1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Valvetronix/Pathfinders

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mike Eskimo, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

If I have a Vox AD30VT, do I need to drive 30 minutes and pick up two Non-reverb* Pathfinders someone is offering for $175 ?

Sonically, don’t I have whatever the Pathfinder offers already covered with the 30 ?

*lack of reverb is not important to me. My Oceans 11 covers that base

2. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

I’ve had the 15R in the past. Have always regretted selling it. Tried the valvetronic stuff. Couldn’t pack it up and send it back fast enough. Just my opinion, but the the AD30VT will never sound like a Pathfinder. If you’re cool with non reverb models, that’s a good deal and I think your other amp will be collecting dust soon.

black_doug likes this.
  3. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Holic

$175 for a non-reverb Pathfinder sounds high. I recently sold my 15R for $150, and a couple weeks later there was one on CL for $75... I almost jumped on it. Pathfinders are great little amps, but I guess I'm just a Fender guy. Keep checking Guitar Center's used online. They pop up on there quite often.

4. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

It’s $175 for 2 of them. I’d prefer the reverb version myself, but he says he’s fine there. So it’s really $87.50 per amp.

emisilly likes this.
  5. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

get in the car

superjam144, W.L.Weller, DFB1 and 6 others like this.
  6. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

pathfinders are great things...even the 10 watters...do the LED mod...(crush em with pliers)...pull out C12...and they are superb...
    mine really is a baby AC after doing that...no verb in them...use a verb pedal...great sounding amps...as new they have a midrange boxyvoxy eartiring thing.after 10 mins or so you want to switch them off..pull out C12...no more annoying frequencies...an amp you can use all day with much better dynamics...volume and quality of tone...quite a 3d sound when you do those mods

7. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

I don't use my PF 15r all day every day, but, it's a great little amp, and gives me a change from my Fenders. Has a much bigger sound than you would expect. Cleans are pretty great, and you can turn the gain up and get into full blown cranked Vox sound. It's a cool amp. If it's not to much of a pain and the price is right (to you)....my opinion...get one.

Wulf likes this.
  8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

For me, the 'big thing' about the Pathfinder 15R that I just LOVE ( and I do gigs with mine, maybe 6 years now) it it's real 'utility '
    - the small size/weight, great real Voxy tone ( I don't use the Boost), the Tremolo AND its Reverb ( which is real Spring, but not too strong- just right cranked)
    You take away the Reverb with the smaller model, and the ' Swiss Army knife' appeal for me just kind of goes away.
    I do use pedals, but it's good to know that for jams, small gigs, all you need is a 15R, a guitar ( with headstock tuner!).and a cable!

Edit: imagine your favorite lunch box as a kid with your favorite sandwich bag of chips and your favorite cookie or Hostess snack now imagine that lunch box without the cookies that's how I feel about a Pathfinder without Reverb

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    Telecaster88, MLHull, Wulf and 2 others like this.
  9. Chandlerman

Chandlerman Tele-Meister

Telecaster88, Wulf and emisilly like this.
  10. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

I spent 40 € for my Pathfinder 15 (non reverb). It's a great amp and I play it more often than my new TMDR

Wulf likes this.
  11. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Agree completely. The Valvetronix isn't a real amp, it's a digital representation of one...like watching a 480p Youtube drive through the mountains compared to actually driving it. The 15 or 15R is a real amp which hopefully you'll notice as soon as you try it (hopefully...)

Wulf, mugen74 and Chiogtr4x like this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Question to anyone who knows ( as a fan/happy owner of a Pathfinder):
    I know a Pathfinder is a real amp, but what is it using to get that pretty good Voxy sound ( they really have that chime with a little upper mids gnarl)?

Is it a Vox amp model, or just the right analog transistor or OP-amp, plus tone path ? Thanks!

Wulf likes this.
  13. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

It may be the only real example of magic mojo dust to actually exist. It’s literally the best ss amp ever made.

Wulf, glenlivet and Chiogtr4x like this.
  14. wabashslim

This. Transistors, opamps and design.

Wulf and Chiogtr4x like this.
  15. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/p15r_hood.html

It's good design with the right components by engineers that did their homework and paid attention to the desired sound.

Chiogtr4x, Telecaster88 and Wulf like this.
  16. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'd grab them quick for that price.

17. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I've had an AD30vt, and I have a P15r now. The AD30vt got sold when I upgraded to a VT40X.

The AD30vt does decent Vox tones, but the Pathfinder is its own thing. Neither of them will sound indistinguishable from an AC30.

If you get a Pathfinder, do it expecting to love that amp on its own terms. It has loads of Vox character, but it's not just a mini-AC30. It's a Pathfinder, and it's a superb little amp.

As to the price, I can't say. Prices are regional. Seems a little high to me since I got my 15r for $80 about two years ago, but the prices are slowly and steadily creeping up. You could buy the pair, play one and sell the other. Maybe you'll get lucky and get $100 for it.

18. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have them both, and like them both for different things. Playing live or with other musicians the Pathfinder really shines. I use the VT into a Mooer Radar for direct recording. I like the range of amp models and effects it has for recording and messing around at home, but the PF is much more of an amp, if that makes sense

19. wabashslim

I had a first-generation AD60VT...ended up not using it much, couldn't put my finger on what it was that irritated me...finally realized it had that blanket-over-it sound effect that came from the anti-aliasing filtering that that cut too many highs without quite filtering out all the digital noise. That noise, while subtle, was always there as was the compression. Eventually I got it sounding slightly better with a different tube and a reconed Celestion Blue...but it still got sent down the road. Sometimes the newer ones I've heard seemed better but still "off" for realism.

20. Chiogtr4x

Thanks! Forgot I actually had this bookmarked!

I acquire so much of this guitar stuff ( basically any info on gear I own past/present) online, or old school books and magazines, that I can't keep track.
    I need a Master Index

Hell of an amp!

gregulator450 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.