Vox Valvetronix AD50VT vs. Blues junior

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by viccp073, Jun 7, 2008.

1. viccp073

viccp073 TDPRI Member

I'm sure I'm not comparing apples to apples here but I need your opinions nevertheless...

Some time ago I made a post about purchasing my first amp. For various reasons, I still have not got an amp yet. After a bit of research, I decided that I wanted a brand new Blues Junior though the price is a bit high for my budget. However, I have just come across a Vox Valvetronix AD50VT for $300 (brand new but a blemished item) on musician's friend.

Does anyone here have any experience with this? Should I stick with the Blues Junior at $475 or go for the Vox? I know the Vox is not all tube.

2. Cheesehead

Cheesehead Friend of Leo's

I owned both. I'd definitely go for the Blues Jr. Creamy true tube tone.

3. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    The Valvetronix amps are incredibly versatile and sound incredible when you've learnt how to tweak it properly.

I can't comment on the Blues Jr. But I can endorse the Vox as being a great amp.

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I would choose the Vox.

I have an AD50VT and I have a Pro Junior.

I've told this story a few times..........I had decided to buy a Blues Junior based on the tubes, power, reverb and pregain and 12" speaker. I went to a good store with the money in my pocket and I found the Blues Junior to be very boxy sounding. the mid range focus of the Blues Junior was so strong that I just didn't find the amp to be versitile at all. I played a Pro Junior and I found the Pro Junior to be some much warmer and more harmonic sounding that I walked out with the Pro Junior and a distortion pedal.

About two years later I also bought the AD50VT. The blackface setting on the Vox is warm and terrific clean or dirty. The Vox can do clean loudly, a Blues Junior cannot.

I think the VOX is going to give you a lot more creative edge that the Blues Junior.

If you want a super boxy mid range tone, get the Blues Junior. I don't think that the Blues Junior is ever going to give you a wide range of tone.

John

5. viccp073

viccp073 TDPRI Member

That's exactly what I'm concerned about. Otherwise, I have heard nothing but good things about the blues junior. I've got into playing guitars, among other reasons, because of Sonic Youth. I am assuming the Vox may be able to help me more recreating Sonic Youth's sound.

6. redddog

redddog Tele-Holic

Sonic Youth uses Valvetronics?

I don't think you can compare a VT to an old school Vox.

That would be like comparing a BF Deluxe Reverb to a Blues JR.

7. spauldingrules

spauldingrules Tele-Holic

I've had the AD50 for about 1.5 years and it works quite well, especially with a band. I have had a bunch of amps and the AD50 is perfect for small gigs and practice. However, a real tube amp will sound a lot sweeter if you just play alone at home. The AD50 is more like a versatile swiss army knife that can get a lot done, and the tube amp will be like the razor blade that does its job really well but isn't nearly as versatile.

8. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

If you want less boxy-ness out of the Blues Junior, get the NOS Tweed version with the Jensen speaker.

9. viccp073

viccp073 TDPRI Member

Doesn't Vox make its amps in China?

10. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

vic-cp, for the nearly $500 a Blues Jr. runs, Have you ever considered a Bandmaster and a 12" in a cab? Old Fenders have the sound, even old Peavey tube amps. Studio is right on ... Blues Jr.=boxxy (Blues Deville =boxxy and loud), no offense intended to Blues Jr. owners. (think outside the box).

11. klast

klast Tele-Meister

Small tube amp + multieffect

I had a Vox AD30VT for a while. It has the same effects and simulations as the AD50VT. Although it sounded better than any modern SS amps I have tried it still sounds a bit synthetic as compared with an all tube amp. When I played it alongside my Epi Valve Jr, the Epi sounded much better.

The onboard effects of the AD30VT are quite OK and more tweakable than those of e.g. a Fender SuperChamp XD. The XD has a more tube like sound, but still not like the real deal.

If it is only for home use, why not get a small tube amp such as the Epi Valve Jr or Blackheart along with a multieffect.

Klas

12. djinn1973

djinn1973 Tele-Meister

+1

I have an AD15VT and think its a fantastic modeling amp. I use it for home recording or as a grab and go amp for low volume playing at a friends house. You can get allot of really good tones and the on board effects are nice. But it does not have the same character or responsiveness as a tube amp. I would either wait and get the Blues Jr, or look in to some lower priced tube amps:
    Fender Pro Junior
    Crate V Series V18
    Peavey Windsor Studio

13. Tim73

Tim73 Friend of Leo's

I've owned both! The Vox was geat & it's the only bit of gear I have regretted selling. There are a lot of tonal options but like everybody else you'll probably stick with about 3 different settings. The footswitch and cover come seperately and this needs to be considered as additional expense. It's not a tube amp as such - the modelling makes for most of this amp. I never struggled to find a good sound with it but wound up wanting to get a real tube amp. You haven't said what you play but the Vox can do everything from country to jazz to indie to metal. As stated I tended to stick with a few sounds and the metal / rock tones remained unused by me.

The Blus Jnr is a great amp. I have never been so happy with my tone. I've since upgraded with a Ted Weber speaker and it sounds great! It's light and it's portable. This amp is perfect for me and cured all my amp GAS - I could go for a 70s Fender Twin (the local guitar shop have one and Rick the owner is desperate to sell it to me) - however I like the tone / portability of the Blues Jnr. It's really versatile for home use, studio use and live use - the 15w is loud enough. Equally the AD-50VT has a volume on the back that is adjustable for home use without losing the power. This feature isn't on their 30w or under models. My only thought is buy something that you aren't going to want to replace a few months down the line with a different amp.

A Blues Jnr can always be upgraded when more funds become available - there are loads of useful links on this site for speaker / tube etc upgrades. It doesn't have modelling so there is less variety in tone but the sound you have is more natural / better. Just my thoughts on my experience here.

14. viccp073

viccp073 TDPRI Member

Quite a few choices as I've realized.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I would like an amp with a headphone output because I do play at night time. Neither the Blues Junior and Pro Junior has this function. However, this is not an absolute requirement. As for Sonic Youth using Vox, I don't think they did. None of the amps listed among their stolen gear was Vox. My obsession with their sound will probably see me buy a Jazzmaster in the near future.

Anyway, I don't want anything too fancy since at the moment, the amp is only for home use. However, I definitely would like to have something that I will be happy with for a some time, at least for a few years. The epi valve junior seems like a good idea. Anyone else has experience with these?

Also, I don't want too many bells and whistles on my amp. After this, I'll probably get a boss me-50 for effects. Saw a digitech gnx3000 for less than $100 at a flea market yesterday but I was pretty sure it's stolen gear.

15. Cheesehead

Cheesehead Friend of Leo's

16. viccp073

viccp073 TDPRI Member

17. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    The valvetronix amps have a headphone socket, as do most multi-fx pedals.

18. viccp073

viccp073 TDPRI Member

Cheers, J-man, this makes things a bit harder ;)

Basically, I have narrowed down to the following options:
    - Peavey Windsor Studio
    - Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
    - Epiphone Valve Junior

Will make the decision in a couple of days...

19. Jenix

Jenix Tele-Holic

If your just playing at home I'd buy a Vox DA15 or AD15. The sound of your guitar through headphones is never satisfying, trust me you wont miss it at night. I had a DA15 for awhile and it was nice but the brittish tube tone I need to do the Kooks covers was not their so I bought an AC15.

If your on a budget you should watch craigslist.org musical instruments section until you find something. An amp I'd say is more important than the guitar when it comes to tone. The epi junior is a good choice, I've never used one but have heard good things.

Buy an amp to hold you over and then save for a good tube amp.

Also, research individual stomp boxes versus multifx units. There's alot of debate over whats better but you should give it some thought.

20. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

well, we've been firing up the old blues machine again in preparation for an upcoming gig -- or at least trying to get the engine to turn over -- and I've been knocked out by what a good-sounding little amp that Blues Junior is. Mine's got a ceramic blue dog in it and fresh JJs all around and it sounds fantastic. Keeps up effortlessly with bass & drums at rehearsal & small-gig levels, then turns down for living-room use and still sounds good. I have some very fancy amps around the house and yet I feel like this might actually be my favorite. Keep your eyes peeled on Craigslist -- or watch MF for a blem -- and I bet you can find one for not much more than that Vox. My bet is that it'll keep you happy for a long time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.