Wah Pedal/CryBaby Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Texicaster, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

¡Bueno!

It seems there's not a good search term for these pedal effects. I'm considering a Dunlop Crybaby to make it easy but before I do should I try/consider others?

Is there one that rises above or are most of the popular ones just different not better?

How about the Crybaby 535Q Multi-Wah Pedal? Twice the $$ but may offer more than twice the options.....

It's guitar store visit day which is like once every 2 months anymore!

Thanks,

TEX

24 track and OldPup like this.
  2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

The Classic is true bypass and it goes wah-wah-wah. I can't be bothered to get too technical with wahs, because they are something I use once in a while. So, I like that it doesn't irritate my tone when it is off and sounds like a wah should when it is on.

Texicaster and AngelStrummer like this.
  3. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

The Crybaby mini looks interesting too.

Deathray and Texicaster like this.
  4. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Holic

RMC10

Texicaster likes this.
  5. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

The Dimebag Darrell signature wah is worth a look, whether you care you Pantera's music or not. Lots of options to fine tune, but not confusing to figure out. It also has a switchable boost that you can fine-tune the volume of. Prices are decent, as well.

Texicaster likes this.
  6. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Any thoughts on Morley's?

There's a Bad Horsie used for a good price.....

I'm still a sucker for their old ads I'd see in guitar mags in the 70's! :D

USA Made too!

7. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

I was never a wah person, but... time... The Dunlop 95Q is "auto return" AKA spring loaded. I actually use a Bass Wah which is built the same way. I really like the action when I'm playing, but for my chaotic, noise-making endeavors, it's really easy to manipulate by hand and get a pseudo/fake theremin sound. So, if that's your thing, get a spring.

Texicaster likes this.
  8. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Holic

I’ve never liked a morley that I have had or played. I prefer the good ole crybaby for the price. If you want to spend some dough then look at the RMC stuff.

Texicaster likes this.
  9. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

I tried a Morley that would disengage when you took your foot of making it hard to get that half cocked wah sound.

After having several dunlop crybaby pedals break, I went with the fulltone Clyde standard and it still works, sounds great too...a bit more but I think it’s worth it.

Texicaster likes this.
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Crybaby mini wah. It has three different, but very popular voicings. This way, you can experiment with each voicing instead of buying and selling wahs like we used to do.

Texicaster likes this.
  11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a crybaby, and a DOD FX17 Vol/Wah which I like much better. the DOD uses an opticle coupler instead of variable resistance so is much quieter and the pot can't wear out and crackle. plus the wah setting is adjustable through 2 trimmer pots on the front of the unit. thereb is also a 5 volt control voltage for synthesizers on the unit as well

I got mine for 25.00 canuck but the 2 on ebay at present are way over priced

DSCF1171.jpg

Texicaster likes this.
  12. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

I've been happy with my Morley Power Wah. Not the new Volume model, just a basic wah pedal with a power boost option.
    Your ear will be the final judge. Get what sounds best to you.

Texicaster likes this.
  13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I had the 535Q. I wont do that again. Options are good to have but sometimes I'd just want to step on it and go . But I'd always be thinking there was a better selection for what I was doing at the time. So I got rid of it. If I ever get another wah it'll just be a simple step on it and what ya get is what ya get

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Texicaster likes this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've had a lot of wahs including various vintage ones with unobtanium inductors and the 535q with multiple voicings.
    The older US made Vox V847 is pretty cheap used and just has a great voice, worth a try for $50 or so.
    None of the voicings on the 535q are as good.

Texicaster and stratoman1 like this.
  15. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

I used an old standard Dunlop Crybaby for a long time and it did the job well (until it broke). There was one song where I needed to turn off the wah and delay at the same time which was a bit of a pain. So when I bought a new wah pedal I got a 95Q which has the spring return / auto-off.

I was excited about being able to adjust the EQ, but it didn't really go to crazy extremes as I'd hoped, so it's ok I guess but not that useful.

The auto-off feature is pretty good BUT it means
    i) I have to hold it in place for a cocked wah sound (obviously) - not a huge deal as I don't do that much.
    ii) I can't sit with the wah on the lowest tone which I actually used to do a bit. There is a trim pot to adjust how long you can be in the low position before the wah turns off, so I set that to maximum (about a second) and that works ok. I think if I ever write a song where I need to sit there for a while, I'll get some cardboard or something and jam it under the pedal so it's not quite in the off position.

I don't think you can go too far wrong with a Crybaby, but if you're going to the shop try out a bunch and see what works for you.

16. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Vox V847. All day, everyday.

17. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Thanks!

I decided to give the Morley a spin. Sounds pretty good to my ears and its action more fit what I'd call intuitive for me.

The Crybaby's I tried felt awkward.

TEX

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.