1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

WAH decisions, decisions....

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by WilburBufferson, Nov 2, 2014.

1. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

It sucks being in Canada because a lot of stores don't sell the more premium wahs, so it's impossible to try them out in advance. I'm looking for a quiet (as in lower noise floor), FAT wah sound. Most of my guitars have humbuckers. I would play the wah for cleans and Funkadelic inspired music. I am looking for more of a WOH sound rather than WAAAA.

What I've tried and didn't like (or don't want):
    Dunlop GCB-95, Dimebag, Jimi Hendrix, Classic
    BBE ZenWah
    GigFX Giga Wah
    Fulltone Clyde
    anything Morley, Ernie Ball

My shortlist / unknowns:
    RMC tunable wah (supposed to be the holy grail that gets a wide range of tones)
    Dunlop 535Q or the CAE wah (with the two inductors)
    Vox 847 (supposed to be really good on its own, or modded)
    Wilson wahs (comparable in price to the RMC, but which one to choose?)
    Dunlop Jerry Cantrell, Buddy Guy (each have good reviews but are not that far off in price from the RMC)

At this point, I am inclined to just bite the bullet and get the RMC and call it a day. A lot of online reviewers who have one say they wouldn't go back after trying one. Knowing what is on my shortlist, what would you do?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  2. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

Ive had the V847 and didnt like it because I found it sucked a lot of high end away when it wasnt on.

I have the 535q and have had it for years as my only wah. I dont fool around with the settings much, but would definetly be worth checking out.

3. WilburBufferson

I suppose a true bypass mod would take care of that. In reading up on this (and I've done a lot of it), some folks are in the VOX or Dunlop camp, realizing that there's some overlap across the years and models. The relatively recent issue of the Dunlop Clyde McCoy has me intrigued, but at about $200, I figure why not just get the RMC? Curious to hear more thoughts on this.

4. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

This is the Wah that will end this thread. If you are looking for a "WOH" sound rather than a "WAAA" sound, look no further than the Dunlop Joe Bonamassa Wah. It keeps you in the "Mid" frequency and is definitely "WOH". Trust me!!!:D:D

5. WilburBufferson

Funny you should mention this...saw the JB / Dunlop promo vid today. Apparently it's got the halo inductor. A good thing, right? Do you own it? Any idea if it was voiced for humbuckers like his fuzz, or is it more versatile? Hadn't considered this one of the dunlop stuff.

6. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

Yes I own one. It's my favorite Way. I also own a Teese Picture Wah that I use more for tradition wah sounds but the JB wah is more throaty and smoother, it never gets quacky or shrill. I use it for all my guitars, humbuckers ,single coils, and P90's.

7. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

what did joe use for his inspiration, i know he likes the old stuff. doh

chris.

8. ct_anthony

ct_anthony Tele-Meister

9. WilburBufferson

Thanks telefunken. I'll have to check one out. But that Xotic wah looks enticing. Potentially expensive, but enticing. No mention of the inductor used, but the ability to EQ the pedal is interesting. Don't know why anyone hasn't thought of that before?

10. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I bought the RMC years ago. I'll never buy another wah, because when I get bored of one tone, I just get inside and tweak it again. Mine is the old one that has the controls on the circuit board, rather than on the outside. I still love it either way.

11. koosh

koosh Tele-Meister

can i ask what you didn't like about the morley?

i love my bad horsie, the optical switching is something i couldn't go without

12. WilburBufferson

actually, now that you bring that up, i am curious about the bad horsie II based on positive online reviews... but i used to have one of those big triangle wahs from morley in the 80s or 90s that was just awful. there was barely any wah there at all, the sweep was terrible and the whole thing sounded thin. no idea what model it was, though.

another one that i should have put on the shortlist is the VOX satch wah. the promo looks good, though i am not really taken by satriani's tone/music at all despite efforts to like his music.

13. harrisonfender

harrisonfender Tele-Meister

I really like the wah on my fender fuzz wah reissue. It's smooth and clean sounding without getting too bright. However it doesn't have the widest range I've ever heard from a wah, that may be a good thing for you, it may not. It suits my needs and has a very good fuzz to go with it if you need it.

14. Joe Gagan

Joe Gagan Tele-Meister

a little info on the JB wah by dunlop. i really like the way they sound.

the promos say that joe wanted his 60s vox wah tone, but in reality the schematic shows it more like a colorsound/vox hybrid, but that's cool too. it has a switchable input that only latches or unlatches the wah input from the trubypass switch ( this turns it into either TBP or regular gcb95 non tpp but does not bypass the buffer in either setting), and an output buffer that probably makes it fuzz friendly but also can not be switched off. in other words, in and out buffers on all the time the wah is on. uses a very modern TT/ BI pot that is rated for 2 million cycles.
    i made a video of it with one of my voxey wahs:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  15. Joe Gagan

Joe Gagan Tele-Meister

\
    note - i don't know how to fiz the double thing above.

16. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

you sure can hear the WOH in the joe pedal.

chris.

17. koosh

koosh Tele-Meister

i understand. the great thing about this wah is that it has a contour that always you to change the sweep.

tone-wise it may not be the greatest thing but I was so dissapointed with the switch feature of my first crybaby. The optical switch just makes so much more sense and you can really implement the wah better. imo

18. WilburBufferson

It took a while, but I finally got there (and you were right)!
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1440962712.254976.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.