1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox V847 wah mods

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by trxx, Feb 26, 2021.

1. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Anyone actually modded one of these to sound nice? Or are all us V847 owners sitting on a dud?

2. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

What don't you like about it? Mine has always sounded like a wah pedal.

I changed the "sweep" to be brighter but that's so I can get my amp to feed back as soon as I put the toe down. Most folks would not prefer my adjustment.

The only other wah I've owned was a Crybaby (20 years ago), I prefer the Vox.

3. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

4. Alcee

Alcee TDPRI Member

True bypass is the most common mod. Other than that there are 5 resistors that are commonly changed out for different values or trim pots. Do those before changing the inductor.

There is a ton of info on wah mods out there, and they are not very difficult to implement.

There are several folks out there selling drop in wiring kits.

Caveat: This is a deep rabbit hole.

5. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

W.L. Weller, not having used it in quite a while I plugged it in and it sounds pretty good. I want it a little brighter, chickier. Maybe user error before, or how I had it set up in my chain? I still suck at using it. That's for sure. Here is a quick sound clip of it: https://app.box.com/s/vve39fa8i3c3ge7u5k507stjc32akzma

It is sitting at it's brightest gear position already. Maybe just a cap swap would get it there (and lots of practice using it).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

By adjusting the pot gear you can get more treble or bass. Without any other mods.

W.L.Weller likes this.
  7. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Mine is set at the brightest position already.

I ran onto this for the V847a (newer version).

Maybe that is all I'm looking for.

8. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Sounds good to me. Mine is considerably brighter with the pot moved that way, but mine is also 20+ years old, maybe there have been version changes? I haven't changed any components.

9. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I have no idea. This one is made in U.S. and board says Rev. B. Black round inductor. White square caps. It looks stock.

10. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

It's great when you realize self foolishness and find out the stuff you already have is fine. Listening to some Hendrix live stuff this morning. You know, his wah wasn't really all that bright chicky either.

Something else I noticed, and I wonder if it was designed this way after all, my Fulltone MDV-3 that has a crazy bright peak and has a huge whop in the low end gets tamed somewhat at both ends of the spectrum with the stock V847 following it in the chain. And I don't mind the 'tone suck' that I'm getting with the wah in the chain.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  11. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

Take out the inductor and build another pedal with it.

12. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

For what it's worth, when I use the wah, it's connected directly to the guitar, with any OD/fuzz/boost afterwards.

If I had money that I didn't know what to do with, I'd get a Freaker Wah from Wilson. But I don't, so I haven't.

13. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Holic

Just did it by pass.thats all

14. Grenville

Grenville TDPRI Member

Castledine mods - easy to do and great. Vast improvement if you're into the 60s thing.
    Inductor replacement - ok, not so essential.
    TBP - I like it.
    Adjust the cog/teeth, free to do, changes where the dipthong is. Can make for a more natural sweep. Great.

15. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

I shifted mine with the intention of a) being able to pick the frequency of icepick mid-peak for parked-wah playing and b) to have treadle control over feedback. It's absolutely "offensive to the ears," that was my goal. (FWIW I also have 2 different ring modulators on a board with 5 pedals)

Or, a less "natural" sweep. It's up to you, and like you said, it's free and also easily reversed.

@trxx you're already better at playing Hendrix riffs than I'll ever be. Hope you can try to listen to your own playing with someone else's ears. I think it's a common difficulty. Apparently Hendrix would make everyone except the engineer leave while he sang vocals, and wanted the lights off? I can sympathize with the sentiment, if not the abilities.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.