1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Valvetronix - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RollingThunder75, Apr 26, 2004.

1. RollingThunder75

RollingThunder75 Tele-Meister

Has anyone played a Valvetronix amp? I'm specifically thinking about an AD60VTX, and I'm looking for any opinions on this particular amp or the Valvetronix series in general.

My problem is that I get bored after a while with the same sound coming out of an amp. Looking at the VT, it seems like there's enough there to keep me entertained for a while. I know it's probably not going to nail all or any of the amp models exactly, if just for the physical qualities of those amps alone. But reissues aren't the same amps they were, either. Same with guitars. I'm just looking to get close.

I don't gig or anything. I just play to entertain myself and to jam with a friend or two on occasion. Are there any massive drawbacks to these amps? Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

I play a MIM 50's Classic Strat and a MIM Standard Tele, if that helps.

2. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you're open to a modeling amp this is a very good one. The use of a 12ax7 tube as an output section does give this a more "real" feel than many other modeling amps, and the simulations of other amps are quite good. These also tend to hold up pretty well in a live playing situation, where some other modeling amps won't.

3. telebuck

telebuck TDPRI Member

I have been playing a Valvetronix 60VTX for several months and really love it. I use an american deluxe tele and an in-laws borrowed LP Standard. Both sound great and unique on it.

Just started playing the guitar a year and a half ago, and liked the idea of being able to try out different sounds without having to shell out for a vox, a couple of fenders, marhsall, a bunch of pedals, etc..

Another cool thing about the valvetronix is the variable power settings. You can set this thing at 60W, 30W, 15W, or 1W. At 1W you can get some nice breakup at pretty low volumes.

The factory presets are ok, but the real fun is to put it in manual mode and tweak away.

I highly recommend. Hope this helps.

4. Oskar

Oskar Friend of Leo's

I just got one as well

I've tried the Fender Cyber line and while they were nice, I found the Valvetronix to be much easier to use. It's layout is very clear and simple (sort of like me :lol: ). It's broken down into 5 sections: amp settings, various pedals, modulation (chorus, tremolo, etc.) Delay, and Reverb. There are 16 different amp models, but no speaker cabinet simulations, which I personally prefer. You basically dial each item in. I have the AD60VT which is the one before the VTX. The difference is a NeoDog speaker in the VTX and a closed back on the VTX. The basic electronics are the same.
    On the "down" side, they are not midi so you can't dump patches into or from a computer and you are stuck using their proprietary floor pedals. Also, the tube is pretty difficult to take out and replace. It's doable, but it requires a bit of futzing around.
    Overall I think they are great amps and quite versatile. Of course the use of the 12AX7 adds a nice touch. With Fender you don't get this unless you go up to the CyberTwin. I don't believe the Cyber Deluxe or Champ has a tube. I would try them all out, but I think for the money you can't go wrong with the Vox. If you can find a used one, go for it. They are generally quite a bit cheaper.

5. ednew

ednew Tele-Holic

Vox Tonelab SE

While you're listening to Vox gear, be sure to checkout the new Tonelab SE. Been working out with mine for a month now and am just delighted with the variety of approaches and sounds AND flexibility of this bad boy.

Here's some
    blurb to get you started:

At a Glance

VOX Valve Reactor (using a 12AX7/ECC83 dual triode as a power amp tube) circuit delivers the sound and feel of actual tube power amps

Numerous built-in amp/cabinet/effect models from the Valvetronix series.

A wide range of realistic effect models, with routable spatial-type effects.

Knob-based interface for quick and intuitive editing.

Heavy-duty construction

Assignable control pedals for setting tap tempo and switching effects on/off.

Two assignable expression pedals for controlling wah, volume, and more.

A/B channel switch lets you change between two amps/cabinets within a single program.
    Program area can store 96 different sounds (including 32 preset programs).

Convenient send/return jacks for connecting external effects such as distortion/overdrive.

Dedicated editing software lets you edit and save sounds using your computer.

Auto Chromatic Tuner allows you to tune while your instrument is muted.

Convenient carry bag is included.

6. Oskar

Oskar Friend of Leo's

ToneLab nice alternative

If you don't want it all in an amp package, the ToneLab is certainly the best way to go. I had a Digitech GNX-1, which was very nice, but again, Vox seems to understand simplicity in using these things better than other manufacturers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.