Wagon Wheel: Love it or Hate it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by IMadeYouReadThis, May 26, 2019.

Are you a fan of Darius Rucker's Wagon Wheel?

1. Yes, Wagon Wheel is a great song; I'd listen on the radio.

45 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. It certainly isn't a bad song; but I'd likely tune to another channel if it came on the radio.

37 vote(s)
    31.1%
  3. Wagon Wheel is terrible; I'd very quickly be changing the station.

37 vote(s)
    31.1%
  1. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

also i used to be around a lot of folk punk and that crowd really beat it to death. like anyone you'd every try to jam with would insist on playing it.

2. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

First time I heard it, a 13 year old girl was doing it for part of the entertainment at our church pancake breakfast fundraiser, and she sounded great, was pretty impressive. Then when I heard it on the radio, aah….no thanks.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ah, I see us villainous haters are beginning to hold sway!
    Bwa Hah Hah!;):)

Phrygian77 and Jakedog like this.
  4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I absolutely hate the song, on the level of Creed and that Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros song to me.

5. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I think the song is meh, but the crowd goes bonkers over it. My job as part of a bar band is to entertain and keep them dancing so they buy more beer, so my opinion isn't the most important part in this equation. We do a bang up job with the harmonies, I get to twang out during the solo breaks, and we do a break down in the middle of the song where the audience gets to sing at the top of their lungs and they love every minute of it. I don't see it leaving the list any time soon...

Phrygian77, Buckocaster51 and Nubs like this.
  6. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

^ That guy said it right

You might hate the song, but as long as folk out there wanna hear it, you'd be wise to play it. Try to enjoy and get into it...you might wind up enjoying yourself. OMG what a tragedy!!

Mrbob135 and Buckocaster51 like this.
  7. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

One of the first songs I learned how to play all the way through back in HS. Love me some DNC.

Hootie's version is... execrable.

8. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

"Wagon Wheel" is a song co-written by Bob Dylan and Ketch Secor of Old Crow Medicine Show.[2] Dylan recorded the chorus in 1973; Secor added verses 25 years later. Old Crow Medicine Show's final version was certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America in April 2013.[3]

The song has been covered numerous times, notably by Nathan Carter in 2012 and Darius Rucker in 2013. Rucker's version reached No. 1 on the Hot Country Songs chart and was certified triple Platinum by the RIAA in March 2014.[4]

"Wagon Wheel"
    [​IMG]
    Song by Old Crow Medicine Show
    from the album O.C.M.S.
    Released
    February 24, 2004
    Recorded 2003
    Studio RCA Studio B, Nashville, Tennessee
    Genre
    Length 3:52
    Label Nettwerk
    Songwriter(s)
    Producer(s) David Rawlings
    Music video
    "Wagon Wheel" on YouTube

9. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

This. IMO, the best part of playing live music is when the crowd is feeding you their appreciation and energy. It's what makes doing it fun, even when you personally might not care that much for the material.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Mrbob135 likes this.
  10. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Edit: The frustration of trying to edit a TDPRI post... lol

11. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Hang on, there, bud! Dylan gave this one to Joan Baez in '64. I posted the non-Joan clip here, awful sitar fills and all, because I can't stand Joan Baez. But this is a great song that Mr. D. indeed gave away.

12. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

It's catchy--and that easily becomes cloying. Can stick like a crushed bug after its charm has been exhausted. I once failed a math test in 9th grade because I could NOT get the Beatles' version of "Please, Mr. Postman" out of my head. I would have failed the test anyway, of course, but to have music be my single math-neuron's enemy? Betrayal!

I agree also that the song has been snagged by some painfully self-conscious/self-styling faux-country types--glitz on the grits stuff. That's annoying.

And some versions are WAY over-produced and over-long. As a few have said here, I too think it works best in a wobbling-wheel, kinda-drunk, unfinished, minimalist way. Dylan's original version, in other words. Gotta leave space to breathe in the cloy-potential.

What seems to irritate quite a few posters about this song is what an emblem of cheapened feelings it represents. Maybe that explains the audience-whoops when "Johnson City" is voiced in live performances of it. People are so hungry for Home that they whoop when a place that few would ever visit or want to visit, much less call home, gets mentioned. That's annoying--cheapening a basic need in an already home-cheapening culture--and pathetic--that Home becomes a whoop-trope. I guess it's better than burning apple pie inside the flag, but, Lordy, are we a roots-commodifying, quaintness-huffing people these days.

Kinda reminds me of people getting gooey-eyed during John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Roads" while driving their Oldsmobiles over highways that had chewed up those same country roads. We is one seriously conflicted culture, we is!

13. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

...elegantly put, 'Scoe! thanks.

14. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i have trouble seeing that as a john denver song because i've heard the toots and the maytalls version infinitely more times.

15. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

So far I have not written a better song.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  16. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

But did he "give it away"? He shares songwriting credit, that means he gets checks in the mail from it, right?

17. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

I get it, but like the song or not, this is the kind of attitude that gives us guitar players a bad rap.

18. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Guitar players get a bad rap for enjoying playing guitar?

Damned if you do, damned if you do!

Rustbucket likes this.
  19. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

Haha I meant more being too caught up in ourselves to care what the rest of the band is doing, but basically yes. :D

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.