1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox to start manufacturing in the UK again

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ricknbaker, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

I think that, regarding to industrialized gear whose assembly depends little from human hability, it's not the place where the good is made that defines its quality, but the quality of the project and the parts used. And, of course, the control of quality.
    Good and bad things can be made everywhere.
    And, of course, a well trained employee will be a well trained employee, no matter where he lives...

2. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

3. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

British owned eh?

Rolls Royce is owned by BMW, as well as Jaguar, Range Rover and Mini.
    Bentley is owned by VW

Ironically, only the Germans could save the luxury British car market. When you let the British run things by themselves you got British Leyland - mostly bankrupted by the Unions.

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Bit of trivia here: The Beatles themselves didn't ever officially endorse Vox, nor were they their favorite amps. Brian Epstein had a handshake agreement with Vox from the early days that led to the union. That agreement died when Epstein did, and almost immediately afterward The Beatles started using Fender amps in the studio.

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

This is intere$$$$ting.

6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Didn't know that. Regardless, it seems like we associate Vox chime with the Beatles since most of their output was recorded using Vox. Epstein died in ‘67 so everything through Revolver at least would be Vox.

7. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Korg is no longer the US distributor for Marshall. I think it may now be US Music, but I could be mistaken.

8. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

BMW does not own Jaguar or Range Rover. Land Rover and Jaguar are owned by Tata Motors of India, and have been since 2008.

deadbeat son likes this.
  9. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

He plays bass through Mesa amps, but uses Rose-Morris Vox amps on stage for guitar.

[​IMG]

10. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Great. Expect a massive price hike and prices of used Vox to go through the roof. There's inevitably a downside.

11. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Holic

I don't know about the PCB versions but my hand-wired AC15HW made in Taiwan seems to be pretty well built.

12. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I would be more likely to buy a UK made Vox. A lot of the newer stuff I've seen from them (and Fender) looks junky.

13. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Personally, I think Korg is a fantastic company that I hold in fairly high regard. Their products of the last decade + of the revival in analog synths have been fantastic, incredible sounds & design. The Minilogue itself is epic.

I also bought one of those "Nuvibe" univibe clones being cleared out brand new for $200 and it's great. Wouldn't do it for $500 but that's another story.

I do get the point about shifting production, not changing a thing, and charging just as much money like some Celestion speakers etc but that's for everyone to make up their own mind about.

Meanwhile, let's not forget it's the domestic retailers making a living off the stuff too.

14. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I seem to remember the same thing, but I could be wrong.

15. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Holic

I’d be interested to see if a UK made Vox could be produced and sold as cheaply as my Vietnam made AC HW. Somehow I doubt it..

16. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Dang, I wanted a good univibe and never heard of the Nuvibe.. goggled it and now I have one ordered! Thanks!!!

deytookerjaabs likes this.
  17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

When we see the prices of the UK stuff, we'll appreciate that much more the Chinese stuff.

18. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

The UK HW series 60th anniversary has been out for a while now, no? They look really good, though not friendly to the wallet I'd love to score a used AC15HW60 if they ever got down to $1500 or so but they're about $2700-$3000 new with the AC30's even more at about $4000.

I had the AC15TVHW for a minute and returned it as I just didn't want to go through the trouble of addressing all the rattling & howling it made but the last HW series looked solid.

Do yourself a favor and don't bother with the batteries. I think it's something like 3 hours run time on them, barely made it through one rehearsal as it keeps running as long as the unit is switched on.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  19. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr Tele-Meister

...is it just me, or can we score a new JMI for less than that?

...assuming JMI is still around? Or did they go under, again?

20. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

Before the Chinese-made Voxes the Vox line was made in the Marshall Factory, so they have been done before in the modern era. Those were well-regarded at the time, much more than the Rose-Morris era when there were many circuit changes done, and I believe all SS rectifiers.

Al

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.