1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox with a Tele?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by fivewattworld, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I play everything through an AC-10. Love the sound. Has a great digital reverb onboard, as well. While it's true that not all drive pedals sound good through it, there are plenty that do.

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Brad Paisley fan here, too, though not one that has the skills or the tools to build my own amp. Nor was I trying to rush out and buy a VOX amp to sound like Brad.

From the summer of 2008 to early 2011, I was happy with my Peavey amps. I had a half dozen or so, and my favorite of the bunch was my Bandit 65. And I’d still have that amp if it hadn’t been stolen.

For a couple of years here on TDPRI, I’d been reading rave reviews of the Pathfinder 15R. But I never saw one in the two local guitar stores I frequent. Then on Tuesday, February 22, 2011, I went into a local pawn shop, not looking for anything in particular, and lo and behold, they had a PF 15R.

I tried it, and I expected it to be good because of all the buzz about it that I’d read here. But even so, I was surprised at how good that little amp sounded. I bought it on the spot, for $40.

It became my sound. I soon bought another one, because I realized I would always want this amp in my amp arsenal. Then, when they were discontinued in January of 2013, I bought one more for good measure.

So that’s the tele + VOX amp combination that I’m using. Usually, no pedals. I’m happy with the crunchiness I can get from the amp itself, and with the onboard tremolo and reverb. However, I sometimes use my BOSS ME-70 multi-fx pedal, and the bank of overdrive/distortion effects includes OD-1 (BOSS' classic drive pedal) and Fuzz. So when I do add a drive effect from a pedal, that’s the way I go.

3. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Mesa TA-15 on the clean Vox setting. Rat style pedal turns it into a top boost. Stack that with a TS style pedal for great sustaining lead sounds.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Those are incredible IF you have good headphones. Otherwise it's a shrill, scratchy headache.

It's amazing how close they got to an actual Vox AC30 tube amp with that tone.

5. Lance Morgan

Lance Morgan TDPRI Member

Hibler Tele - MXR mini amp - EQ - OCD - Vox 15cc1.

Sublime. Often turn all off, run amp only.

6. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

AC4 TV Mini.
    Point an SM 57 at it and receive perfection.

Millebern likes this.
  7. 72_Custom

72_Custom TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

8. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Tele- Boss RV6- AC15C1 with the Greenback speaker.

Perfection.

9. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

A Tel through an AC30 seems to work for Frank Black of the Pixies. Sounds great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.