Wacky Wooppecker

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
We get some of that around here - mostly in springtime. It’s this guy in our neighborhood:

View attachment 985829

A Northern flicker - related to the woodpecker.

Here’s more info:

Like almost everything, you can find videos on YouTube.
Gorgeous bird

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
I have had this issue on my own house . They get the bugs moving by tapping the gutter or whatever . I replaced my old cedar siding that they were occasionally putting a hole in, with new cedar shake siding.. risky I know. But so far so good . They have not been pecking on it at all . There’s trees everywhere for goodness sake. I really don’t know how to get them away

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
Fire back with these? :cool:
2148982D-95A9-4793-A83D-1F6AE5BDACB8.gif

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
Downy woodpeckers and red headed woodpeckers are one thing, but you DO NOT want a Pileated woodpecker pecking on your house. They are large birds, and can do a lot of damage very quickly. This is a picture of the damage caused to a yellow pine beam in about 20 seconds. For scale, this is about 4 inches long, and about 1/2 inch deep. The 'pecker was after the larvae of carpenter bees that have thankfully now been well controlled. Fortunately, I was inside the house when the bird started pecking, and went out and shooed it away. After that, I suspended an aluminum pie plate from a string near the beam, and it hasn't been back.

Attachments

• pecker damage.jpg
    pecker damage.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 6

pippoman

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
It's mating season. Males bang on the loudest things they can find, all to attract a female: hollow trunks, gutters, chimney caps, street signs,... and hubcaps.
Definitely a musician woodpecker; heavy metal drummer maybe.

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
It's mating season. Males bang on the loudest things they can find, all to attract a female: hollow trunks, gutters, chimney caps, street signs,... and hubcaps.
Males banging on the loudest thing they can find to attract females?
Why does this seem familiar ?

Attachments

• 14949FBC-567E-4F25-A36F-914C9529266B.jpeg
    14949FBC-567E-4F25-A36F-914C9529266B.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 4

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
And now ladies and gentlemen we have finally answered the question of WHY young males of the human species crush beer cans against their foreheads!

Thank you TDPRI!