1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wah wah pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by orangeblossom, Jul 22, 2014.

1. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's

Been thinking of getting a wah wah. Any recommendations? Thanx.

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

George Dennis wah, the orange one

3. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Right now I use an early 80's morley distortion wah that is great for the more outlandish low-fi stuff that needs a buzzy distortion and a sweet clean wah, as well as the ability to use it as a volume pedal. The morley's are great because their optical circuit never goes scratchy. Also, I use a Jimi Hendrix wah from dunlop that is really nice with a fat thick sweep great for classic rock, but a regular cry baby can be modded to one with 2 capacitor changes.

4. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Joe Gagan is a member here, message him and see what he's got available. He modded my Ben Wah for me and it sounds very very sweet now. He can mod a Crybaby or Vox for you and he also sometimes has cool old rare wahs available too. Highly recommended, his work is solid and he knows his stuff.

5. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

I personally prefer Dunlop's designs. I own a CryBaby Classic that I've used for more than a decade now, and before that I always liked the Original too. They do require a little cleaning and a new switch from time to time, but they're quite affordable.
    I find wahs to be a very subjective sort of effect. Different people like larger or smaller sweep ranges. Lots of variables, that's for sure.

6. tomasino

tomasino Tele-Meister

I'm not a wah expert by any means.

So far, I've only owned one wah.. the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe.. Just the other day, posted about it here.

Going in, you should know that at some point, the Potentiometer will wear out and need to be replaced. No matter which wah you choose.

I can vouch for the McCon-O-Wah potentiometer as a fine replacement.
    Very nice. Was certainly an upgrade for my Clyde Deluxe.

On the boutique side is the McWah and the Area 51.

But I'm now under the impression that you could mod a cheaper pedal and achieve the same goal.

If the McCon-O-Wah upgrade didn't work out (for me).. I was going to get the latest BudWah.

7. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I could never bond with a Wah pedal until I found the Japanese Girl. Size of a Boss pedal, very good build quality. It's optical, so no potentiometer to wear out. In keeping with its name it allows for a delicacy of touch that I couldn't achieve with other, larger pedals that I tried.

japGirl_sm.jpeg

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  8. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

If you like traditional wahs get a Teese Picture wah
    If you want something not as treble y and more vocal get a Dunlop Joe Banamassa wah

trust me!!!!:D

9. tomasino

tomasino Tele-Meister

awesome! No potentiometer!
    I gotta check this out.

Thanks!

10. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

11. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

12. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

while you're at it, look at Morley wahs too, been making optical pedals since the '70's.

13. tomasino

tomasino Tele-Meister

Yea, I came across those while checking vids on UTube.
    In the vids, sounded very scratchy to me... realizing it coulda just been the vids.

The vids for the Japanese girl sounded much better.
    Actually ordered one up.. should get it next week.

14. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

The Teese wahs are probably the best made today, but they do cost some dough. I really do like the classic Thomas Organ Crybaby. Either inductor sounds pretty good though I prefer the "stack of dimes" one over the TDK 5103. These can still be found for $50 and under plus they are the classic wah sound. The early Dunlop V846 wah reissues from the 90's are also a good value though I generally avoid all products made by Jim Dunlop except the III nylon jazz picks. The older Colorsound wah pedals kind of rule too-a very different sound than a Crybaby.

Here is a link from analog man that explains some of the classic Crybaby wahs really well. Geoffrey Teese offers some elaboration on the subject

www.analogman.com/kraft.htm

15. bparnell57

Since when were classic Thomas Organ Cry Baby's $50 and under?!? I wish I could find a $40 original one....

16. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I like this one. Sturdy, and it sounds good!
    clyde-standard.jpg

17. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I have the Little Alligator, which I like for two reasons: no on/off switch, it just activates when you step on it; and it has two wahs, a regular one, and one you can adjust for sweep and boost level.

18. guitarguy97

guitarguy97 Tele-Meister

another +1 for Morley. I have a Bad Horsie 2 that I like quite a bit.

19. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

$40 would be cheap, but these sold in the last week:

www.ebay.com/itm/Crybaby-Wah-Thomas...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

www.ebay.com/itm/Thomas-Internation...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Thomas-Cry...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

So with shipping they would average $70 each. I am sure if you looked around Philly, you would find a couple for $50 or less. Still a better pedal than the Dunlop stuff.

20. bparnell57

Interesting. I normally only see $30-$40 modern cry baby's and there's one original early Thomas Organ one on craigslist for $80 that I know of. What I wish I could find would be a Clyde McCoy one... But that's got vintage value...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.