VVR Question

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by milocj, May 25, 2016.

1. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Just a quick question about a VVR installation in an already built Tweed Deluxe clone (I built it about 10 years ago).

The only place that I have to mount and heat sink the chip is the side wall and its very close to the incoming AC power leads that go to the "on" switch. Is there any danger of introducing additional noise if I mount the chip there?

The amp is very quiet electronically so I don't want to mess that up or move the lead dress much, causing noise that wouldn't even be related to the VVR install.

2. 2PCFFF

2PCFFF TDPRI Member

I would say no since the vvr is a part of the power supply. There is no audio signal running through it. Haven't done it myself though. I've seen people vvr 5e3s there must be a picture of the placement somewhere.

3. tresspassor

tresspassor Tele-Meister

I have an amp that I had to do the same. Hed to attach the transistor to the side wall next to the AC input. No extra noise was introduced after the installation. Good luck.

4. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Thanks for the good news.

5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I've got VVRs in 3 amps... There is a lot of power in the wires and they can induce hum if not thought about.

It will not melt or blow immediately if used without a sink so you can test it floating in the air to find a good location/orientation of wires.

I made one on a terminal strip with the MOSFET in the air in a champ but eventually moved it to the chassis side. I could have stuck a small heatsink onto it and let it float too.

Make sure you have a good mica insulator and heatsink paste. I was chasing a tone problem for ages and it turned out to be a tiny puncture in the MOSFET insulator to the chassis from a bit of rough finish.. It did not show in voltage readings. I went over the top with heatsink paste after that experience.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.