Vox style suggestions?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by mishagolin, Feb 8, 2015.

1. mishagolin

mishagolin Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

I pulled the chassis from an old Admiral stereo record player. It has a 5y3 rectifier, pair of 12ax7 preamp tubes and a pair of el84s. It has two 4ohm SE OTs right now. If I just pick up a PP OT I can convert this over.

So I have a few ef86 preamp tubes from other salvage projects. I was thinking of building a vox style amp. Does anyone have any experiences/suggestions. Here is a list of considerations:

Vox AC10 (requires one more tube)
    Vox AC15 (requires 2 more tubes. Might be pushing the transformer limits)
    Matchless Nighthawk
    Two channel amp with a matchless nighthawk on one side and a spitfire on the other (requires one more tube)

2. Dennis Perusse

Dennis Perusse Tele-Meister

Personally I'd go for the ac-10. It's an amp that you don't hear about being done much but sounds really good. And, where you're are concerned about pushing the limits of the PT this might be a great way to go.

Dennis

3. mishagolin

mishagolin Tele-Meister

I was leaning either AC10 or nighthawk/spitfire. There's an AC10 available locally that I'll probably try out tomorrow. I have some concerns about the normal channel of the ac10 since it's just a single triode stage with a low mu.

4. mishagolin

mishagolin Tele-Meister

Wow. I tried out the AC10 today and it was WOW. The EF86 channel was very much like the nighthawk. I was surprised at the gain I got out of the normal channel. Then 5min later it died. The volume dropped dramatically on both channels. Amp definitely has some issues but for a short time it sounded great. I think I've made my choice. AC10 it is. I'll start a build thread as soon as I get working on it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.