1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Valvetronix Plus VT20+ 20w Combo

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ritsos, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Ritsos

Ritsos TDPRI Member

In my ongoing search for an amp that

a) Sounds good

b) is loud enough for small gigs (solo electric think cross between dylan carlson, dean mc phee with a bit of loren connors thrown in)

c) Will fit into a wheelie suitcase

Someone told me that this amp is Loren Connor's 'go to' amp and I wondered if anyone had used one and what you thought of it.

I've previously only looked at valve amps as the solid state ones don't usually sound great but this does look interesting.

Any thoughts ?

http://www.andertons.co.uk/combo-amps/pid19406/cid691/vox-valvetronix-plus-vt20-20w-combo.asp

Attached Files:

2. mattyboy

mattyboy Tele-Meister

I had one a couple years ago. Thought it sounded great, but a few too many knobs/buttons to deal with.
    If that doesn't bother you, then I would highly recommend it.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I love the old Valvetronix series but absolutely hate the new "+ series", I had two VT40 +'s and both died on me in short order, and both had a horrible "snare" hiss

And it wasn't just me

http://www.valvetronix.net/forums/vt80-hiss-t3969.html

The old models of Vox Valvetronix were my favorite amp, they really screwed the pooch with the new "+" series, IMO

4. Ritsos

Ritsos TDPRI Member

yes I thought that too but I'm not really a knob fiddler lol ... I'd probably spend a few hours finding the sound I wanted and just leave it there so probably would be ok. thanks

5. Ritsos

Ritsos TDPRI Member

Can I ask when you bought yours that failed? I notice the forum is four years old so hopefully those issues are resolved now.

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I had bought mine, and it's also- doomed replacement, some 3 or 4 years ago

I advise you get a Fender Mustang

7. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

I had the older VT15. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as the Mustangs. The tube has very little affect (starved-plate design, LEDs to light it up so it looks like it's doing useful stuff).

8. Zender

Zender Tele-Meister

The Vavtronix amps typically have these weaknesses.
    The12AX7 tube needs replacing due to uneven outputs.
    The speaker is a mid priced Korg($40) and averge at best.

I stuck a Celestion speaker($100) and Groove Tube 12AX7 in my VT40 in order to experience the really great features this amp offers which the tube and speaker hid. Mine now can match or exceed the sound, ambience and power of more expensive amps. It is now a very good sounding amp by anyones standards

An off the showroom floor Valvetronix with no mods is just an average sounding amp though.. With the two mods it is a night vs day change and kicks butt with both acoustic and electric guitars. .

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  9. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

I was a big fan of Valvetronix and owned 3 of them (VT15, VT40+, ADVT100). But my love for the series waned and I've since moved on.

Basically, the Valvetronix amps are great at getting you a lot of amp and handful of tonal options for not a lot of money (especially used). They're also tonally superior to what you might remember solid state combos sounding like in the 80's and 90's.

But there are better options now - both modeling and pure solid state. There are some reliability issues with the "+" series (as noted above). And I think the Mustang series is tonally superior and backed by a community of users that can get you a head start creating a preset to cover a particular sound.

If you can mic the amp for live shows, than the Vox Pathfinder 15 is a great option, but otherwise probably too quiet for a gig.

10. FenderBender10

FenderBender10 Tele-Holic

I think the Valvetronix are great amps but I'd look into a SuperChamp XD or a VHT special 6. The VHT is only 6 watts but it'll be louder than the Vox you're looking at and will sound great at very quiet volumes. The SuperChamp has great cleans and is also s great modeler, while also being a tube amp.

11. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Go with the VT40+ for gigging IMO. 20 more watts, and a 10'' speaker rather than an 8''

I have the 20+ and the 40+ they sound good, pretty versatile, my only real issue is the stock speaker. They are not rated high enough for the amps IMO, and will need an upgrade to survive

12. Ritsos

Ritsos TDPRI Member

Thanks all .... always a bit of a wormhole but will take a look at the others too .. As mentioned though, a big issue is size as I don't drive so have to take them on public transport.

Currenty using a Vox ac4c1 which is ok but looking for an alternative and preferably a bit louder, especially now I'm tending to play with less distortion so ideally a cleaner sound.

13. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I got into a "discussion" with a Facebook friend about the role of the 12ax7 in these.

He's convinced it's used in the poweramp section of all the VT amps, whereas I can only conceive of them as being part of the preamp circuit.

Vox sez it's in the "Valve REACTOR" section, whatever that means. The flow chart they publish shows it after the master volume, last before the "power volume" or some such...

Can anyone give me a not-to-technical answer to our disagreement?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.