Vox Valvenergy Silk Drive

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I just bought one of the Vox pedals that comes with a Nutube. It’s one of their Valvenergy series, the Silk Drive. I’ve been trying it out today with my acoustic guitar, in front of my DI, into my PA. I’m looking for a way of warming up and sweetening the sound of the acoustic a little. The Silk Drive has the lowest gain compared to the others is the series. Vox says it’s designed to give you the sound of a boutique tube amp. It’s eq has controls for bass, middle, and treble so it allows me to shape the tone as well.

I’m hoping to avoid ever having to replace a tube. I also want something to replace a rack-mounted ART Tube Channel.

I can hear a significant improvement and like what the pedal adds to the tone.

My next test will be to try it with my Strat, and Tele, in front of my tube amps.

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I had some time with the Silk Drive, a Tele, and a couple of my tube amps today. The amps were a Marshall SC20 combo, and the Fender SF Champ in my avatar pic. I don’t own more than one other OD pedal, unless you want to call a Rat an overdrive. I included it in my ”tryout” anyway, along with my T-Rex Møller. The Møller and the Silk Drive, I discovered, have pretty equal amounts of gain. The Møller has the advantage of having a mix function, and a separate boost circuit. The Silk Drive has a 3-way EQ, whereas the others just a tone knob. It’s more versatile in tone-shaping. It also has a bright switch.

Switching back forth between the three I found each one to have a distinct tone. No surprise.

Conclusion: The Nutube in the Silk Drive definitely provides a smoother, more even tone. This is what I was hoping for. I predict it will see a lot of use.

Activateclint

Tele-Meister
Very nice! I love mine and never thought about trying it in for acoustic so I will.
I use mine as a direct electric solution (in the fx loop of a NUX cerberus) set juuussst clean with a bit of grit when you dig in, either with the cab sim or in preamp mode with a dark IR or in standard with a bright IR.
Wouldn't mind getting the Mystic Edge at some stage as it'll be closer to my tube amp and hopefully I can not mess with pedal settings when I going from amp to direct.
Have fun with it :)