister

Hey thanks.

Yea it's taking some getting used to. Foot position n' treadle travel n' all that.
    Have certainly had some great moments though, so I know there's serious potential.

Sure ain't a gas pedal! :D

12. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Gone thru a King Vox Wah and two versions of the Crybaby. Once I got the Bad Horsie II switchless - well that's all she wrote. I HATED having to stomp on them hard to get them to turn off. I never needed the "fixed wah" postition thing so it wasn't a problem. Don't think I'll buy any other.

13. tomasino

tomasino Tele-Meister

Not giving up on the Japanese Girl at all..
    But I think the next one I would try is the Morley Bad Horsie II.

Just has some good attributes:
    * Optical
    * switchless
    * other controls

14. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

UPDATE: bought (and sold) the crybaby classic. They guy I bought it from said she didn't crackle, but the pot was dirty or gone so I brought it back. Crackle aside, maybe this wah had other issues, but I thought is sounded a tad harsh. Impossible to describe, but I have heard run of the mill GCB-95s that sounded better.

Now, what I really want to try is the Buddy Guy wah. I have trouble hearing differences in pedal shootouts on Youtube, except for this wah: every video I have seen/heard of the BG wah, it sounds fantastic. Just wish they weren't so expensive. I mean, over two bills is boutique territory. Could get the CAE wah for that.

15. Joe Gagan

Joe Gagan Tele-Meister

you did a good thing getting rid of the classic. they named it classic as subterfuge, it is far from it. a bunch of extra parts ( noise , harsh treble) and a very crappy pot.
    i know wah is personal taste, but i am willing to bet that at least 9 out of 10 people would prefer the standard gcb95 in a blindfold test.
    i have not heard or played the CAE wah, but several picky customers have reported to me that they are quite hissy ( again a TON of parts in that baby).

the demos of the buddy guy wah sound good online, they do have a lot of parts but at least they used a better pot than the classic.
    incidentally, the original CAE wahs featured a special taper pot , but these proved to be short life also, they quickly changed back to the workhorse, the very very durable hotpotz2, which is what gcb95, & buddy guy wahs also have.

16. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

I'm glad I keep checking this thread. I, apparently, have got the best CryBaby Classic in the world. :D

17. euro

euro Tele-Holic

I started back in 1967 with a Vox wah, then had a LOT of different ones, including 3 Teese wahs of varying models including the picture wah.
    I then found a Vox Clyde McCoy reissue at GC . It has the most vocal sound, is not as harsh as the Cry Baby, came stock buffered in the bypass mode, and has not failed me since 2006.

If I were to replace it with an expensive wah, it would be the Mission Engineering Re-Wah.

18. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

I just watched the demo and it sounds pretty good, but are you talking the Rewah or Rewah Pro? The Pro is $280 before tax, or $1,000 Canadian. (I liked when our dollars were at parity!). I do think it would have been better to put those dip switches on the outside somewhere. At least dunlop got that right with the 535Q.

I'm finding it hard to shop for a wah. You either spend $80 on the base crybaby model and call it a day, or blow 200+ on a boutique wah. I would want the latter to be outstanding to justify the expenditure though and they're all pretty close on YouTube.

19. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Honestly, they're all in the same ballpark and big money doesn't guarantee you anything. At one time I A/B'd my 95Q with a Teese Joe Walsh wah, and prefered my Dunlop. Heck, you could true bypass a VOX V845 and have an outstanding wah for cheap.

20. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

My current favorite is the Crybaby Hendrix. Slightly different frequency sweep. Sounds great with an Esquire!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.