1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

WadeEinkauf’s 2021 Brotherhood Build – Carved Walnut Thinline

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by wadeeinkauf, Mar 7, 2021.

1. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Afflicted

Trying new things on this build. This will be a Carved Walnut Thinline, no pickguard. I am salvaging the tele pickups from a previous multi scale build. The bridge pickup is a standard Fender, and the neck pickup is a stacked Bill and Becky Lawrence. What will be new for me. I have never built a thinline..ish tele. I have never done a f hole/sound hole. My last year brotherhood build was a dulcimer and I spent a lot of time looking at sound holes. Found some I really liked and will try incorporating a design that would be a lot more common on a dulcimer than a tele. (Just hate the F hole on a tele) This will be a real challenge for me as I have no artistic ability at all. The second thing I will be trying is to get more character out of my walnut. I have built two bodies out of this piece of lumber I will be using and have not been happy with the result. This is California Black Walnut, book matched. I bought it as two 7 foot long very rough cut book matched cut 1x8s. The problem with the lumber is it is too dark. In normal room lighting it is so dark you do not see this really fantastic grain. So, I am going to try bleaching this walnut to see If I can get some contrast. I have never bleached wood before. The carve will be different for me as well. It will be a little shallower as my walnut top is only ½ inch thick, but the carve will begin closer the top than I normally do. I found some real mahogany body blanks I forgot I had. I love the color as opposed to sapele which I will try to never use again on my teles…so tired of the stripes. May go with a walnut neck with rosewood fretboard...not sure yet. On my last tele build I put in a 4 way switch. I REALLY like the added configuration of both pickups in series. If you want to make one mod that makes a big difference to your 3 position switch configuration try this.

20210306_123235.jpg 20210306_123316.jpg

2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Love me some walnut.

Mmm, walnuts . . .

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. erix

erix Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I love the smell of black walnut! I will smell it (in my mind) every time I see your posts!

E-miel, wadeeinkauf and crazydave911 like this.
  4. wadeeinkauf

I tried this Zinsser Wood bleach. It is a two part system. You put the Part A on the wood and let it stay for 10 minutes. Then you but on the part B. The directions say leave it on for 24 hours and sand off the residue. Don’t do that! Watch it, it worked very fast for me in around 10 minutes. When you get the bleaching you want wipe it off then wipe on some vinegar to neutralize the lye (part b). I am very pleased with the result. I have seen this look on guitars with walnut before but thought it was just natural color of Eastern Walnut…looks just like this.

This is after 8 minutes or so.
    20210307_090436.jpg

This was after 15 minutes or so.
    20210307_090419.jpg

About 25 minutes. The left is bleached the right is natural. This is in very bright sunlight. A Bullseye sealer applied so it will look just a little darker than this with my Simtec topcoat.

20210307_092723.jpg

As you can see this is the back of the drop top. I really like the 8 minute one, but this is in bright sunshine. I will have to do some better testing now that I see how it works.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  5. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

That walnut is a girl tree I think. My great grandfather from England raised a righteous orchard and was always careful how he planted his trees and where. Instead of the square layout like done here he did a circular setup from there, ancient Celt I believe. The outer row nuts, the next inside was a certain kind of fruit, next inner row cherries and inside grapes, figs and gooseberries. All the trees carefully placed to avoid cross pollination. Point being on the outer corners had there been any were/are 4 huge walnut trees that produce like crazy. I remember him saying that wood wasn't good to use, too dark and full of sap. I've no clue but he was good with trees, just bad with people :lol:

6. wadeeinkauf

A girl tree. I like that!!!

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. crazydave911

Yes, some, especially fruit and nut trees have a gender

8. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Good to see you in Wade :)!!!

I'm sure your guitar will be a real beauty.

The 4-way switch is what really turned me on to Teles.

Before that it was just Strat or Les Paul.

I didn't know any better ;).

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Even Kentucky Coffee trees are like that ;).

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. wadeeinkauf

For $17 for a Fender brand 4 way switch you get a fat humbucker on your tele that sounds GREAT. I am not a fan of single coils. I did a lot of testing when I started building and as soon as I started switching my Seymour Duncan pickups into parallel and single coil and realized the versatility of the humbuckers in these modes, that was it for me. I tried all those tone mods, different caps in the tele tone circuits, Bill Lawrence induction thing…..With the Duncans (and I am sure any good quality humbucker), just fire those babies into parallel mode and Bob’s your uncle! You get those highs back and you actually have 4 single coils producing slightly different tones since they are all at different nodes.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    crazydave911 and old wrench like this.
  11. wadeeinkauf

As I mentioned I am going for something different with the sound hole. I am leaning in this direction.

4d.jpg 44d.jpg download.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  12. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Yummy. I love Black walnut!

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. crazydave911

:D

14. wadeeinkauf

OK. Looking at the other really fabulous builds underway of this years Brotherhood builds I am shamed into trying harder!

Changing design to be a double cutaway carved body with a Set Neck

Changing pickups to Seymour Duncan Pickups. Whole lot of humbucker neck, Pearly Gates Bridge. I have a set with a chrome cover which I will remove for appearance sake but it will also brighten up the humbuckers a bit.

Bridge: hardtail Hipshot or a traditional strat hardtail….I have one somewhere if I can find it.

My standard switching which will allow both humbuckers to go into parallel mode with one switch.

Anyone have experience with gluing in a tele neck? I will have to do search here and see how it is done..need a tenon? Oh Boy!

fe0171505750-xl-02.jpg Fender-Telecaster-special-edition-11.jpg

15. crazydave911

Do a search here for Tuffdog, that was Merle Haggards Tele with a set neck. There was a build thread once upon a time. Me? I'd just do it like an LP,Jr or PRS. Once it's glued up with a pickguard who can tell? Lmao

Dave

wadeeinkauf likes this.
  16. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

IMHO you can rout the pocket just like you would for a bolt on, just make sure it fits well.
    The standard Fender neck pocket has a 2 and 15/16" length, which should be plenty to give it the strength you need.
    I am currently building a guitar that way, and don't foresee any issues with it. Just make sure it is standard depth and that the neck sits above the body by the proper amount, so if you are using standard bridge you can get proper action. Once you glue that in you are stuck with it.

wadeeinkauf, 2groggy and crazydave911 like this.
  17. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

On the Fender neck drawing by Freddie Tavares, in the 80's (found online and in the Duchossoir book), Fender neck specs are 3" long+/- tolerance of a few thou. Warmoth specs 3" long too. The Tdowns drawing of which most here use specs it at 3.002" long. post 585 is Rev. E

D-Size Tele Body Blueprint Files HERE | Page 30 | Telecaster Guitar Forum (tdpri.com)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    crazydave911 likes this.
  18. crazydave911

Spec I always use, not that it matters. I'd do a long LP tenon. Once the pickup and pickguard are on it won't show lol

guitarbuilder likes this.
  19. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Yeah that plus or minus is what gets you. LOL. A 16th of an inch would make zero difference I think, there is enough play in the bridge saddles to compensate for that. The point I was making is that that is plenty of surface area to glue to. You don't need an elaborate tenon or anything of the sort. But, it's your build and if you want to do a tenon, do it. Always do what you want. We're going to sit here and watch it and enjoy it either way.

20. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

My point is that 2-15/16 isn't the norm and people doing this for the first time ( we've got newbies showing up here all the time) will read that and do it...:). If I was using a bridge with little saddle travel, that 1/16" could indeed make a difference. I had to cut a spring down in a build a while ago to get the round saddle to intonate.

one example:

Brass Roller Saddle Bridge with Nuts Wrench Tune-o-Matic for LP SG Guitar Parts | eBay

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.