Wagon Wheel: Love it or Hate it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by IMadeYouReadThis, May 26, 2019.

Are you a fan of Darius Rucker's Wagon Wheel?

1. Yes, Wagon Wheel is a great song; I'd listen on the radio.

45 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. It certainly isn't a bad song; but I'd likely tune to another channel if it came on the radio.

37 vote(s)
    31.1%
  3. Wagon Wheel is terrible; I'd very quickly be changing the station.

37 vote(s)
    31.1%
  1. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Dang song fills the dance floor every time. So regardless of our personal feelings about it, we play it every gig. That's just the way it goes in a bar band...

2. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

Fair point. Just the originals.

3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Never heard it.

4. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

There's a reason those songs became popular in the first place. The original recordings do have something special, a particular groove or feel, which cover bands seem to utterly fail to capture. "Proud Mary" too.

As for "Wagon Wheel", it seems to have been tailor-made to become a dreary hoot-night sing along warhorse.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I just want "Imadeyoureadthis" to know, I have no idea what Wagon Wheel even is and I intend to keep it that way.

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Hey, I just want to say Wagon Wheel is alright with me, mama.

7. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

didn't you just say you didn't enjoy playing it?

8. cyclopean

why are you in that band if you don't like the material? that's like marrying someone you're kind of ok with because it's better than being alone.

Jakedog likes this.
  9. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

See that's the thing - my choices are mine. Not sure why it could matter to anyone.

But here's another thing. One guy in my current weekly gig band is a very good songwriter and many, but not all, of his songs feel just great to play. I like to think I add something to them, but that's probably subjective. The few that I don't like as much are ok, just not as much fun as the what I consider the good ones to be.

This same bandmate might likely have the same experience with my material. I mean, he tells me that he likes every new song that I bring, but...what are the chances? We've been playing together in different bands for over 17 years, so I'm thinking he likes at least some of them.

There's a third songwriter in our current group, and the ratio of his songs that seem fun to me is lower. On the other hand, I like his choices for covers ( we do covers) and he started the band, etc. I just got recruited to play lead guitar for them. It's a low maintenance gig in any event, once a week, and we always have fun. Finding the perfect band to play in? I'd rather get the experience of playing weekly and dealing with the challenges, than to nobly play just what I like at home.

It's a bit of a balancing act.

I'm discussing this because I do think your intent is positive - I'm just not sure it's rooted in any real experience.

I have been in a band that self-destructed over this issue though. Original material, just not all of it needed to see the light of day. Choosing a set list shouldn't be that complicated - but it can be.

Finding material that fit the ideals of three or more people might be a little more complex than you seem to envision. That's why I asked about your experience - and yet you seem unwilling to discuss that.

None of my business, though. But your absolutes of "liking material" sort of come off as patronizing and elitist, at least to my humble background. As I have stated elsewhere here, I'm just a ratty old beer joint bar band guitarist. Not sure this discussion might even be worth your while, considering how high your standards are.

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  10. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

No.
    I said it didn't matter if I like the song or not.
    What the hey, I'll swing from a shower rod and whistle May Time if it makes folks put their phones down and dance.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    getbent likes this.
  11. cyclopean

yes, it does matter if you like the song. the last thing i want to see is musicians punching the clock. if it doesn't move you, stay off the stage and stop wasting your audience's time.

12. cyclopean

me? i'm in a two piece band and we write all of our material together. if one of us isn't excited about it, it doesn't go in the set. if music is important to you, why is having high standards a bad thing?

we've thought about adding a third musician, but it would have to be exactly the right person and we've been hemming and hawing over that.

13. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

I don't love the song, but I am happy to play it if it excites the audience and makes them dance. And I like the Dylan aspect of it. But I'm really there for the audience, not my own personal musical taste.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I wasn't aware of the Dylan connection. I still dislike "Lay Lady Lay" more.

Bruxist and IMadeYouReadThis like this.
  15. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Your words: "If one of us isn't excited..."

One out two; so which one are you - every song? How honest are you really being? How is that different, if it only takes one person in your band to decide about a song?

Never said having high standards was a bad thing. I do my level best every time I perform to add something to every song played, even if it's not something I would play on my own. Sometimes I even learn new things, despite my inclinations for a narrower musical viewpoint. Through time, I've found that some of my initial reactions change. Stuff I didn't think much of becomes compelling and vice versa.

I wish you every success with your endeavors. Every add or subtraction is another geometric increase in complexity.

check back in 20 years and let me know what you think then. I'm 67 and still playing live.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  16. Wallo Tweed

@cyclopean.
    I never said I didn't like the song. I actually enjoy playing it the way we do.
    You're just looking for an argument where one doesn't even exist.

I'm done with this.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It’s a few days later.
    Still hate it.
    Thanks for listening.

teletimetx likes this.
  18. Wallo Tweed

Mispost

19. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

“Wagon Wheel” the song:

Great song. Chorus penned by Bob Dylan, used in the end credits of a movie called “Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid”, 1972.

Verse lyrics penned by OCMS in the 2000’s. Also a great job done there.

The song is an killer piece of writing by anybody’s standards. Unfortunately, it was worn out worse than most of the Eagles catalog by every radio station and wannabe “Americana” band in the country. And that was at least 3-5 years BEFORE Hootie got a hold of it. At this point it’s the Mustang Sally or Brown Eyed Girl of country. Which is too bad, because as I said, it’s a great song.

As far as ol’ Hootie’s version... well. It’s crap. I can’t stand his fake ass auto-tuned take on “country”. Hootie and the Blowfish wasn’t an amazing band, but at least it felt real. His take on country just screams “poseur”. Top to bottom.

He’s also recently pissed all over the Drivin’ and Cryin’ Kev’n Kinney masterpiece “Straight to Hell”, which has guaranteed him to forever hold a place in my world slightly less elevated than dog crap on the bottom of my shoe.

20. cyclopean

if one of us says "hey i'm not feeling this part" we rework it until we're both excited about it. it's consensus without the hand signals, and if one of us isn't feeling a part, in all honesty, we're probably capable of writing something better. i don't want to play subpar music in front of an audience.

if i'm not dead by 67 i'll probably still be gigging.

teletimetx likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.